• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ULEZ - Plans (and would you have to pay?)

would you have to pay in you lived in a ULEZ due to the car(s) you own?

• Yes

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Yes, but am looking to change cars in the next 6 months

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • No

Votes: 188 85.8%

• Total voters
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
I have always loathed the idea of diesel engines in cars, and my last car with a 5L petrol engine meets the ULEZ standards. However I am fortunate and I wasn’t influenced by Gordon Brown’s spin. Many people did what they thought to be the right thing at the time and now find themselves liable for the charge.

The Ham

Established Member
Well my 19 year old Fiesta is exempt but there is no way I am driving anywhere near London.

The question isn't asking about London, rather if you lived in a ULEZ (of which there are others, like Birmingham and Portsmouth).

Mabs

My car is old but compliant. I'm still against the ULEZ charge. Soon they'll change the rules. Kick Khan and his policies out.

Buzby

Glasgow joined the party at the beginning of this month. Unlike London, we cannot purchase a day pass - the 2 options are Stay Away / Be Fined.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I have no idea. My cars used to be registered in the UK but now they’re not, so apparently I need to send my logbook and VIN to TfL’s private contractor and they aim to get back to me within two weeks to tell me if I need to pay.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It seems to be putting the price up of second hand cars that would not be charged under the current ULEZ scheme(s). For London I can see the goalposts being moved so I might stick with my very reliable 1993 Vauxhall Carlton. We expect to see road pricing come along as well because those cameras need to be paid for. The cameras around me have already been installed - and apparently vandalised. I am fairly annoyed about ULEZ because the council allow out of town shops to pop up while the town centre shopping is going badly into decline. No incentive to use the public transport into Croydon town centre but instead a punishement for having to use the out of town stores, a number of which have no presence in the town centre. I won't be surprised if outer London ULEZ does not go ahead or gets cancelled by a future Mayor/council.

Don't get me wrong I try to avoid using my car. I walk more than most and use the bus. BUT to get to the out of town shopping really requires a car for most. I have been trying to buck the car culture trend but it is getting harder not easier due to the decline of our town centre and rise of out of town shopping. Really should have been controlled decades ago.

So I am not sure if/when I will replace the car. I might just pay and hope things change. I will certainly do as much driving as I can in one day or not drive at all on that day. I ended up driving to work - glad I retired early.

Last edited:

Mabs

Time to act now and let the Government know that ULEZ isn't wanted.

Let's not get to the road charging per mile.

My council is the best and I'm glad they are against the ULEZ. I Fully support them.

I will stop using my car when they stop using their Private Jets to travel around with their Oligarchs friends.

Last edited:

Parjon

I honestly couldn't tell you whether I have to pay.

I drove into Birmingham recently. All the signs clearly and unambiguously say "charges apply, pay online".

I go online onto their website, and there's no info.

I follow the link to the government website, put in my reg and that says I don't have to pay.

It would be fun if the British government and its equally untalented council prefects could come up with ways of "improving" things or incentivising actions which doesn't involve making any alternative more costly or stress inducing.

I'd call them one trick ponies. But at least the pony has a trick.

Noddy

Time to act now and let the Government know that ULEZ isn't wanted.

Let's not get to the road charging per mile.

My council is the best and I'm glad they are against the ULEZ. I Fully support them.

I will stop using my car when they stop using their Private Jets to travel around with their Oligarchs friends.

For heaven’s sake for the umpteenth time LEZ/ULEZ are about air quality, not CO2.

I and the quiet majority fully support them. You are in a very small (vocal) minority.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
For heaven’s sake for the umpteenth time LEZ/ULEZ are about air quality, not CO2.

I and the quiet majority fully support them. You are in a very small (vocal) minority.

The quiet majority want these sorts of things to stop *others* doing things, whilst continuing themselves. We saw that attitude in spades during Covid with the “we went for a day out at the beach and were shocked to find it was packed” brigade.

Same with stuff like speed humps. People like having measures in their own roads to stop others driving fast, but how do such people drive when they’re out and about?

Noddy

The quiet majority want these sorts of things to stop *others* doing things, whilst continuing themselves. We saw that attitude in spades during Covid with the “we went for a day out at the beach and were shocked to find it was packed” brigade.

No the quiet majority want these things because they recognise that air pollution comes at a terrible cost.

Dai Corner

Established Member
No the quiet majority want these thing because they recognise that air pollution is comes at a terrible cost.
They really don't.

Just look at all those people driving around instead of walking, cycling, or catching a bus or train.

bramling

Veteran Member
No the quiet majority want these things because they recognise that air pollution comes at a terrible cost.

If people really cared about pollution then they simply wouldn’t use cars in the way they do. They may profess to care, until doing so affects their standard of living, or involves extra effort.

Noddy

They really don't.

Just look at all those people driving around instead of walking, cycling, or catching a bus or train.
If people really cared about pollution then they simply wouldn’t use cars in the way they do. They may profess to care, until doing so affects their standard of living, or involves extra effort.

Ok perhaps I’m in a minority of one then. But that only justifies Mabs argument.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has anyone asked what people who actually live in the areas that ULEZ operates in what they think of it now it's in place?

Mabs

It's all BULL.

If it was about Air quality. They would have banned Petrol/Diesel cars altogether. Its all about money.

You think you can drive in Slough and all around London and the wind won't blow the air into London.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If it was about Air quality. They would have banned cars altogether. Its all about money.
But that would be mad? Yes if you banned petrol and diesel cars entirely that would do wonders for air quality but it would also have enormous negative consequences. You've got try and strike a balance. An obvious tipping point is to say that vehicles which don't meet certain criteria have to pay an extra charge to discourage usage of those specific vehicles and encourage people to upgrade to more modern (and not even necessarily that modern, petrol cars from 2005 onwards are compliant) vehicles which have a lower impact on air quality.

stuu

Established Member
It's all BULL.

If it was about Air quality. They would have banned Petrol/Diesel cars altogether. Its all about money.

You think you can drive in Slough and all around London and the wind won't blow the air into London.
If it was about money the rules would be much stricter, wouldn't they?

Mabs

If it was about money the rules would be much stricter, wouldn't they?
As mad as it sounds. I would support a full ban and a proper scrappage scheme. Not you can still drive it if you pay £12.50

stuu

Established Member
That would need the government to put some money in, which they have done in other cities but not London. Because politics is more important than air quality

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As mad as it sounds. I would support a full ban and a proper scrappage scheme. Not you can still drive it if you pay £12.50
Scrappage for the worst-polluting vehicles I'd support (and for Chelsea Tractors that never touch mud, but that's a different bugbear)... but the cleanest car you can buy is one that already exists. Scrappage schemes like the ones we had post-2008 were not really about reducing environmental harm, they were about artificially stimulating the economy.