• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK to Sorrento, Italy by train

coxxy

I'm looking at the possibility of taking the train from the UK down to Sorrento in September, spending a week there and taking the train back.

Will be probably spending a few stop offs in a few places, but don't know the plans yet..

I'm non safeguarded rail staff with EFIP but have no idea where to start with looking at trains/booking or what discounts etc we get.

Would appreciate any help if anyone can

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Man in seat 61 is very useful for working out what's possible, but it's a bit of a Wikipedia website. I get stuck in it for hours even if I just Google a simple thing.

peterblue

To enable us to give better suggestions for your trip, have you been to Italy before, if so, what places?

coxxy

To enable us to give better suggestions for your trip, have you been to Italy before, if so, what places?
Main things I want to see this time are:

Milan/monza/ferrari museum
Rome
Naples/pompeii
Sorrento/capri
Amalfi

Although reading up I've now seen coupons etc aren't valid around the naples regional area..

tripleseis

Museo H Zero in Florence - excellent little model railway museum in the heart of the city. Think a smaller version of Hamburg's Minatur Wunderland.

Actually, Florence in generally is a beautiful place to stop off and visit for a day or two.

peterblue

Main things I want to see this time are:

Milan/monza/ferrari museum
Rome
Naples/pompeii
Sorrento/capri
Amalfi

Although reading up I've now seen coupons etc aren't valid around the naples regional area..

For a week, I think those places will have you covered!

Depending on time, you could extend north to Florence (beautiful city), or extend south towards Sicily via the train ferry which is a very unique experience.

D6130

Established Member
Museo H Zero in Florence - excellent little model railway museum in the heart of the city. Think a smaller version of Hamburg's Minatur Wunderland.
Actually, Florence in generally is a beautiful place to stop off and visit for a day or two.
Fully agree with both of the above. You can see some videos of the H Zero model railway on my YouTube channel, mentioned below.
Ah ok, we are limited in dates so were planning to travel from Paris to Rome by sleeper if possible.
There are currently no overnight sleeper services between France and Italy....although a private company has long-term ambitions to restart one. In fact there are currently no through services of any description between France and Italy - apart from SNCF PACA local regional services between Nice and Ventimiglia - because of a major landslide which blocked the direct line near Modane at the end of last August. Latest estimate for reopening is the end of this August, but that is by no means certain. Should it still be closed in September, you have three main options:

(1). TGV Paris -Nice; TER Nice-Ventimiglia and Trenitalia Inter-City Ventimiglia-Genova-Milano.

(2). TGV Paris-Geneve; SBB/Trenitalia Euro-City Geneve-Milano.

(3). TGV Paris-Basel: SBB/Trenitalia Euro-City Basel-Milano.
FIP coupons are officially valid only on Trenitalia Regionale and Regionale Veloce services. They ARE valid on such services in the Napoli area....but not on local suburban services run by the so-called 'private' railways in the area including the narrow gauge line to Sorrento. However fares on these routes are incredibly cheap. You can't use FIP coupons for advance on-line bookings on Trenitalia Frecciarossa and Inter-City services....but we have found that you can use them if seats are available by turning up at the departure station booking office ('biglietteria') on the day of travel and paying a supplement/seat reservation fee (usually between 3 Euro and 11 Euro per person for IC and between 11 Euro and 41 Euro on Frecciarossa....depending on the time of day and distance travelled). It's worth remembering that some lesser-used long-distance services attract incredibly cheap on-line fares. For instance about five years ago a colleague and I travelled the 473 kilometres from Taranto to Reggio Calabria (class D455 diesel-hauled) for an amazing 9 Euro each....which saved a coupon box for other more expensive journeys.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Should it still be closed in September, you have three main options:

(1). TGV Paris -Nice; TER Nice-Ventimiglia and Trenitalia Inter-City Ventimiglia-Genova-Milano.
(2). TGV Paris-Geneve; SBB/Trenitalia Euro-City Geneve-Milano.
(3). TGV Paris-Basel: SBB/Trenitalia Euro-City Basel-Milano.
There are also TGV options via Paris-Dijon-Lausanne (connecting with the Geneve-Milano ECs).
And the Basel services (connecting to ECs via the Simplon route) mostly go on to Zurich connecting with another set of Milano ECs (via the Gotthard route).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Also worth noting that if there are journeys where you will be using Trenitalia regional services, they have a good offer with the 'Italia In Tour' rover ticket. This costs €29 for 3 days or €49 for 5 days and is valid for unlimited travel without time restrictions on (almost) all Trenitalia regional trains across the country.

Unfortunately it excludes the long-distance (IC / FR / FA / sleeper etc.) trains as well as the 'private' railways (i.e. Trenord and various narrow-gauge operators - mostly in the south). Nor is there a group or FIP discount.

thejuggler

The bus trip from Sorrento around the Amalfi Coast is spectacular. Great driving skills too, just don't sit at the front if you are a nervous passenger. Bus station is next to train station.

Pompeii is easy to DIY, but its huge and needs a full day to be appreciated. Vesuvius also worth a trip. Just avoid the touts when you alight the train trying to get you on expensive trips. A local bus will get you to the main car park, its then a gentle walk to the top. Well worth it.

Ploughman

Established Member
If you do Pompeii then also consider Herculaneum.

On the Amalfi coast it used to be Coach Tours were only allowed One Way travel North to South Whereas local buses could do Two way.
From Sorrento the Coastal views are on the right.

coxxy

I've done pompeii, amalfi and herculaneum before, but are all on the list again - particularly amalfi and vesuvius..

Absolutely stunning places,

JB_B

Established Member
I've done pompeii, amalfi and herculaneum before, but are all on the list again - particularly amalfi and vesuvius..

Absolutely stunning places,

I would definitely recommend Paestum. ( Very easy to get to by rail from e.g. Naples or Salerno - would take longer if you're starting from Sorrento.)

Last edited:

SeanG

I would recommend doing Pompeii before you do Herculaneum. Otherwise you may be a bit disappointed by Pompeii.
Another tip is not to fall into the 'premium' train trap on the Circumvesuviana. The local trains cost about half the price and take about the same amount of time.

We did do the city sightseeing open top bus around Sorrento and whilst touristy it was an enjoyable hour or two.

My favourite tip around that part of the world is to get the train to Castellmmare di Stabia and get the cable car up Monte Faito and walk along the ridge (very easy, flat and wide paths) to the monastery. Its very peaceful and away from the crowds, and also is a bit cooler if you are feeling the heat. Excellent views also over the bay of Naples and then from the monastery over the hills to the south and east.

topydre

I was really disappointed when the landslide happened, but I discovered the wonderful route via Ventimiglia instead. Between Marseilles and Nice there are great views of the Cote d'Azur and then from Nice to Ventimiglia you're between the sea and the Alps. Amazing.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was really disappointed when the landslide happened, but I discovered the wonderful route via Ventimiglia instead. Between Marseilles and Nice there are great views of the Cote d'Azur and then from Nice to Ventimiglia you're between the sea and the Alps. Amazing.
The section with coastal views is really between St Raphael and Bordighera east of Ventimiglia, with some gaps through the larger towns.
In Italy the original (single track) line hugged the Ligurian coast, often close to the waves, but FS have a long-term project to move the line inland, mostly in tunnel, removing the coastal views.
I travelled the line in 2013, and the long section through Sanremo was already in tunnel, and I gather another long section further east has since moved inland, leaving just the 32km Andora-Finale Ligure section along the coast.
This last section is also due to be moved, but is still at the planning stage so will be at least a decade before the coastal views vanish.
Separately, but for the same reasons, the line through Monaco was also moved inland and in tunnel in 1999.
It must have been a spectacular run before all the relocations, but the new Italian sections are at least now double track, and the coastal towns can redevelop the old route for yet more tourism.

peterblue

The section with coastal views is really between St Raphael and Bordighera east of Ventimiglia, with some gaps through the larger towns.
In Italy the original (single track) line hugged the Ligurian coast, often close to the waves, but FS have a long-term project to move the line inland, mostly in tunnel, removing the coastal views.
I travelled the line in 2013, and the long section through Sanremo was already in tunnel, and I gather another long section further east has since moved inland, leaving just the 32km Andora-Finale Ligure section along the coast.
This last section is also due to be moved, but is still at the planning stage so will be at least a decade before the coastal views vanish.
Separately, but for the same reasons, the line through Monaco was also moved inland and in tunnel in 1999.
It must have been a spectacular run before all the relocations, but the new Italian sections are at least now double track, and the coastal towns can redevelop the old route for yet more tourism.

There are still decent views IMO from Ventimiglia south through Genova and Pisa etc, but there are a few tunnels.

Not quick though, so I understand the ambition to make the route faster.

ac6000cw

Established Member
The bus trip from Sorrento around the Amalfi Coast is spectacular. Great driving skills too, just don't sit at the front if you are a nervous passenger.
I agree (we stayed in Positano for a few days and used the bus quite a lot).

Capri is also worth visiting.