• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Update on Railcard app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonschool

Hey all. I remember seeing a thread last year (here) talking about how there was a Railcard app in the works. However that was a year ago and was meant to be released in April of this year. Was wondering if anybody had any updates?

http://www.raildeliverygroup.com/media-centre/press-releases/2015/661-2015-09-28.html

Railcards are set to be revolutionised under plans for a new digital app enabling passengers to store their cards on a smartphone and tablet.

More than 40 years after the first Railcard was introduced, the complete range of national Railcards will be available digitally as well as on paper or plastic in a move designed to make applying for and using the popular rail travel discount card simpler, quicker and more convenient.

The app will also mean that fewer customers are left frustrated at having left their Railcard at home, as they are more likely to remember their phone.

The Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) has launched a search for a supplier to come up with the technology with the aim of introducing the Railcard app in April next year.

A digital Railcard will look just like a paper or plastic version but will be quicker to apply for, with no need to queue at a station ticket office or to wait for a card in the post.

Once downloaded, the app won’t need an internet connection, and will be available offline to show to staff on the train or at the station.

It will sit on a smartphone or other smart device but the user will be able to retrieve it again even if their device is lost, stolen or replaced.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JaJaWa

Established Member

Was any progress made on this please? raildeliverygroup.com/media-centre/p… Says release April 2016.

Yes, I'm afraid the railcard app was delayed, but the new date I've been given for launch is March 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.