• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unions

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatkingrat

Established Member
The Union get the same amount either way. If you opt-out, your contribution goes down by the amount of the political fund.

For Example
A pays £11 per month, £10 goes to the union, £1 goes to the political fund
B has opted out and pays £10 per month which all goes to the union.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
It should also be noted though that Unions must, by law, have a political fund if they wish to take part in political campaigns and lobby government. Examples of things such money has been spent on include campaigns for the rail freight industry and matters relating to pensions (this latter subject matter could become quite an important one in the not too distant future).

Llama

Established Member
Of the reasons to join a union, I wouldn’t regard that as one. That the union ‘might’ arrange a collection of a few thousand pounds doesn’t feel sufficient.

There is a market for this type of insurance - it’s called crtitical illness insurance. For someone starting out on their career (say aged 25), you could get £50k of cover for about a fiver a month; and that would guarantee to pay out.
Most depots have a welfare fund too.
The appeal process is not a reason to join, but I have had several colleagues who have benefited from the union appeals process (and the local welfare).

The average monthly branch meeting sees a few welfare appeals, I'm sure the beneficiaries who can't pay their mortgages are glad when the cheque arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.