• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unused Capacity at Glasgow Queen St Low Level Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

clc

Established Member
I've read that Queen St Low Level has a capacity of 13tph. However, it only handles 8tph. How could this spare capacity best be utilised? Obviously a turn back west of Charing Cross would be required so let's assume that was built.

Increasing Airdrie - Bathgate from 4tph to 6tph is mentioned in the Route Study as a long term aspiration so presumably that would be the priority. What, if anything, could we do with the remaining 3tph?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
For context's sake, where did you read the capacity figure, please?

Given your comments about a turn back - to avoid the Patrick bottleneck - we are presumably restricted to suggesting locations to the East.

Altnabreac

Established Member
The Scotland Route Study suggests a 2043 service of 10tph:
6tph Airdrie - Bathgate.
2tph Springburn - Cumbernauld.
2tph Springburn - Maryhill.

Not sure there is much demand or necessity for service levels beyond that.

clc

Established Member
For context's sake, where did you read the capacity figure, please?

See Table 8 on page 12:

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Doc/47034/0026911.pdf
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Scotland Route Study suggests a 2043 service of 10tph:
6tph Airdrie - Bathgate.
2tph Springburn - Cumbernauld.
2tph Springburn - Maryhill.

Not sure there is much demand or necessity for service levels beyond that.

How about Renfrew-Charing Cross via the City Union Line?

clc

Established Member
Why do you need to fill it just because its there?

I dont. I'm trying to establish if there's likely to be a viable use for it in future. Obviously any proposals would have to stand up to an appraisal of economic/social benefits.

clc

Established Member
Are Glasgow's rail services busy enough to justify more trains?

Yes and they are expected to get busier. Network Rail's high growth scenario estimates the morning peak commuter market will increase by 128% between 2012-2043. Growth in cross border demand will also have to be accommodated along with potential new services such as Edinburgh-Glasgow HSR and GARL if it ever happens.

A new city centre terminal station might be needed in the long term, possibly in the St Enoch area, ironically.

LAX54

Established Member
If you fill every gap available, like for example going from 8tph to 13tph, then there goes any chance of recovering a service when it all goes wrong !

Carntyne

An easier step would be to introduce a 6 car railway on the Strathclyde routes before adding further capacity,

anti-pacer

Established Member
Yes and they are expected to get busier. Network Rail's high growth scenario estimates the morning peak commuter market will increase by 128% between 2012-2043. Growth in cross border demand will also have to be accommodated along with potential new services such as Edinburgh-Glasgow HSR and GARL if it ever happens.

A new city centre terminal station might be needed in the long term, possibly in the St Enoch area, ironically.

I'm surprised. I half expected commuter trains in Glasgow to be running around half empty in the peaks.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Full during the peaks. Why would you expect otherwise?

I didn't have Glasgow city centre down as a major employment hub in quite the same way as other provincial cities such as Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham.

I'm obviously wrong.

PaulLothian

Greater Glasgow has a population of 1.2 million...

A comment on anti-pacer's post, which I should have quoted!

Last edited:

Carntyne

Or why not just re-open the closed platforms at Queen Street low-level and turn-back there?

It's a fair point but it'd be a lot more work and expense I reckon. 8 & 9 would need to be pushed back again towards the platform walls.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Greater Glasgow has a population of 1.2 million...

A comment on anti-pacer's post, which I should have quoted!

I know it's got a reasonably high population but I didn't realise that the peak hour trains were so busy.

What are the busiest and quietest lines into the city? I can imagjne the North Clyde, Inverclyde, and Ayrshire lines being up there with the busiest.

clc

Established Member
I know it's got a reasonably high population but I didn't realise that the peak hour trains were so busy.

What are the busiest and quietest lines into the city? I can imagjne the North Clyde, Inverclyde, and Ayrshire lines being up there with the busiest.

That's right. The Argyle Line is also very busy along with East Kilbride, Neilston and Newton.

Maryhill is probably the quietest route.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or why not just re-open the closed platforms at Queen Street low-level and turn-back there?

It's a fair point but it'd be a lot more work and expense I reckon. 8 & 9 would need to be pushed back again towards the platform walls.

Also the extra services wouldn't serve Charing Cross which is a growing business centre.

Class 170101

Established Member
A turnback between Charing Cross and Finnieston East Jn would be required.

Is Glasgow not balanced for demand east and west then? Surely it would be better (and chesper) to provide an equal number of services from the east side of Glasgow as from the west rather than build new infrastructure in the centre of Glasgow which is bound to be expensive?

Altnabreac

Established Member
Wouldn't that depend on which direct the services were terminating from?

Is Glasgow not balanced for demand east and west then? Surely it would be better (and chesper) to provide an equal number of services from the east side of Glasgow as from the west rather than build new infrastructure in the centre of Glasgow which is bound to be expensive?

The 2 track section from Partick to Hyndland is the constraint. In the absence of 4 tracking this section (which would be very expensive) both Queen St Low Level and Central Low Level have to operate under maximum capacity to the east because of the 2 track section to the west.

So any extra services would be definition be to the east. Turn backs at Finnieston and Charing Cross are much cheaper options than 4 tracking.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Yes, obviously :roll:

Why is it obvious? I don't know the employment market of Glasgow. I just knew it had a lot of unemployment and Edinburgh is more the financial centre of Scotland. Maybe I've just not seen the business areas of the city centre.

You have local knowledge, I don't. I conceded I was wrong so why the patronising comment?

me123

Established Member
You don't need local knowledge to know that Glasgow is a major employment centre. To suggest that it isn't just shows ignorance.

To turn things around, I don't have any local knowledge about Yorkshire, but I do obviously know that Leeds is a major employment centre.

Back to topic, GLQ LL has capacity but really nowhere for the trains to go. The Finnieston turn back would help trains avoid Partick but also obviously reduces the benefits that going through to the West provides. I won't reiterate my Crossrail rant, but suffice to say it is a deeply flawed proposal that shouldn't see the light of day. The proposed 10tph max outlined above should be sufficient for the long term. You even have capacity to run 8 trains an hour to or from Airdrie if demand necessitates in the future (admittedly with the turn back in Kelvinhaugh). And, as has been said, scope to run six car trains allows for more growth.I think extending to eight carriages is also a possibility (perhaps with SDO at Charing Cross).

The line is basically future proofed. There are no obvious routes that warrant diverting to Queen Street and most if the capacity that is there can be accounted for.

anti-pacer

Established Member
You don't need local knowledge to know that Glasgow is a major employment centre. To suggest that it isn't just shows ignorance.

To turn things around, I don't have any local knowledge about Yorkshire, but I do obviously know that Leeds is a major employment centre.

I didn't suggest Glasgow as a CITY wasn't a major employment area, I have just never seen a business area in the city centre. I've seen plenty of shops but not a financial area like Leeds has. Maybe it has one but I've just not been there.

Bellshill I know has a massive industrial estate and business park and a lot of big names are located there, so I know it has areas of major employment.

Are rush hour trains in Glasgow full and standing into the city centre? I ask because given how comprehensive the suburban network is up there, compared to the population, it seems you're rarely far from a station in Glasgow. No other city outside London has a more comprehensive network. Look at Tyne & Wear, it has a similar population but not even half the network Glasgow has, even with the Metro.

Just out interest, where are the office areas of Glasgow city centre?

Class 170101

Established Member
The 2 track section from Partick to Hyndland is the constraint. In the absence of 4 tracking this section (which would be very expensive) both Queen St Low Level and Central Low Level have to operate under maximum capacity to the east because of the 2 track section to the west.

So any extra services would be definition be to the east. Turn backs at Finnieston and Charing Cross are much cheaper options than 4 tracking.

Whats the headway for the section and the junction margins at either end?

Established Member
Just out interest, where are the office areas of Glasgow city centre?

Turn left out of the main door of Central station, right up Hope Street and then left into Bothwell Street, and everything ahead of you as far as the M8, and two or three blocks either side is the main office area.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Turn left out of the main door of Central station, right up Hope Street and then left into Bothwell Street, and everything ahead of you as far as the M8, and two or three blocks either side is the main office area.

Ah OK. I've never been up that end of the city centre. I will take a look next time I'm up, and the riverside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.