• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
I think this has happened before, if so why are they held at York instead of going straight to Newcastle?
Can’t get a 45mph path the whole way from Wembley to Pelaw in one go.
It’s better than it used to be, previously it was a day in Doncaster followed by a day in Tyne Yard. Now it’s just one day in York.

New post:
I assume the latest two units have now made it to Gosforth?

Last edited:

Established Member
Can’t get a 45mph path the whole way from Wembley to Pelaw in one go.
It’s better than it used to be, previously it was a day in Doncaster followed by a day in Tyne Yard. Now it’s just one day in York.

New post:
Yes, saw several pics on FB, they were collected by another 2 x 555, making it a 4 set formation to the depot from the collection point.

ModernRailways

Established Member
They have done, yes.

Just as I post this, Metro have posted to Facebook confirming the same - https://www.facebook.com/share/ZC5QGrnGauGw6NwD/

Two more new Metro trains have been successfully delivered to our depot.

They were hauled by rail across mainland Europe from the Stadler factory in Switzerland and into the UK via the Channel Tunnel.

These are the eight and ninth new Class 555 Metro trains to arrive here, with 23 units now built of the 46 that we have on order from Stadler.

The new trains remain in day time testing as we get ready to put the first ones into service for customers later this year.
IMG_6809.jpeg
Photo above shows 555021 at night coupled to a barrier vehicle awaiting delivery
IMG_6807.jpeg
Photo above shows 555002 in the sidings at South Gosforth Stadler TMD
IMG_6806.jpeg
Photo above shows a selection of Class 555 units, with newly delivered 555021 and 555002 in the foreground
IMG_6805.jpeg
Photo above shows newly delivered 555021 alongside a current metrocar

Last edited:

Trestrol

555004 should finish daytime testing this week. 555020(I think)will be next for daylight testing. There is a possibility that 555005 could be signed off next week and handed over to Nexus. Whether there are any drivers to drive it is another matter.

Last edited:

Paul_10

555004 should finish daytime testing this week. 555020(I think)will be next for daylight testing. There is a possibility that 555005 could be signed off next week and handed over to Nexus. Whether there are any drivers to drive it is another matter.

I would have my doubts given we have not seen any driver training out on the wider network.

I am surprised too see daylight testing not being tried on the Sunderland line, I might be wrong but it's a different signalling system on there and of course you got more mixed traffic on there. I know they have been to Sunderland after service finished but you still dont want some unexpected hic-cup to occur.

It will be interesting if some of these trains are in proper service in the Autumn given the apparent issues with low rail adhesion with the first few sets.

DanNCL

Established Member
I would have my doubts given we have not seen any driver training out on the wider network.

I am surprised too see daylight testing not being tried on the Sunderland line, I might be wrong but it's a different signalling system on there and of course you got more mixed traffic on there. I know they have been to Sunderland after service finished but you still dont want some unexpected hic-cup to occur.

It will be interesting if some of these trains are in proper service in the Autumn given the apparent issues with low rail adhesion with the first few sets.
I’d be amazed if there were anywhere near enough drivers trained for service.

Not really surprised about the lack of daytime testing to Sunderland though, if it’s not needed then it would be more hassle than it’s worth.

hacman

Daytime testing to Sunderland will happen I'd imagine, but given the financial implications if one of the new units decides to misbehave and sit down blocking the route I can see why this wouldn't be one of the first places to test!