• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankfurt

Timetable is changing from next Friday - looks as if Benton siding is being taken out of use. I'll try and find out more.

Yep, Nexus have sold sidings to a construction firm, soon to be part of a property development.

I was meant to say this is a rumour, a one that has been doing rounds for a while now. True or not I agree with everyone else that losing Benton sidings is rather backwards.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yep, Nexus have sold sidings to a construction firm, soon to be part of a property development.

What is happening to the former p-way siding on the in line? I haven't been up that way since the blockade between SGF-RGC/FLE, when it was being used as a site compound.

Anon Mouse

Established Member

Seems a bit short sighted, whats gonna happen with the Benton turn-arounds? (maybe extended to Monkseaton?:idea:)

Wonder how long it takes for the new houses to be errected and people start complaining about the railway noise and the clarty, unlit path to the Metro station?

hacman

Timetable change suggests they're to be mostly truncated at South Gosforth.

This is a very short sighted move IMO. We're going to lose a useful place for stabling stock (especially for withdrawing defective sets in service), see a less uniform timetable and the sidings there could in the distant future serve for linking with the ECML alignment (unlikely to be needed, but never bad to keep existing options open).

Hopefully they will at least move the facilities from here to the site of the old P-Way depot as that land is still free.

Jon

Established Member
Just about all of the former Pelaw - Benton services will now terminate at South Gosforth, think one has been changed to terminate at Regent Centre. Agree, very short sighted, means that the trains in the morning peak around the Coast will be very busy for the schools and DWP Longbenton. Shows how much Nexus have thought this through. Perhaps a comment from Huw Lewis will be forthcoming...

cdonnigan

slightly off subject but coachalex has put a video on his Youtube with a class 91 being dragged past Heworth on a Durham Coast Line Divert am i right in thinking Sunderland is out of gauge or something hence why they cant travel through Sunderland, can anyone clarify this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yUzlWQblk

Established Member
As long as the pan has been dropped and secured, then there isn't a problem. East Coast are diverting along the Durham Coast for the next few weekends - mainly via Hartlepool and Yarm direct to York, but there are a couple of southbound services on Sundays which will go via Allens West/Dinsdale to Darlington and reverse.

Tramfan

4052 is back in service today paired with 4008 after its fire last month.

Established Member
Nexus have confirmed that they are looking to sell it off subject to ITA agreement (so not exactly finalised yet).

Another one returned from Wabtec on Friday but only saw the tail end of the battery loco and didn't catch the number.

tjohnson86

If another unit has come back, then hopefully another one will have also gone down to Doncaster.

Crimzz

I've been told that Benton Sidings are now officially closed. Trains during peak services that used to go to Benton now terminate at South Gosforth.

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I've been told that Benton Sidings are now officially closed. Trains during peak services that used to go to Benton now terminate at South Gosforth.

As mentioned a few days earlier I would have thought it would have been better to extend them through to Monkseaton and utilise the sildings there! Very shortsighted indeed

Established Member
Last train went into it last Thursday. Apparently 'timing constraints' mean that they cannot extend them to Monkseaton. I would have thought the trains could instead use the crossover between Four Lane Ends platform 2 and Benton platform 1, but it seems as if there are no longer any services at all terminating at Benton (I'll have to double check, but when I looked at the timetables last week it seemed as if all of them had been removed).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
4076 is back and 4054 went down in its place last Friday.
4076 has been out this morning - so a very short turnaround between getting back and entering service.

Crimzz

Monument station concourse now has no access to Monument Mall, The ways in has now been blocked off for people who don't already know.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Monument station concourse now has no access to Monument Mall, The ways in has now been blocked off for people who don't already know.

I noticed that. Any idea when (or if) the access will be re-instated, I'm sick of climbing the stairs to get out and missing the access to Fenwicks Cafe Nero via TK Maxx!

Crimzz

I noticed that. Any idea when (or if) the access will be re-instated, I'm sick of climbing the stairs to get out and missing the access to Fenwicks Cafe Nero via TK Maxx!

Don't think it will get re-installed again, Was told originally that they wanted to put the ticket machines against that wall. Not sure what they are planning on doing now.

Maninblack

:)Has anyone got a list of how many Metro units are now refurbished or undergoing refurbishment? I have lost count and would appreciate it if one of you lovely people out there could enlighten me with this information. Thanks in advance.:lol:

cdonnigan

Benton sidings now disconnected. from the newtwork points been removed from line and straights put in

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Don't think it will get re-installed again, Was told originally that they wanted to put the ticket machines against that wall. Not sure what they are planning on doing now.

Thats ridiculous considering Monument Mall is being rebuilt, now that that exit is no longer people leaving the station have to climb stairs or use a urine smellling tiny lift thats a canny walk from the barriers. The escolators and lifts were ideal for those with mobility issuies, gave a direct (and dry) access to TK Maxx & Fenwicks and offered clean, secure and glass lifts to street level making elderly people more secure when leaving the station. Progress eh?

cdonnigan

and on another note DB Regio must have getting a job lot of black paint from somewhere painting the stations black looks dark and horrible.

Tramfan

:)Has anyone got a list of how many Metro units are now refurbished or undergoing refurbishment? I have lost count and would appreciate it if one of you lovely people out there could enlighten me with this information. Thanks in advance.:lol:

In (rough) order of completion:

4041, 72, 61, 42, 46, 82, 58, 57, 22, 74, 90, 53, 49, 20, 15, 29, 89, 75 and 76 are all refurbished and in service (19 units)

4033, 4010, 4079 and 4054 are under refurbishment at the moment.

Crimzz

and on another note DB Regio must have getting a job lot of black paint from somewhere painting the stations black looks dark and horrible.

Nexus decided on the New color scheme, So it falls on DB to do the painting.

Thats ridiculous considering Monument Mall is being rebuilt, now that that exit is no longer people leaving the station have to climb stairs or use a urine smellling tiny lift thats a canny walk from the barriers. The escolators and lifts were ideal for those with mobility issuies, gave a direct (and dry) access to TK Maxx & Fenwicks and offered clean, secure and glass lifts to street level making elderly people more secure when leaving the station. Progress eh?

I think that they must have something planned or they wouldn't of done it, Noticed today it was painted white.... Just makes it stand out even more.

Also Nexus said they were not refurbishing 4 metrocars due to funding, But since they got more will they be doing it....?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Also Nexus said they were not refurbishing 4 metrocars due to funding, But since they got more will they be doing it....?

Talking to a depot worker today they never had plans not to refurb more than 3 units, there were plans for 3 not to go and those would be 4001 and 4002 to form a heritage unit and another unknown metrocar which will no doubt be one of those which is still suffering from flood damage.

There is talk that there would be about done in-house at Gosforth Depot, but they believe that they will continue to still be done at Doncaster.
Apparently, they expect all metrocar's to be refurbished by Summer 2014 and by Summer of this year a full service on the St James - South Shields line is expected to be run by the refurbished units - of course they won't be limited to that line, it was just a point that they would if they like run a full service.

They are still expecting the same amount to go down and be refurbished, and this new money is expected to be into the actual infrastructure of the system. Stations being updated with better facilities.

Just as a side note, but I was also told that they are discussing allowing bicycles on certain services once it is a full refurbished fleet. However, that is only an internal rumour and as such should be treated as false.

Maninblack

I didn't realise that there were that many refurbished!! Thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated.

Established Member
Just seen 4073 going down, so presumably 4033 is at Hylton Street.

Unfortunately that access isn't a public right of way, so they can do what they want. Not sure how long the refurbishment of Monument Mall will take, but it will reopen eventually.

ModernRailways said:
Talking to a depot worker today they never had plans not to refurb more than 3 units, there were plans for 3 not to go and those would be 4001 and 4002 to form a heritage unit and another unknown metrocar which will no doubt be one of those which is still suffering from flood damage.

There is talk that there would be about done in-house at Gosforth Depot, but they believe that they will continue to still be done at Doncaster.
Apparently, they expect all metrocar's to be refurbished by Summer 2014 and by Summer of this year a full service on the St James - South Shields line is expected to be run by the refurbished units - of course they won't be limited to that line, it was just a point that they would if they like run a full service.

They are still expecting the same amount to go down and be refurbished, and this new money is expected to be into the actual infrastructure of the system. Stations being updated with better facilities.

Just as a side note, but I was also told that they are discussing allowing bicycles on certain services once it is a full refurbished fleet. However, that is only an internal rumour and as such should be treated as false.

Depends on who you talk to, but I believe that all of the Metrocars were to be refurbished until Nexus started haemorraghing money on just about all of the projects. 4001/02 are an easy target seeing as they are not the same as the rest of the fleet, and therefore would need different spec work done to them. I have no idea which the third will be, but seeing as 4044 is back in service, then there should only be one flood damaged car at the depot.

At the minute there is no set way of allocating the refurbished units on a daily basis, which is why they are seen on full diagrams and also the morning and evening peak services. As like anywhere else, it will go on a mileage basis, so putting them all on the St. James - South Shields line only doesn't sound right.

The recent funding annoucement isn't anything new - Nexus has been provisionally given around £350 million, but this is delivered in sections. Nexus has to show the DfT at various stages that it is delivering what has been promised to get the next tranche of money. The DfT seems happy so it has given out more of the money, although I'm suprised that nothing has been said about the delays. IIRC the first new ticket machine was installed in the back end of 2011, and we are now in March 2013. According to the Metro Facebook group, the new ticket machines, barriers and Pop card will all come on line fully in September, so that is nearly two years just for a small part of the overall project.

Finally, I haven't been told about bikes, and neither have the Newcastle Cycling Campaign/other transport groups who have been pressing for bicycles to be allowed on the Metro. Unfortunately I still cannot see it happening due to safety.

Crimzz

3 Metrocars not for refurbishment? That doesn't make sense as the new won't work with the old so they would be a set down.

Also Manors barriers are in place and busy being worked on to get them operational + Have got the glass walls in.

Established Member
Should have said third and fourth above.
To confirm that 4033 is back, so should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.