• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable to get Reprint of Season Ticket Purchased through Trainline

sillyman55

So I had an interesting conversation today with SWR, my season ticket (physical) stopped working I went to the SWR office at Waterloo and asked for a new one. He couldn’t find my season ticket on the system so he questioned how I purchased it, I advised I bought it through trainline and collected it at my station.
To which he said ah that’s why I can’t see it due to GDPR he was unable to see it as trainline are not allowed to share that with them.

So my question is how does that work? How can SWR access our purchase history if GDPR does not allow it as its sharing of personal information?

I’m sure there’s a reason but I cant think of one so happy to be enlightened. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
So my question is how does that work? How can SWR access our purchase history if GDPR does not allow it as its sharing of personal information?
Your season ticket record is personal information, therefore cannot be shared unless it is for the detection or prevention of crime. It is the latter clause that allows it to be shared with SWR after you have been reported by revenue protection.

island

Veteran Member
You have been correctly advised that replacement and duplicate season tickets are to be requested via the seller.

phoenix1589

When I had a season ticket purchased through the Trainline, the portal gave me a letter with the details, that a ticket office could then use to print a replacement ticket. (And some words saying please reprint this ticket for the customer)

Once I gave this you the ticket office, additional reprints were easily done without needing the letter each time, as the details were in my local station's TOC's system

PaulJ

Ah, the magic word 'Tr...line'. Says it all! Use Trainline for convenience and then expect the local TOC to clean up the mess.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When I had a season ticket purchased through the Trainline, the portal gave me a letter with the details, that a ticket office could then use to print a replacement ticket. (And some words saying please reprint this ticket for the customer)

Once I gave this you the ticket office, additional reprints were easily done without needing the letter each time, as the details were in my local station's TOC's system
This is my understanding. A family member had to have robust conversations with the ticket office at London Bridge a couple of years ago when they had a Trainline issued season ticket that needed re-printing beccause it had faded. They produced a Trainline letter explaining what to do and eventually (after initially refusing), the season ticket was re-issued.

Trainline say:

5.4 Damaged or faded Season Tickets​

We’re taking Season Tickets digital. Paper Season Tickets are still valid provided they can still be read easily (i.e. they’re not damaged or faded). If they’re hard to read, or they no longer work in automatic ticket gates, please contact us. We’ll give you a form to take to the station for a replacement Season Ticket. Most stations accept this form, but please check beforehand.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
You have been correctly advised that replacement and duplicate season tickets are to be requested via the seller.
Requests for Duplicate season tickets and refunds (including Season Ticket Left at Home refunds) need to be made via the original retailer. Encode exchanges and Replacements for faded tickets can be undertaken at any Ticket Office. Business Travel Offices generally provide a template letter with the details to aid in this. (Essential when doing a replacement where the original ticket has faded to the point of being unreadable.)

The only drawback is that it takes a bit longer where the original ticket was purchased through a third party, as the member of staff will need to add the ticket into their season ticket database manually. They should also advise the original retailer of the new details so they can update the customer's season ticket record, and make a local note of where the ticket was originally purchased should there be a subsequent request for a Refund or Duplicate.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Replacements for faded tickets can be undertaken at any Ticket Office.
Provided that the details of the original ticket are still readable. If they are not you'll be referred back to the retailer. Of course, having a season ticket on smartcard overcomes all of these problems as they don't fade.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Alternatively buy the ticket with the TOC you travel with, so the rail industry gets all the revenue rather than some be skimmed off to a private company.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Alternatively buy the ticket with the TOC you travel with, so the rail industry gets all the revenue rather than some be skimmed off to a private company.
We’re at risk of going off-topic, and this might not apply to the OP, but many people purchasing season tickets with season ticket loads from their employer are required to use Trainline.