• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unadvertised Through Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
We're familiar with services being artificially split mid-journey to comply with drivers' hours regulations. Destinations are typically shown as 'Town A for Town B', the number doesn't change and timetables often say 'connection guaranteed, no need to change buses'.

Recently I was on the Stagecoach South Wales X3 Abergavenny-Pontypool which continued to Cwmbran and Newport as a 23. The driver was relieved at Cwmbran. Conversation between other passengers confirmed that this is a booked working. We weren't required to re-scan our concessionary passes.

I'd be interested to learn of any similar workings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
We're familiar with services being artificially split mid-journey to comply with drivers' hours regulations. Destinations are typically shown as 'Town A for Town B', the number doesn't change and timetables often say 'connection guaranteed, no need to change buses'.

Recently I was on the Stagecoach South Wales X3 Abergavenny-Pontypool which continued to Cwmbran and Newport as a 23. The driver was relieved at Cwmbran. Conversation between other passengers confirmed that this is a booked working. We weren't required to re-scan our concessionary passes.

Strictly speaking, you should rescan passes as it's a different journey. Companies are losing so much money doing this.

kijeta

Geographically close to the X3 is Nick Maddy's through running of 34 -> 40 -> 34 services (Monmouth -> Ross -> Greytree -> Ross -> Monmouth). The driver barely rests in Ross on Wye at the change of route, and doesn't kick passengers off between them. A 34 Monmouth -> Ross ticket is also valid on the entirety of the 40 journey, but bizarrely, that doesn't work the other way round, so Greytree to Monmouth passengers (I admit, I don't know if they exist) will have to pay twice, while Monmouth to Greytree passengers only have to pay once.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
At Stagecoach Bluebird the Elgin Town Service 34 interworks with the hourly short working between Inverness and Elgin on the 10. Additionally the Peterhead Town Services 81 & 84A/84C and 82 & 83 interwork to allow driver changeovers on the 83 and 84A/84C near the depot.

Darklord8899

In Edinburgh, there is one service 34 journey that operates Heriot Watt to Semple Street then continues as a X33 to Newtongrange

WM Bus

9 & 436 Wolverhampton through to Shrewsbury. When I did this lots stayed on without having to scan/show there ticket/or pay again.
8 & 297 Kidderminster through to Telford.
7 & 82 Wolverhampton through to Wollaston Farm.

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation

A few morebus routes are through services as shown on PDF timetables, but the electronic data don't show them as such. These include 16/17 interworking at Bournemouth, or the peak-hour through journeys of X3/X6, which runs as X6 north of Ringwood and X3 south of it.

For the 16 / 17 case, the PDF timetable doesn't show the through times with just a note saying that they run through at Bournemouth, as all departures are scheduled to run as through working. For the X3 / X6, the complete through working is shown on the X6 PDF timetable because X3 serves all the locations with X6 service south of Ringwood.

I have never taken the through X3/X6 service through Ringwood. And on the through 16 / 17 services, I normally just sit on board while the bus runs through but at one occasion the driver told me to rescan my ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.