• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uk airspace retricted/closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Established Member
Due to the volcano in iceland erupting, the ash cloud has caused the uk airspace to be restricted/closed until 1800, except for emergency diversions, here is the bbc reports, also found a free air traffic radar site here. the air space is usually very busy but at the moment is bare. this is only the second time this has happened iirc the last time was sept 11 , also here you can see what the ash can do to the engines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flymo

Established Member
I remember this problem with Speedbird 9 back in 1982, it kind of started my fascination with flying and all things aviation. I saw the same guy Eric Moody on Sky News this morning and if anyone knows what the ash can do he and his crew do.

I think it was Cpt Moody, it may have been someone else, who once said "I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here".

I quite agree.

mbonwick

Established Member
^No, they were closed at 1 point, but have since re-opened as the ash has moved further east.

mbonwick

Established Member
According to the BBC, no.

It's so fine it just makes the sky look a little bluer than normal AIUI.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There was a noticablity of fine dust on the cars in our road ( Epsom, Surrey ) this morning.

"Wrong sort of air!":lol:

The aviations equivalent of the wrong type of snow <D

I'm not sure if it is though, because if the ash gets into plane engines it can stall them and the plane will crash, so IMO I think its probably a good idea if planes aren;t flying into it!! :lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
National Geographic showed the Air Crash Investigation (although it didn't crash) about the BA flight in 1982 the day before the planes were grounded. Freaky coincidence!

I've seen it before, and they were very lucky that the composition of the ash allowed the engines to restart when they dropped down beneath the cloud. Otherwise it would have almost certainly been a water landing.

Established Member
Few mates in the north west said they can see some ash, maybe they know what to look for but I cant see sod all

Geezertronic

Established Member
National Geographic showed the Air Crash Investigation (although it didn't crash) about the BA flight in 1982 the day before the planes were grounded. Freaky coincidence!

I've seen it before, and they were very lucky that the composition of the ash allowed the engines to restart when they dropped down beneath the cloud. Otherwise it would have almost certainly been a water landing.

I've seen that programme a couple of times before, only the skill of the pilots and a lot of luck saved the plane that day :|

Established Member
Few mates in the north west said they can see some ash, maybe they know what to look for but I cant see sod all

Sod all here. A little bit of dust in some water on the back of the car, but I think that may have been from a passing truck this morning.
Sunset last night wasn't anything special either. Had much better, and much redder ones in the past few weeks.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Maybe you need to get a little closer? !
Photos from Marco Fulle : (click on thumbnails to see larger images)
ejafjalla18apr2010-mfulle4290j.jpg
ejafjalla16apr2010-mfulle4145j.jpg
More images of the volcano here:-
http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/eyafallajokull_20100416-en.html

EDIT - update from NATS at 21:00 today (www.nats.co.uk) :-

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Sunday April 18, 2100

Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the current restrictions across UK controlled airspace due to the volcanic ash cloud will remain in place until at least 1900 (local time) on Monday 19 April.

There may currently be some limited opportunities in Shetland for flights, subject to individual co-ordination with ATC. However, anyone hoping to travel should contact their airline before travelling to the airport.

Conditions around the movement of the layers of the volcanic ash cloud over the UK remain dynamic. NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace. We are currently awaiting CAA guidance.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

The next update will be issued at approximately 0300 (local time).

Last edited:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I can understand how a jet engine would be affected, but can it affect a turboprop?

StoneRoad

ash can also affect turboprops - there is a turbine in there!

If you look at Volcanic ash under a powerful microscope, you will see that the surface is very rough, and as it is also hard, being sucked past turbine blades threrfore erodes said blades (aka sand / shot blasting!)

If I remember correctly the BA plane that tried to fly in an ash cloud in the 1980's had most of the paint abraded down to bare metal and the cockpit windows / landing lights were so badly etched they were opaque!

I would also expect piston engines to suffer increased wear if they are run in ash-laden air.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
If I remember correctly the BA plane that tried to fly in an ash cloud in the 1980's had most of the paint abraded down to bare metal and the cockpit windows / landing lights were so badly etched they were opaque!

Yes it did, although the film was obviously dramatised for television I believe the pictures at the end of the film were of the actual plane involved.

MCR247

Established Member
UK airspace deffo closed until at leasr 1900 Monday

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Acording to my Local Travel update there is going to be no movements in UK AirSpace until atleast 1900 tonight.

So basicly seconded what MCR247 has said - oops!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
We've just been circulated at work by our corporate travel agency that it's now 01.00 tomorrow Tuesday...

HMG are apparently talking to Spain about flying the stranded passengers there and then bringing them home via Royal Navy and requisitioned merchant navy vessels...

Status
Not open for further replies.