• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual CrossCountry routeing... via Tinsley!

YorksLad12

Established Member
(Please move if in the wrong forum. Ta.)

Meant to post this over the weekend, but: last Friday there was a broken-down train at Meadowhall. The 1718 Northern semi-fast was cancelled at Sheffield, and the 1721 northbound XC service was to be rerouted, adding 15 minutes to our journey time. I thought that meant we'd be taking the 1718's path up through Barnsley, reverse at Kirkgate to Westgate and onwards.

But no! When I looked up I realised we'd passed Nunnery Square and were turning left onto what I always thought was the goods line that was partly taken over by Supertram, 30 years previously. When we reached Tinsley we headed east past Magna (and a tram train unit waiting to take the single line on its way south). Through Rotherham Central to Aldwarke, then as normal to Wakefield and Leeds. Really wish I'd sat on the left-hand side of the train, the view would have been much more interesting!

My question is: I thought that route was freight only, not cleared for passenger traffic - let alone a 4+5 Voyager set. It's a single track west/south of Magna. And finding a driver or route conductor. How rare was this routeing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NEDdrv

(Please move if in the wrong forum. Ta.)

Meant to post this over the weekend, but: last Friday there was a broken-down train at Meadowhall. The 1718 Northern semi-fast was cancelled at Sheffield, and the 1721 northbound XC service was to be rerouted, adding 15 minutes to our journey time. I thought that meant we'd be taking the 1718's path up through Barnsley, reverse at Kirkgate to Westgate and onwards.

But no! When I looked up I realised we'd passed Nunnery Square and were turning left onto what I always thought was the goods line that was partly taken over by Supertram, 30 years previously. When we reached Tinsley we headed east past Magna (and a tram train unit waiting to take the single line on its way south). Through Rotherham Central to Aldwarke, then as normal to Wakefield and Leeds. Really wish I'd sat on the left-hand side of the train, the view would have been much more interesting!

My question is: I thought that route was freight only, not cleared for passenger traffic - let alone a 4+5 Voyager set. It's a single track west/south of Magna. And finding a driver or route conductor. How rare was this routeing?
The route is sometimes used during engineering work, think only Leeds drivers sign that way.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I’ve been that way with CrossCountry on a pre-planned engineering works diversion and an ‘in service’ route retention service late one evening.

Pit_buzzer

Have a look at at real time trains for woodburn Jn. Right now it's showing 2 cross country services and a trans pennine this evening. They're not as rare as you may think, just hidden at the end of the day.

fishwomp

PSUL is your friend: https://www.branchline.uk/PSULintro.php - it is the Passenger Services over Unusual Lines list.

Quoting from that:
Woodburn Junction - Tinsley North Junction [ - Rotherham Central Junction]
(021) YE07 Mondays to Fridays:
1B96 2118 Liverpool Lime Street - Doncaster
1E73 1727 Plymouth – Leeds
1B52 2331 Manchester Airport – Sheffield (except Friday nights 16 Feb to 8 March 2024):

Tuesday to Sunday mornings (except Saturday mornings 17 Feb to 9 March 2024):

1B59 0319/0320 Sheffield – Manchester Airport

[note: section between Tinsley North Junction and Rotherham Central Junction is also used by Sheffield Supertram tram trains]

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thanks all. Honestly thought it was freight only, especially with the long single sections. Nice detour though; will have to have a night out in Sheffield and catch 1E73 home sometime ;)

eastwestdivide

Established Member
…or wait for some weekend engineering work. Just occasionally there’s work blocking Meadowhall and a limited service via the Tinsley route