• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unwelcome Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Probably a station where there is no hope of a train for a while - e.g. Denton, or Dunnoon Castle in winter.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Crewe. One rainy, windswept night in late November. I really made a cock up of getting home before daybreak that time. :( Absolutely, unequivocally abysmal.

steamybrian

Established Member
Dovey Junction has absolutely nothing.
Doleham (between Hastings and Ashford) has few trains and no pubs or shops within several miles of the station.

I have used Berney Arms and visted the nearby pub ..! No prizes fior guessing the name of the pub.!

pitdiver

Dovey Junction has absolutely nothing.
Doleham (between Hastings and Ashford) has few trains and no pubs or shops within several miles of the station.

I have used Berney Arms and visted the nearby pub ..! No prizes fior guessing the name of the pub.!

isn't the pub only open in the Summer?

Flamingo

Established Member
Bristol Parkway. Despite having very nice staff, it is a wind tunnel that has a railway line running through it!

Gathursty

Established Member
Probably a station where there is no hope of a train for a while - e.g. Denton, or Dunnoon Castle in winter.

Denton? Hmmm, well if you're local you could find your way to a more frequently served station in at least 20 minutes but point taken if you came from miles away to use the service on a Friday.

steamybrian

Established Member
Tees-side Airport (without ANY shadow of a doubt)!
...within 15 minutes walk of the airport terminal building.

At Berney Arms or Dovey Junction it would take you 15 minutes just to get to the nearest public road..
At Doleham it serves only a few houses and the nearest pub or shop or other habitation is about 2 miles away.
I will also add Shippea Hill near Ely which serves.........nothing?
Plus Altnabreac on the Far North line which serves.....nothing?

rmt-driver

St Pancras ... I love the Betjeman Ale at that pub but it would cost me a FORTUNE in pints if I was stranded there for any length of time!!

steamybrian

Established Member
Smallbrook Junction. No road access and no train service when the IWSR isn't running.
.....Then how did you get there..?
Agree it is an exchange station only and there is no access to or from a public road or path.
The nearest public road is the overbridge just north of the station from where there is a public footpath that leads to Ryde about one mile away.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Bearley on the Hatton-Stratford branch would kinda suck. A single platform long enough for two carriages with a crappy bus shelter. Nothing at all to do on the station.

F6ETv.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what there is nearby either, its a tiny little village of about 700 people and one pub. You could probably walk to Stratford upon Avon in 45 minutes to an hour, and in all honesty I think that is your best bet if you are stranded. You might get lucky and be able to jump on a bus, but it looks like there are only two or three buses a day so you probably wont.

First class

Established Member
The ultimate one is Altnabreac. I still don't know what Scotrail could do if trains got stranded further South because of bad weather.

Absolutely nothing there. No roads. Looks to be in the middle of a MASSIVE foresty wilderness.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The ultimate one is Altnabreac. I still don't know what Scotrail could do if trains got stranded further South because of bad weather.

Absolutely nothing there. No roads. Looks to be in the middle of a MASSIVE foresty wilderness.

I was just going to say Altnabreac! It's isolatedness scares me slightly, I couldn't imagine being stranded there!

Also Reddish South!!

WestCoast

Established Member
Oh, I didn't know we were going in terms of general life, I thought only on train services!!.

Well, if it was in terms of rail station, I'd hate to be stranded overnight at Wakefield Kirkgate, but I'd certainly go to Wakefield Westgate before it came to that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.