• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Use different card to pick up Avanti tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triddle

Hi all,

Long time lurker and enjoyer of discussions on these forums, finally have a question of my own.

I booked tickets from the Avanti website for a journey starting (with an Avanti train) at Euston, with tickets to be picked up from the machine. However, I now can't find the card I used for the transaction and want to know whether I can use an expired version of that debit card (same number and account, just a different expiry date)? Or will I have to queue up at the ticket counter to try and sort it out?

I won't have an opportunity to get to any station before I make the journey, and predictably, the Avanti website offered no help.

Many thanks for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Graham H

Hi all,

Long time lurker and enjoyer of discussions on these forums, finally have a question of my own.

I booked tickets from the Avanti website for a journey starting (with an Avanti train) at Euston, with tickets to be picked up from the machine. However, I now can't find the card I used for the transaction and want to know whether I can use an expired version of that debit card (same number and account, just a different expiry date)? Or will I have to queue up at the ticket counter to try and sort it out?

I won't have an opportunity to get to any station before I make the journey, and predictably, the Avanti website offered no help.

Probably doesnt categorically answer your question but at my local Southern station I can use any card, even in another name to start the process. There was a similar discussion recently and I believe a kindly ticket checker (yes there are some) managed to help a damsel in distress and used his own credit/debit card to get the machine started so the lady could enter the booking reference. The wording on the booking reference emailed to me stated To collect your tickets from a ticket machine you will need both your collection reference and any UK bank credit or debit card (your card will not be charged as you have paid for your ticket(s) note the use of the word 'any' when referring to cards, so does your booking say anything similar ??

Triddle

Avanti website says something along the lines of the card you used to make the booking. However, from experience I know that sometimes any card will do. Just wondering whether the sometimes case applies to Avanti and Avanti TVMs (ie whether it's worth trying to contact Avanti and asking them to change the card that can pick up the tickets).

OscarH

Avanti website says something along the lines of the card you used to make the booking. However, from experience I know that sometimes any card will do. Just wondering whether the sometimes case applies to Avanti and Avanti TVMs (ie whether it's worth trying to contact Avanti and asking them to change the card that can pick up the tickets).
Whether it has to be collected with the same card is set by who sold it to you, and can be changed by them. You can try contacting Avanti and asking them to change the flag on the booking so it can be collected by any card, though I'm not sure if their customer support is any good. Alternatively, if they won't play ball or you happen to be at a station, you could try with a different card just in case their website is wrong, and if that doesn't work talk to the ticket office, some people have had success there with other ID (though exactly what the rules say on this front I'm not sure)

Graham H

Whether it has to be collected with the same card is set by who sold it to you, and can be changed by them. You can try contacting Avanti and asking them to change the flag on the booking so it can be collected by any card, though I'm not sure if their customer support is any good. Alternatively, if they won't play ball or you happen to be at a station, you could try with a different card just in case their website is wrong, and if that doesn't work talk to the ticket office, some people have had success there with other ID (though exactly what the rules say on this front I'm not sure)
Yes thats the conclusion from previous discussions, theres a setting that can be changed. However, if the OP has an email confirmation then I suggested they read the small print as my most recent booking stated very clearly that To collect your tickets from a ticket machine you will need both your collection reference and any UK bank credit or debit card (your card will not be charged as you have paid for your ticket(s) so rather than try phoning and be held in a call centre queue just take a look at the confirmation note first to see whether 'any' card is stated or specifically the one booked with.

Triddle

Yes thats the conclusion from previous discussions, theres a setting that can be changed. However, if the OP has an email confirmation then I suggested they read the small print as my most recent booking stated very clearly that To collect your tickets from a ticket machine you will need both your collection reference and any UK bank credit or debit card (your card will not be charged as you have paid for your ticket(s) so rather than try phoning and be held in a call centre queue just take a look at the confirmation note first to see whether 'any' card is stated or specifically the one booked with.
Unfortunately the booking confirmation email never arrived ...

Was the booking you quote from also made via the Avanti website?

Have submitted a query on their website asking them whether I can use a different card (and if not whether they can flag the booking to allow any card). The confirmation email tells me I may have to wait up to 4 weeks for a response (which is obviously less than useful).

Graham H

Have submitted a query on their website asking them whether I can use a different card (and if not whether they can flag the booking to allow any card). The confirmation email tells me I may have to wait up to 4 weeks for a response (which is obviously less than useful).
My booking was via Southern but I just hoped any confirmation email might have stated what card was valid but if you havent got it then that wasnt very helpful of me ! I have just read of someone using a Nectar card to start the process at the machine ! Not sure if its true though.............

ServerHoster

Looking at my 3 most recent Avanti bookings, it doesn't even tell you what type of card you need! Just says:

Collection reference number: XXXXXXXX

With no other info

Graham H

Whether its helpful (or even true) the RailEurope site says

Collecting UK train tickets without a card​

If you forgot your payment card, don't worry! Any valid bank card can be used to collect UK train tickets; it doesn't have to be the card you used for payment.

Typhoon

Established Member

(South Eastern) Whenever I've picked up a ticket from a machine I've needed a/ the card* and a code (the reference, which I am pretty confident contained letters as well as digits) as stated buy @ServerHoster above. There might be a difficulty if you don't have that - at machines I had to type it in, if collecting at a ticket office I have had to read it out.

* can't remember what it said.

alistairlees

Established Member
Hi all,

If you don't have the card you used to pay with, then you will need to go to the ticket counter, most likely.

Each ticketing system is set up differently as to whether it requires the same card, or any card; it's not possible to infer from other TOCs' collection requirements what the Avanti one is (Avanti uses PICO4UK, which is only used by Avanti and C2C, to sell online, and I can't remember what the default setting of this is - though, from your other posts, it looks like you must use the same card as you paid with).

You can also (as you have already done) contact them - a DM on Twitter or a phone call will be best - to ask them to change your booking to "any card" collection. But, if you never received the booking confirmation email, do you have the collection reference?

Taunton

Established Member
My business tickets are booked by our travel organiser in the office on their corporate Amex card. I have no trouble picking them up at Euston with a Visa debit card.

Triddle

Sounds like I might be OK on the day, or I may not be ... I shall DM them on Twitter, as suggested by AlistairLees and report back.

PS although I didn't receive the confirmation email I do have the collection ref which was shown on their website at time of purchase.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Sounds like I might be OK on the day, or I may not be ... I shall DM them on Twitter, as suggested by AlistairLees and report back.

PS although I didn't receive the confirmation email I do have the collection ref which was shown on their website at time of purchase.

Making assumptions like that is how people get themselves into situations. If you can't collect your ticket what is your plan?

Unless someone credible can state that Avanti set their sales to any card collection I would assume they do require purchase card.

Triddle

Making assumptions like that is how people get themselves into situations. If you can't collect your ticket what is your plan?

Unless someone credible can state that Avanti set their sales to any card collection I would assume they do require purchase card.
Well, as I said, the plan is to DM Avanti on twitter and also to wait and see if they answer my query through their website.

And if neither of those bear fruit, I'll have to call a call-centre on the other side of the world. And if that doesn't work I'll be buying new tickets, won't I?

Flying Snail

Established Member
Well, as I said, the plan is to DM Avanti on twitter and also to wait and see if they answer my query through their website.

And if neither of those bear fruit, I'll have to call a call-centre on the other side of the world. And if that doesn't work I'll be buying new tickets, won't I?

Twitter is probably the most likely source of a solution, certainly other people have had this scenario resolved that way. All retailers CAN set a purchase to any-card collection it is just a matter of getting them to do it.

Ticket offices should also help by printing the tickets for you but I and others have at times encountered some exceptionally unhelpful staff at Euston so I couldn't guarantee that would work.

Your expired card with the same number may work, the TVM doesn't validate like a purchase, it just matches against a database, it may not even be the full card number but again without trying there is no way of guaranteeing that will work either.

I wasn't having a go at you, just pointing out that the worst case scenario is as you say having to purchase an expensive walk-up ticket, the forums often see threads in the dispute section from people that make incorrect assumptions and follow them up with bad decisions such as ticketless travel when their options for resolving their initial problem runs out.

Wolfie

Established Member

May be a dumb question, if so sorry, but did you check your spam/junk mailbox? I've certainly had confirmation emails end up there in the past.

You can also potentially go back into the booking on the Avanti website and try to resend if you have an account.

Triddle

I wasn't having a go at you, just pointing out that the worst case scenario is as you say having to purchase an expensive walk-up ticket, the forums often see threads in the dispute section from people that make incorrect assumptions and follow them up with bad decisions such as ticketless travel when their options for resolving their initial problem runs out.
Well yes, the Disputes forum provides cautionary reading for any who assume the UK railway system uses logic and goodwill when it comes to ticketing problems.

The DM on twitter has been answered: I need to subject myself to several hours of lift music down the phoneline. Let's see what they say ...

May be a dumb question, if so sorry, but did you check your spam/junk mailbox? I've certainly had confirmation emails end up there in the past.

You can also potentially go back into the booking on the Avanti website and try to resend if you have an account.
Not a dumb question - that's my first advice to anyone in this situation. But no, nowt in the spambox. Their marketing emails get through fine, just not the ones that might be useful!

Update
Just got through on the phone - first reaction was to offer to cancel the (cheap, advance) tickets so I could buy new ones (!), but then the operator double checked and said she can set it so that I can use any card to pick up the tickets.

Thanks to all for the advice and feedback!

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
My business tickets are booked by our travel organiser in the office on their corporate Amex card. I have no trouble picking them up at Euston with a Visa debit card.
But, are your business tickets booked by your travel organiser using the Avanti West Coast website? If not, then it doesn't really have anything to do with the OP's predicament. This is because it is the retailing website that sets the card collection rules; the TVM is just a dumb machine, and applies these.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
The OP's question has been resolved, but FWIW, the Avanti FAQs at https://avantiwestcoast.service-now...5c31bab78143adb9828b04bcb8d#web-payment-issue (linked from the email that the OP never got) tell us
What if I don’t have the card I made the booking with?

If you don’t have the card you paid with, or if someone who isn’t the card holder is travelling and needs to collect the tickets, our Aftersales team can arrange this if they’re contacted ahead of the journey. You can speak to the team on 0345 528 0253 and choose option 5 for existing bookings. They’ll reissue the booking so that you or someone else can collect the tickets with any card.

Triddle

If you don’t have the card you paid with, or if someone who isn’t the card holder is travelling and needs to collect the tickets, our Aftersales team can arrange this.
Sounds like that email would have been useful to receive.

Perhaps somebody needs to tell the Aftersales team to make it less hard to 'arrange' this. I had to have a discussion with them first, and they made it sound like they were doing me a (begrudging) favour when they finally agreed to do so.

I shan't be buying tickets from that website again, so am now wondering where to buy tickets in future - see thread https://railforums.co.uk/threads/wh...ows-any-card-when-collecting-from-tvm.233986/

Birmingham

The DM on twitter has been answered: I need to subject myself to several hours of lift music down the phoneline.
That is interesting as I think some TOCs’ Twitter teams have access to their bookings? I’ve noticed some people asking GWR on Twitter about the conditions of their ticket, GWR asking for their booking reference number (if they booked with them), and coming back with the information. That must be a useful facility to avoid people having to wait (sometimes a long time) on the phone to speak to a slightly different team within the company.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Sounds like that email would have been useful to receive.
In fairness to Avanti, the FAQs are also accessible from their website - although by the time I found that out, I'd already found out from following the link in my Avanti email.

Status
Not open for further replies.