• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Rail Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where/How can I obtain a copy of the full UK passenger rail map?

A similar size to that which was available with the full timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are there none on there that meet your needs? If so, what are your requirements exactly?

What size paper are you looking to print on?

takno

Established Member

janb

It's probably just me, but I've always found the Project Mapping maps to be almost unbelievably ugly. Essentially I think I'd rather be lost than spend time looking at one.

No its not just you, they are ugly. I much prefer the traditional NR version. (Geoff Marshall of All The Stations fame is also using pdf of the old version on his phone rather than Project Mapping).

U-Bahnfreund

I prefer the Project Mapping version, as it shows all stations on one map and depicts the different TOCs and also trams and metros. Of course, it's not probably not working as a printed map, but on the phone it's quite good and - in my opinion - much better than the 2013 NR map. I think it's much easier to get an overview of the network and find connections on Project Mapping's map.

Shinkansenfan

It's probably just me, but I've always found the Project Mapping maps to be almost unbelievably ugly. Essentially I think I'd rather be lost than spend time looking at one.

I second that thought!

I prefer the classic BR map that used to accompany the Great British Timetable.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I second that thought!

I prefer the classic BR map that used to accompany the Great British Timetable.

There used to be a pdf version of the more aesthetically pleasing BR inspired map on the National Rail Enquiries website, however ATOC in their wisdom appear to have removed it.

berneyarms

Established Member
Thanks for that ! I must admit, it's not immediately obvious where it is from the map page on the website.

It has been taken off the map index page, as it's out of date at this stage (it hasn't been updated since the 2013-14 timetable).

But it's still there in spirit!

Shinkansenfan

It has been taken off the map index page, as it's out of date at this stage (it hasn't been updated since the 2013-14 timetable).

But it's still there in spirit!

Thanks for posting (I did recognize that map in Post #8). It's a pity it hasn't been updated.

Let's see if I can list some of the updates that would be needed to that map:

- Line to Tweedbank
- Extension to the Ebbw Vale branch
- North Cambridge station
- Some new stations near Exeter
- First bit of the East-West rail
- Opening of the north-south line in Dublin
- Opening of Dublin Dockyard Station.

berneyarms

Established Member
Thanks for posting (I did recognize that map in Post #8). It's a pity it hasn't been updated.

Let's see if I can list some of the updates that would be needed to that map:
- Opening of the north-south line in Dublin
- Opening of Dublin Dockyard Station.

No worries

It doesn't go into the level of segregating lines in Dublin so they're kinda moot points.

I'm assuming you're referring to the re-opening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel to scheduled passenger services.

And the station name is Docklands Station! ;)

GWR did a network map which featured a National Rail map on the reverse a while ago. I have it at home but can't remember how big it is and whether it was updated for the above.

Shinkansenfan

No worries

It doesn't go into the level of segregating lines in Dublin so they're kinda moot points.

I'm assuming you're referring to the re-opening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel to scheduled passenger services.

And the station name is Docklands Station! ;)

Yes, Phoenix Park Tunnel--that's the one I'm referring to. Thanks for correcting me on the name of Docklands Station (not sure why I thought it was Dockyards Station). The Luas LRT makes it easier to access that station.

TheNewNo2

Looking at that NR map, I just think that looks awful. It gives no detail about what journeys might be possible, and if you want to go anywhere near London, Cardiff, Birmingham or the North you're pretty much out of luck. Project Mapping any day.

Plus Project Mapping actually gets updated and makes changes when errors are noticed...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Looking at that NR map, I just think that looks awful. It gives no detail about what journeys might be possible, and if you want to go anywhere near London, Cardiff, Birmingham or the North you're pretty much out of luck. Project Mapping any day.

Plus Project Mapping actually gets updated and makes changes when errors are noticed...

To be fair, the original versions came with diagrams of the more complicated parts of the country. Plus there's no reason why they can'tupdate the traditional map (they must have done so before 2013.

I like the fact that it is more to scale reflects the shape of the country.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member

Right. I think we can fix that.

I've fired up Illustrator and added the (UK) changes you mentioned. All completely unofficial, of course, and NR and the very talented cartographers at Pindar bear no responsibility for my hacking it about. Still, here's the result:

http://www.systemed.net/carto/network_rail_national_map.pdf

Let me know of any I've missed.

(For a downloadable map I do prefer the New Adlestrop Railway Atlas, but I may be biased. ;) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.