• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK rolling stock in 2044

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I think the class 37s will only be withdrawn If a suitable replacement can be found given their lower ra rating.
Air pollution may do for the Class 37s before too long, building a suitable replacement is entirely feasible given modern equipment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
The planned new DMU/Bimode/battery/whatever fleets for GWR and Northern will surely directly or indirectly account for all the Sprinters other than the 158s/159s, and will probably displace newer DMUs that will see off the 158s/159s anyway. Indeed I can see SWR replacing the 159s with something similar as a follow on order.

I imagine the 390s might be replaced by then, but that will be impacted depending on how much of HS2 actually gets built...

McRhu

After the events of 2025/26 motive power will be the Black 5s, 9Fs and so on from the Strategic Reserve....

quailking14

I imagine the 390s might be replaced by then, but that will be impacted depending on how much of HS2 actually gets built...

If we see a policy reversal from the soon-to-be Labour government involving building HS2 in full, the 390s will probably be retired by at least 2035, probably replaced by more 805s/807s or another AT300 design. If HS2 is built in current plans, 390s will probably remain in service for longer, into the 2040s. nevertheless, I once thought that the retired 390s could be converted into mail cargo trains.

Air pollution may do for the Class 37s before too long, building a suitable replacement is entirely feasible given modern equipment.

Designing a cleaner engine for the 37s or rebuilding them with improved exhaust filters might be a viable option.

dorsetdesiro

Considering how elderly and such workhorses the 483s were on the Island Line before withdrawal, then I reckon the 484s will still be running come 2044 possibly outlasting the other 230s as only D78s/Vivarail units in service.

If the extensions to Ventnor & Newport go ahead - very unlikely - the 484s will just continue in service, cannot see prospect of new rolling stock for the Island Line. The 484s could get lengthened to 3 cars by utilising the middle coaches of ex-230s.

D365

Veteran Member
The 484s could get lengthened to 3 cars by utilising the middle coaches of ex-230s.
Unlikely, due to the size/layout of Ryde depot. But yes I’ll agree that the 484s will be the last ”D Trains” standing.

popeter45

if the sleeper trains are still going they will both be on new rolling stock i suspect, likely BMU's rather than loco haulled
E300's will be gone with E320's not that far behind with somthing newer replacing both, possibly same model as HS2 trains
steam railtours fall out of fashion so wont see much old coaching stock running

quailking14

E300's will be gone with E320's not that far behind with somthing newer replacing both, possibly same model as HS2 trains

E300s will indeed be gone, but I think some elderly e320s will be going strong, given the e300 entered service in 1994 (30 years ago). If the same applies to the e320, they will be in service until at least 2045!
An AT400 replacement for e300/e320s is an idea, but it would be more exotic to see the TGV M or another future double decker TGV being used as a replacement.

With HS2, the planned AT400 trains will indeed be in service in 2044, and I think there will be a second generation of hs2 trains I'm service, which could be either single or double decker. I would also want to see the scrapped HS1-HS2 link be reinstated.

On the subject of 484s, a good thought experiment would be imagining which other rolling stock could be upgraded/rebuilt/converted by 2044, like how the class 56 was rebuilt into the class 69?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Because they're not exactly long distance trains but more regional commuter trains.
But DfT will not care what they look like. They will only look at number of seats, and ££££££ to buy (or rent) & operate.

D365

Veteran Member
With HS2, the planned AT400 trains will indeed be in service in 2044, and I think there will be a second generation of hs2 trains I'm service, which could be either single or double decker. I would also want to see the scrapped HS1-HS2 link be reinstated.
AFAIK, these are not “AT400s”.

Thirteen

I would imagine that the 484s would last 30 years just like the 483s but also they'll likely get refurbished in the 2040s.

I would expect in terms of the LU, the entire tube network will likely no longer have any tube stock from the 20th Century

birchesgreen

Established Member
I would imagine that the 484s would last 30 years just like the 483s but also they'll likely get refurbished in the 2040s.

I would expect in terms of the LU, the entire tube network will likely no longer have any tube stock from the 20th Century
No the 1972 Stock will still be rumbling away on the Bakerloo. :lol: