• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unrealistic connection time - Norwood Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncombe

Yesterday I made a journey with a connection at Norwood Junction. I didn't look at the itinerary in detail until I needed to change. Then I noticed that the schedule allowed just two minutes to change (from a north-bound Thameslink to a Southern service to Epsom). The Thameslink train was 2 minutes late so I missed it. However given the fact Thameslink and Southern trains are usually pretty long (8 or 10 carriages) and Norwood Junction has 6 platforms in use (well 5, really) and this interchange requires using the subway this seems an unrealistically short connection time.

I thought this must have been the National Rail app making a mistake but I checked and the station does indeed have a 2 minute minimum connection time so in theory it was a valid connection. However with train doors typically closing 30 seconds before departure in practice there is 90 seconds and I can't imagine this is going to be enough even with the trains running bang to time most of the time, it's quite a busy station.

I suppose it means I can claim Delay Repay but I imagine this must happen a lot and it seems strange to me to have such a short connection time in comparison with other station. I don't think 2 minutes could be achieved unless it's a connection onto the other face of the same platform (which it wasn't). How are these figures arrived at?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yesterday I made a journey with a connection at Norwood Junction. I didn't look at the itinerary in detail until I needed to change. Then I noticed that the schedule allowed just two minutes to change (from a north-bound Thameslink to a Southern service to Epsom). The Thameslink train was 2 minutes late so I missed it. However given the fact Thameslink and Southern trains are usually pretty long (8 or 10 carriages) and Norwood Junction has 6 platforms in use (well 5, really) and this interchange requires using the subway this seems an unrealistically short connection time.

I thought this must have been the National Rail app making a mistake but I checked and the station does indeed have a 2 minute minimum connection time so in theory it was a valid connection. However with train doors typically closing 30 seconds before departure in practice there is 90 seconds and I can't imagine this is going to be enough even with the trains running bang to time most of the time, it's quite a busy station.

I suppose it means I can claim Delay Repay but I imagine this must happen a lot and it seems strange to me to have such a short connection time in comparison with other station. I don't think 2 minutes could be achieved unless it's a connection onto the other face of the same platform (which it wasn't). How are these figures arrived at?
TOCs decide them.

LLivery

Established Member
Knowing Norwood Junction well I'd never leave it down to 2 minutes. Something is always a min or two late and the staircases are too narrow. That really should be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.