• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unidentified non-EMU working to Seaford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishopstone

Established Member
This afternoon, 14.40-ish, as I worked from home with windows open, a train ran from Newhaven to Seaford outside of the half-hourly EMU paths. I heard the horn in advance of Tide Mills crossing, and it certainly wasn’t a 313 or 377: if I had to guess, I’d have said it was a Thumper DEMU horn blast. As the mystery train ran through Bishopstone non-stop, I heard the sound of a diesel engine.

The train reversed within two minutes at Seaford, and returned with the same characteristic diesel noise and parping horn sound at the level crossing.

We don’t get any freight beyond Newhaven Harbour, and it’s the wrong season for sandite and de-icing workings.

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Some form of Network Rail infrastructure monitoring train. From the description of the sound, I would imagine hauled by class 73s, which have the traditional Southern Region horns, though I am not sure why they would be running on diesel.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Some form of Network Rail infrastructure monitoring train. From the description of the sound, I would imagine hauled by class 73s, which have the traditional Southern Region horns, though I am not sure why they would be running on diesel.

Thank you. Had I not been stuck on a call, I’d have dashed out to see the return working. Definitely thumping away on diesel!

Status
Not open for further replies.