• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual Station Name Lettering, Early 1960s Glasgow Electrics?

Chrius56000

. . .I'm sure I came across one or two photos of modernised Scottish Region Glasgow Suburban Stations that could have white (or light blue) station name signage with very unusual black lettering – possibly Westerton might have been one – the lettering might have been a variety of "Grotesque" with a flat–topped "3" which was often used for contemporary Newspaper Headlines of the period – can anyone confirm this?

. . .(It most certainly was NOT Corporate–Era "Rail Alphabet" or Gill Sans lettering!)

Chris Williams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Is this what you're referring to? The photo is in black and white, which doesn't exactly help matters, but the 303 (the plug-doored testbed unit 303035; note how the doors are flush with the bodysides) is clearly in original 'Caley Blue' without yellow warning panels, which helps narrow the date range down somewhat. The lettering doesn't look like any other I've seen on any other station signs from this era or part of the network; this is the only image I've come across that clearly shows it.

303035.jpg

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That sounds a bit like the logo that was used for a short while after the electrics were introduced?

1710979304913.png

randyrippley

Established Member
Is this what you're referring to? The photo is in black and white, which doesn't exactly help matters, but the 303 (the plug-doored testbed unit 303035; note how the doors are flush with the bodysides) is clearly in original 'Caley Blue' without yellow warning panels, which helps narrow the date range down somewhat. The lettering doesn't look like any other I've seen on any other station signs from this era or part of the network; this is the only image I've come across that clearly shows it.

View attachment 154627
To me that looks like the window surrounds are in a different colour than the lower body. Is that what you'd expect in Caley Blue?

Chrius56000

Yes, I think that was it, but there were also lamp–post signs that were unusually lettered as well that the picture doesn't show that I'm sure I saw in a book once!

Chris Williams

McRhu

To me that looks like the window surrounds are in a different colour than the lower body. Is that what you'd expect in Caley Blue?
It was all uniform Caley Blue but there were thin black rubber window surrounds of course. I think it's just the way it's catching the light there.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
. . .I'm sure I came across one or two photos of modernised Scottish Region Glasgow Suburban Stations that could have white (or light blue) station name signage with very unusual black lettering – possibly Westerton might have been one – the lettering might have been a variety of "Grotesque" with a flat–topped "3" which was often used for contemporary Newspaper Headlines of the period – can anyone confirm this?

. . .(It most certainly was NOT Corporate–Era "Rail Alphabet" or Gill Sans lettering!)

Chris Williams
I have a vague recollection of running in boards at a small number of stations, Drumchapel, maybe Westerton, maybe Drumry having black lettering on a dark yellow background, or is my memory playing tricks, it was after all 60 plus years ago.
Does that ring a bell with anyone.

McRhu

I have a vague recollection of running in boards at a small number of stations, Drumchapel, maybe Westerton, maybe Drumry having black lettering on a dark yellow background, or is my memory playing tricks, it was after all 60 plus years ago.
I seem to remember something similar at High Street, but there again... it was a long time ago.

nb... Just noticed Buzby's thread "Glasgow Museums Resource Centre"in which he shows a Singer sign as noted above, in the 'Blue Train' style signage: Black on yellow with the chevrons logo.

Last edited:

d9009alycidon

Correct. Although it only seemed to be stations from Glasgow to the West. Paul Strathdee posted a photo on Facebook showing the Black and Yellow signage at Queen Street. Don't know if this link works