• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK speed record for diesel trains broken in 1993 by russian locomotive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Back in the late 70s early 80s Western Region HST drivers were reputed to have had (obviously unofficially) a 140 club did they not? Were these sources ex members? Also as a slight aside, it was suggested that the prototype Deltic must have exceeded 130mph decending either Shap or Beattock when it severely damaged its traction motors on a test run in the early sixties, would be very interested to learn more of the HSTs high speed exploits though!

I strongly suspect those who achieved the speeds were ex-members, but that "club" is not my primary source. My main source is someone who was lucky enough to get sight of logs which drivers put together from timing each other, and also checked it verbally. I have it on good authority that these were detailed and plausible enough not to have been works of fiction, and that the official 148ish mph record is surprisingly lower than the speeds noted. It was on the Paddington-Reading-Swindon route.

This has also not been denied by another source who would have known at least some of the drivers involved in such exploits, and would have discussed the matter with my primary source. What I do know is that the drivers were exceedingly careful not to do this often, always on the smoothest sections of track with either the best or otherwise manageable gradients, and with the bare minimum of other people (passengers or otherwise) onboard.

Unfortunately, this is pushing the boundaries of what I can reasonably be permitted to say.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I strongly suspect those who achieved the speeds were ex-members, but that "club" is not my primary source. My main source is someone who was lucky enough to get sight of logs which drivers put together from timing each other, and also checked it verbally. I have it on good authority that these were detailed and plausible enough not to have been works of fiction, and that the official 148ish mph record is surprisingly lower than the speeds noted. It was on the Paddington-Reading-Swindon route.

This has also not been denied by another source who would have known at least some of the drivers involved in such exploits, and would have discussed the matter with my primary source. What I do know is that the drivers were exceedingly careful not to do this often, always on the smoothest sections of track with either the best or otherwise manageable gradients, and with the bare minimum of other people (passengers or otherwise) onboard.

Unfortunately, this is pushing the boundaries of what I can reasonably be permitted to say.

Fascinating stuff! I'd be pretty sure these drivers would have had many years of experience behind them, and had the skill and judgement to know precisely how to get the maximum performance from their steeds without putting safety at serious risk, thanks!

Wardog

Fascinating stuff! I'd be pretty sure these drivers would have had many years of experience behind them, and had the skill and judgement to know precisely how to get the maximum performance from their steeds without putting safety at serious risk, thanks!
Let alone getting a pink slip through the mailbox if getting caught by their superiors...;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's due to signalling rather than track wear, ride quality or fuel consumption (though obviously that does play a role). It has been decided that drivers cannot safely sight signals at speeds in excess of 125mph so to go faster requires in-cab signalling. Obviously for one off special trips that requirement can be relaxed but to do it in service would require in-cab signalling.

They experimented with a fifth signal aspect on the southern East Coast Mainline by having a flashing green light being a fifth aspect but this trial was unsuccessful (in anything other than perfectly clear weather the drivers struggled to determine if it as a flashing green or steady green).

Until we get in-cab signalling we will not be seeing 140mph outside of HS1.

Pathing is the the other huge issue with 140mph running. Trying to fit in 140mph expresses, 100mph commuter/regional services, 75mph locals and freight at all sorts of different speeds is a nightmare.
I belive that freight trains should be forbidden by law on high speed passenger routes, on account of reducing the speed limit and capacity both. Its just my own opinion of course, but they are just as annoying for the passengers, as lorrys on a motorway is for passenger cars. ;)

It was the frenchies who invented in cap signalling during the TGV development in the 70s, if Im not mistaken. Must be a much cheaper system than conventional signalling?

Aside from diesel trains, the gas operated TGV 001 holds the speed record for non electrified conventional rail vehicles. Quite a fascinating train: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGV_001

Last edited:

Carlisle

Established Member
Indeed, it wasn't as fast, and it arguably wasn't a train as it was just a single vehicle. It didn't even make it into production.

Yes it did as a red model with a yellow propeller , I seem to remember they were quite a few on people's layouts of the 1970s but not sure who made it :D

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I belive that freight trains should be forbidden by law on high speed passenger routes, on account of reducing the speed limit and capacity both. Its just my own opinion of course, but they are just as annoying for the passengers, as lorrys on a motorway is for passenger cars.
We need further Laws to restrict which railways are available for freight? Really?

So we'll put all the coal from ports to power stations onto the roads, just to make sure we don't 'annoy the passengers' ?

I would like to see more freight being carried by rail in the future, and that requires more skill in allocating capacity across demand.

D1009

Established Member
One other person travelling with me is also a forum member, though I don't know if he would remember the run. We were part the way into the journey when we noticed the ride quality was somewhat more lively than normal, so I started timing the mileposts - not easy as it was dusk at the time; no GPS in those days! We were doing a fairly consistent 140 for virtually the whole distance until slowing for the approach to Reading as mentioned above.

It was most enjoyable.:D
I remember a run in the up direction in a similar style around that time, I timed trains as a hobby then using a stopwatch on the mileposts, and from my recollection the acceleration tailed off quite significantly once you got past 130, which would have been around Maidenhead. The maximum I recorded was 143 near West Drayton, and at the time that was the fastest I'd travelled by rail anywhere. The speed was authenticated by the passing times I recorded at Langley and Iver. I remember feeling lateral forces in places I'd never felt them before! Unfortunately not far beyond there was a pretty hard brake application as adverse signals were sighted!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We need further Laws to restrict which railways are available for freight? Really?

So we'll put all the coal from ports to power stations onto the roads, just to make sure we don't 'annoy the passengers' ?

I would like to see more freight being carried by rail in the future, and that requires more skill in allocating capacity across demand.

Had we not torn up so many secondary routes, we'd have ample space for freight without inconveniencing express passengers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes it did as a red model with a yellow propeller , I seem to remember they were quite a few on people's layouts of the 1970s but not sure who made it :D

Hornby did, in their Tri-Ang years I believe. A more recent model also exists in what is probably a more accurate colour scheme and one can be seen at the Fort Victoria model railway near Yarmouth in West Wight.

Last edited:

Bill EWS

Thanks for that info, Ash Bridge. I have done a Google search for this a number of times over the years and just before I posted the photo but never found anything about this test run.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks for that info, Ash Bridge. I have done a Google search for this a number of times over the years and just before I posted the photo but never found anything about this test run.

Just to add to that Bill, I do seem to recall that "The Railway Magazine" included a log of that test run in its "Locomotive Practice & Performance" feature,(can't remember what issue) I may still have a copy of it somewhere, if I can locate it I will post some details. Another possibility is the Railway Perfomance Society website, although I think there is a charge for membership.

Wardog

I wonder if the DMU Super Voyagers are faster than HSTs?

Have they tried out its top speed at some point?

Status
Not open for further replies.