• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unpaid fares slot at Chorleywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
Attached is a photo of what I will provisionally call an 'unpaid fares slot'. It can be found at one of the entrances to Chorleywood station. It's a metal post with a slot in it and there appears to be hooks for a receptacle of some kind. It obviously hasn't been used for quite a while.

What is it for? Is it a sort of honesty box for those without tickets to pay a fare?

Attachments

• IMAG0944.jpg
    IMAG0944.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 273
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
I would guess it was originally intended for used tickets and then somebody had the bright idea of labelling it as shown.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
When I worked for the organisation it would have been known as the D.I.'s tea fund!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I worked for the organisation it would have been known as the D.I.'s tea fund!

Some of the tales are fascinating from those days; like the day a new leading railman was told to F off after attempting to take off a senior man in the middle of the peak to give him a meal relief, and money and goods changing hands to swap onto "profitable" shifts :o

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Some of the tales are fascinating from those days; like the day a new leading railman was told to F off after attempting to take off a senior man in the middle of the peak to give him a meal relief, and money and goods changing hands to swap onto "profitable" shifts :o

Dear dear, all quite apocryphal of course:)

There was, however, a spot at Tottenham Court Road immediately underneath an 'up' escalator, this being in the days of the original miniskirts, where certain D.I.s used to have to spend an awfully long time in checking the escalator was working as it should! I can't remember whether TCR was controlled by Northern or Central Line, as I worked for both at different stages, but I do remember that whichever hadn't got it was always trying to get it under their control (funnily enough, I never recollect this rivalry at any other station)

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
I can't remember whether TCR was controlled by Northern or Central Line, as I worked for both at different stages, but I do remember that whichever hadn't got it was always trying to get it under their control (funnily enough, I never recollect this rivalry at any other station)

I believe BCV have tried to get Green Park away from JNP.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe BCV have tried to get Green Park away from JNP.
Green Park moved from the Piccadilly to the Victoria line as of last Sunday (April 3rd), amongst other changes which saw stations move lines.

gage75

Green Park moved from the Piccadilly to the Victoria line as of last Sunday (April 3rd), amongst other changes which saw stations move lines.

Just how does a station move lines???

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Just how does a station move lines???

Management purposes. Every station belongs to a 'line'. As part of the changes a number of interchange stations moved - Green Park from Picc to Vic, King's Cross from C+H to Met etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.