• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skutter

I just had word from my university that they’re considering various measures to make our accommodation safer, including potentially mandating masks in communal kitchens and bathrooms etc. I really, really hope this doesn’t happen, as this is like mandating a mask inside your own home :(
Write and tell them you disagree, tell your SU or GSA too. It's unenforcable and useless in a shared room. Sadly the University is trapped and needs to go above and beyond with what it does, when faced with a genuine threat of being closed down, and news reports like https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-53552077 (NUS say universities could be a "risk to the lives of students, particularly shielding students.")

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I just had word from my university that they’re considering various measures to make our accommodation safer, including potentially mandating masks in communal kitchens and bathrooms etc. I really, really hope this doesn’t happen, as this is like mandating a mask inside your own home :(
Exactly, I’ve no idea why it’s been suggested and I can only hope that they see sense. It was a part of a list of example precautions they are considering, including a “no visitors policy” (even though households are legally allowed visitors, is this permitted?) and not allowing mixing between flat bubbles
How on earth are they going to enforce it if they have a "no visitors policy"? ;):rolleyes: (does visitors deserve to be in inverted commas? 8-))

But yes, that's absolutely absurd. Thankfully I'm staying at home for Uni!

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
Exactly, I’ve no idea why it’s been suggested and I can only hope that they see sense. It was a part of a list of example precautions they are considering, including a “no visitors policy” (even though households are legally allowed visitors, is this permitted?) and not allowing mixing between flat bubbles
Don't worry about it, nobody will pay any attention to it. What are they going to do, have the porter burst into the flat unannounced to check you're complying?
In my day no end of threats stopped people having water fights with the fire hoses in the corridors and shaving each others bodily hair in the shared bathrooms. I believe the university regretted the day it decided to make ground floor accommodation all male to reduce the risk of the bogey man climbing in the windows to attack the young ladies...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my day no end of threats stopped people having water fights with the fire hoses in the corridors and shaving each others bodily hair in the shared bathrooms. I believe the university regretted the day it decided to make ground floor accommodation all male to reduce the risk of the bogey man climbing in the windows to attack the young ladies...

In my first year I was in a ground floor flat, and we did used to climb in and out through the window. They fitted limiters to stop us doing it, so we just took it off. We were then fined something weird like £1.42 each for doing this (presumably this was the cost of the handyman's time to screw it back on).

johnnychips

Established Member
Don't worry about it, nobody will pay any attention to it. What are they going to do, have the porter burst into the flat unannounced to check you're complying?
This just brought me back to the days when I was a student, and makes me realise that if I were that age now I wouldn’t have given a **** about CV in more than a desultory sense.

trebor79

Established Member
In my first year I was in a ground floor flat, and we did used to climb in and out through the window. They fitted limiters to stop us doing it, so we just took it off. We were then fined something weird like £1.42 each for doing this (presumably this was the cost of the handyman's time to screw it back on).
And thinking about it the porters did have a habit of knocking and very quickly entering a room to check the plumbing or some such. Seemed to happen particularly often to ladies.
We did all sorts. Our block had never quick been finished, it was reputed that locked doors on each floor were an unfinished loft shaft. So we drunkenly picked did the credit card trick on the Yale lock and discovered, oh yes it's an empty lift shaft that Ben has nearly fallen down!
Then we broke into the store room. Then the bar in the dead of night. Left the money for the beer we drank on the counter. Happy days.

To bring back in topic a uni attempting to make has usage in kitchens and bathrooms is indeed ridiculous. Just ignore it.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
To bring back in topic a uni attempting to make has usage in kitchens and bathrooms is indeed ridiculous. Just ignore it.

My uni has already announced such a policy for the first term (I think - it's pretty unclear), and unfortunately knowing the sorts of people I live near at uni, I suspect it'll be heavily enforced socially.

Luckily I spend as little time as possible actually in my college's living areas, but it's going to be a shame not seeing any of my uni friends' faces all term.

DB

My uni has already announced such a policy for the first term (I think - it's pretty unclear), and unfortunately knowing the sorts of people I live near at uni, I suspect it'll be heavily enforced socially.

Luckily I spend as little time as possible actually in my college's living areas, but it's going to be a shame not seeing any of my uni friends' faces all term.

Seriously, wouldn't many people be better off considering a year out? It's going to be a pretty poor experience (socially and acedemically) for those having to negotiate this sort of nonsense.

Of course this is complicated by there being nothing much do do in a year out, and not much chance of getting short-term work...

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Seriously, wouldn't many people be better off considering a year out? It's going to be a pretty poor experience (socially and acedemically) for those having to negotiate this sort of nonsense.

Of course this is complicated by there being nothing much do do in a year out, and not much chance of getting short-term work...

Quite. It's going to be an utterly miserable year, and I suspect most people will see their academic results drop, since we can't let off steam at all. Face coverings are going to make the misery worse - not even being able to smile at a friend or see other people properly won't be good for anyone's mental state. I've already noticed an increase in arguments and misunderstandings between people in the street, because masks hide facial expressions and make communication harder - and it seems like this will be the strategy for months or even years to come...

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I did consider it but then I wouldn't be on the same page as my mates who are studying the same course at the same Uni as me. And the chances of me getting full-time employment at the moment are pretty damn slim.

Lifelong

One question I have: do I have to wear a face covering if I’m the only person in my coach? (As is the case right now) Seems entirely pointless
Apologies if this has been covered before, but as an extension of this - are coverings also mandatory within stations, as opposed to trains? I thought not but signs I’ve seen suggest yes (in which case lots of people are breaking this)...

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Forgive my ignorance, but if the virus is that bad in that it is killing people, why are police officers, public facing staff and many government ministers not wearing face masks but the rest of us are mandated to do so (and get the threat of a fine for non-compliance)? Either everyone wears them (unless genuinely medically exempt) or nobody. On my travels today, I did not see any platform staff wearing a face covering

This is a (partially) serious question

If the "industry" has exempted police officers and rail staff from wearing face masks then the virus can't be that bad - can it...?

Clearly one rule for the elite and another rule for the ordinary folk IMO

Wuffle

I find how some people use face masks "interesting" for example several solo cyclists wearing one while cycling, drivers in cars by themselves particularly the one in a convertible with the top down and of course the wearer who removes it or puts it under the chin to smoke a fag

Sadly too many governments have made a complete horlicks of this "crisis"

bramling

Veteran Member
Quite. It's going to be an utterly miserable year, and I suspect most people will see their academic results drop, since we can't let off steam at all. Face coverings are going to make the misery worse - not even being able to smile at a friend or see other people properly won't be good for anyone's mental state. I've already noticed an increase in arguments and misunderstandings between people in the street, because masks hide facial expressions and make communication harder - and it seems like this will be the strategy for months or even years to come...

The point about facial expressions is very well made. Another reason why I feel wearing a mask increases exposure to risk, but of course as that risk isn’t Covid it’s of no consequence.

bramling

Veteran Member
I find how some people use face masks "interesting" for example several solo cyclists wearing one while cycling, drivers in cars by themselves particularly the one in a convertible with the top down and of course the wearer who removes it or puts it under the chin to smoke a fag

Sadly too many governments have made a complete horlicks of this "crisis"

The amount of incorrect mask use is absolutely legion. A sensible policy like “we strongly recommend you put on a mask if you find yourself in an enclosed space where social distancing has broken down” would have worked so much better, but of course no this is the rubbish we get when we have a journo personality character for a prime minister.

bramling

Veteran Member
Forgive my ignorance, but if the virus is that bad in that it is killing people, why are police officers, public facing staff and many government ministers not wearing face masks but the rest of us are mandated to do so (and get the threat of a fine for non-compliance)? Either everyone wears them (unless genuinely medically exempt) or nobody. On my travels today, I did not see any platform staff wearing a face covering

This is a (partially) serious question

If the "industry" has exempted police officers and rail staff from wearing face masks then the virus can't be that bad - can it...?

Clearly one rule for the elite and another rule for the ordinary folk IMO

Realistically it is very difficult for staff working in “operational” environments to correctly wear masks. My place now has someone long-term sick with a broken ankle as a result of falling down a flight of stairs, which is being put down to losing footing as a result of having his field of view blocked by his mask, which was being worn to comply with the various signs that have appeared all over our building over the last few weeks - just what we needed when we’ve been running on heavily depleted numbers as it is for 5 months.

Some of the train companies are sort of saying staff should wear masks to “set an example”, however they’re on a hiding to nothing to go any further with this as they know that quite a few staff aren’t massively far from switching on the awkward mode, or walking out altogether, being utterly sick and tired of things for a variety of reasons. Quite simply the last thing anyone wants to do, apart from Boris with his flippant comment about unmanned trains, is to provoke ER issues - my place is having enough issues on multiple fronts it really doesn’t need to start a war over masks.

Jonny

Established Member
Write and tell them you disagree, tell your SU or GSA too. It's unenforcable and useless in a shared room. Sadly the University is trapped and needs to go above and beyond with what it does, when faced with a genuine threat of being closed down, and news reports like https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-53552077 (NUS say universities could be a "risk to the lives of students, particularly shielding students.")

Higher Education is an interesting one; masks in shared areas will be awkward and any sort of testing system (that one of those featured in the article suggested) will be difficult to nigh-on impossible to enforce, let alone what would happen if a vaccine came out (Universities generally don't get to see their students' medical records unless claiming disability and/or on healthcare etc. courses where occupational fitness is a concern).

Scrotnig

This really is going too far, when is this nonsense going to stop? At the moment I can't see it happening, there are now too many people with a little bit of power and they're loving every minute.
What it needs is for more people to simply say "nope, not doing it. Call the police".
Can't see that happening any time soon though. Not in sufficient numbers to overwhelm the system anyhow.

Jonny

Established Member

As someone who cycles a lot, I see some with masks on (some bus passengers, through the window or at the stop) and the occasional cyclist with one on, but mostly not and the same for those on foot. Also I don't see how I could get enough oxygen in to make the weight-loss part of the cycle ride (at a fast pace) worthwhile if I had anything impeding my breath.

BJames

Established Member
Are they for real?

Although to be honest with you, say for example you're in a flat of 6 - are you all realistically going to sit around in the kitchen with face masks on? I think not. This is the pure definition of an overly excessive regulation.

I highly doubt this plan would go ahead.

BJames

Established Member
What it needs is for more people to simply say "nope, not doing it. Call the police".
Can't see that happening any time soon though. Not in sufficient numbers to overwhelm the system anyhow.
If I was in halls this year I wouldn't be wearing a mask in my hall flat, that's for sure - that's where kitchens are after all, you're living together! What's the need!?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Although to be honest with you, say for example you're in a flat of 6 - are you all realistically going to sit around in the kitchen with face masks on? I think not. This is the pure definition of an overly excessive regulation.

Depends on who those 6 are. If one or two of them believe that the virus is like the plague, then you might have to or risk regular fights. I don't know about other unis, but at mine we don't get any choice who we're put in a "household" with.

I can see those sorts of mask fights becoming more common as time goes on, unfortunately, and not just in a domestic setting. I'm surprised we haven't heard any reports of violence from shops - tensions really do seem high enough.

BJames

Established Member
Depends on who those 6 are. If one or two of them believe that the virus is like the plague, then you might have to or risk regular fights. I don't know about other unis, but at mine we don't get any choice who we're put in a "household" with.

I can see those sorts of mask fights becoming more common as time goes on, unfortunately, and not just in a domestic setting. I'm surprised we haven't heard any reports of violence from shops - tensions really do seem high enough.
True. I keep seeing a couple of people on Facebook and other socials saying "I can't believe all these students aren't wearing masks/distancing" and the like - although I've come across many others who don't agree with this.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
True. I keep seeing a couple of people on Facebook and other socials saying "I can't believe all these students aren't wearing masks/distancing" and the like - although I've come across many others who don't agree with this.

I do think the view on masks is shaped by a very vocal minority. Unfortunately, it seems like that vocal minority are quite significant at my uni, but hopefully the majority aren't as overzealous.

If you want to know what the majority think, look how quickly the masks come off when people leave shops or get off a bus!

bramling

Veteran Member

My place had an on-train mask altercation just this afternoon, so it is happening.

The risk of trouble should certainly not be dismissed lightly, you’re so right that tensions are running increasingly high, and the hot weather doesn’t help. I don’t think masks is necessarily the major issue, merely that people are fed up and worn down generally, with masks being simply one potential flashpoint. A decent PM could have done so much more to stop cohesion falling apart, instead he seems to almost enjoy watching it happen.

Last edited:

BJames

Established Member
Earlier, one of my friends (who is actually exempt from wearing a mask) was asked where their mask was in a Sainsbury's Local this morning by a member of staff, and they told them they were exempt. The staff member was incredibly apologetic, although I didn't think Sainsbury's were policing it so wondered if this had something to do with the over-apologising.

If you want to know what the majority think, look how quickly the masks come off when people leave shops or get off a bus!
Indeed, and me too - the mask comes straight off as soon as I step out the door.

MikeWM

Established Member
The risk of trouble should certainly not be dismissed lights, you’re so right that tensions are running increasingly high, and the hot weather doesn’t help. I don’t think masks is necessarily the major issue, merely that people are fed up and worn down generally, with masks being simply one potential flashpoint. A decent PM could have done so much more to stop cohesion falling apart, instead he seems to almost enjoy watching it happen.

I think it is entirely as planned, sadly. If we're getting hot and irritated with each other, we're not directing our anger where it really should be directed - at our so-called leaders. Which suits them just fine.

BJames

Established Member
Just saw this actually from Long Eaton: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/asthmatic-shopper-shouted-at-greggs-4402957

[snip]
It is claimed that, in the Long Eaton instance, the customer was shouted at by a staff member at the town centre store for not wearing a face covering inside.

The shopper then told the staff member they suffered from asthma, but claimed she was told in response "yeah right".

[snip]

Derbyshire Live asked Greggs for their response to the shopper's claims.

A spokesperson for the firm said: "In line with the latest government guidelines, customers coming into our shops will be required to wear face coverings and we will have signage in our shops reminding customers to do so.“

So allegedly shouted at by a member of staff for not wearing a mask. Hopefully it isn't true as it's not on really (although Greggs didn't exactly deny it there), but if I was exempt and a staff member started shouting at me they'd get short shrift in return.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think it is entirely as planned, sadly. If we're getting hot and irritated with each other, we're not directing our anger where it really should be directed - at our so-called leaders. Which suits them just fine.

Sadly I think you’re right on that. It seems to tie in perfectly with the Cummings mentality.

They really do seem more than happy for people to bicker with each other.

Really we’ve had it right through this in various ways, and at no stage has anything been done to try and bring people together. Indeed the opposite when we hear comments from the likes of Cressida Dick, her vomit-judged words should have been very swiftly rebuked by someone in government.

On the other hand, perhaps BJ really is just so clueless that he doesn’t notice all this.

Last edited:

Established Member
My place had an on-train mask altercation just this afternoon, so it is happening.

The risk of trouble should certainly not be dismissed lightly, you’re so right that tensions are running increasingly high, and the hot weather doesn’t help. I don’t think masks is necessarily the major issue, merely that people are fed up and worn down generally, with masks being simply one potential flashpoint. A decent PM could have done so much more to stop cohesion falling apart, instead he seems to almost enjoy watching it happen.

I’ve just had the pleasure of navigating my way home from work across central London. There are nowhere near as many revellers as on a typical Friday night pre Covid, but I saw several bad tempered exchanges, one of which led to an egress being pulled, and an ensuing delay at London Bridge (which I shortened by resetting it myself when the platform staff couldn’t manage it!)

It’s no doubt a combination of the events of the last few months, alcohol and today’s scorching heat, but there’s a unpleasant undercurrent of aggression at the moment. Exactly as you say, masks are yet another potential flashpoint, along with differing views on “social distancing“ etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.