• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual locos hauling failed HSTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostwin(m)

A snatched shot in fairly low light, but as I can't see any other pictures of 45's rescuing an HST set so far - I'll post it up.

19/05/85. 45037 pulling HST topped and tailed by 43015/006 through Sandwell & Dudley on the 16.45 Cardiff - Wolverhampton.
218.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
A snatched shot in fairly low light, but as I can't see any other pictures of 45's rescuing an HST set so far - I'll post it up.

19/05/85. 45037 pulling HST topped and tailed by 43015/006 through Sandwell & Dudley on the 16.45 Cardiff - Wolverhampton.
View attachment 145807
Remember waiting for my grandparents at Cheltenham in the early 80s and train was a failed HST hauled by a peak. Likely was a 46 but I don't know as was very young and didn't collect numbers but could recognise different types do know it wasn't a 37 or a 40.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

View attachment 145807
There is at least one other shot of that exact working on Flickr funnily enough! ;)

But thanks for sharing, you never know that others will also capture the unusual and I'm always grateful that anyone took such photographs for others to see in the future.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I can only recall rescues by 47's and 56's. I had one HST expire to be rescued by the dirtiest class 47 possible. Faded blue paint, oil stains, brown coating. Went like the clappers. Massive louds of black smoke on pull away from every station.

56 rescues were only short distance - assume they were nearest available loco.

EDIT - I had a DVT fail on a southbound service at Doncaster with the 91 run round. Sadly it took so long to hook up that the service was cancelled. Still haven't had a blunt end run on a 91 :(

The Crab

I can only recall rescues by 47's and 56's. I had one HST expire to be rescued by the dirtiest class 47 possible. Faded blue paint, oil stains, brown coating. Went like the clappers. Massive louds of black smoke on pull away from every station.

56 rescues were only short distance - assume they were nearest available loco.

EDIT - I had a DVT fail on a southbound service at Doncaster with the 91 run round. Sadly it took so long to hook up that the service was cancelled. Still haven't had a blunt end run on a 91 :(
What would the problem have been? Weren't they designed to run blunt end first when required?

Status
Not open for further replies.