• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Use of mk2 air-con stock on steam railtours

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brush 4

It is far worse with MK2 DEF's. I booked on one of the first Saphos tours, a Crewe circular via Chester Shrewsbury, Oxley curve and Stafford. It was supposed to be a Royal Scot, the right loco for most of that route but, the day before was changed to a West Country, wrong for all of the route. In the aircon coach, I never heard it all day, except for distant whistling. However, the couple opposite were quite happy, looking at the countryside and never at the loco on curves. That market just wants a nice day out. The enthusiast market want authenticity as much as the modern railway allows.

Put another way, we are fussy and the leisure market isn't, any old steam engine will do. I haven't been on a special since, as most of them have random locos on random stock in random liveries, often mixed up in the same rake. As we are a disappearing minority, the non enthusiast market will prevail but, preservation of the past isn't happening on the main line anymore, as so much is factually and historically wrong these days.

co-tr-paul

My first railtour was in 94. At one point I would do around 10 a year.
As a railway employee, I can travel for far less than any railtour company charges in air con stock.
Because of the changes to stock and availability of types of loco, my last 37 railtour will be this year.
My last, and favorite, 33 railtour will also be this year, and also most likely My last diesel railtour ever.
The only steam railtour I will probably ever do again will be with " The Duchess" as 3 previous tours were cancelled !
End of an era.

JKF

For me, the true vintage feel (and I wasn’t even alive during the steam era) would need to be compartment stock with side corridor, not sure if anyone even runs that these days? Memories of the whole family (and friends) crammed into one compartment going down to Teignmouth for the day, buckets and spades on the rack above. If it’s open stock there isn’t much difference in feel between Mk1 and early Mk 2 stock.

andyjhatton

For me, the true vintage feel (and I wasn’t even alive during the steam era) would need to be compartment stock with side corridor, not sure if anyone even runs that these days? Memories of the whole family (and friends) crammed into one compartment going down to Teignmouth for the day, buckets and spades on the rack above. If it’s open stock there isn’t much difference in feel between Mk1 and early Mk 2 stock.
Vintage Trains run some compartment stock for first class.

Killingworth

Established Member

Ah, the nostalgic joy of sitting on a leather suitcase in the corridor of a packed ECML service from York to Newcastle shared with uniformed soldiers on their way back from active service in Cyprus or Aden - or just returning from Germany. Memories of a decrepit compartment creaking across country en route to Scarborough like now found on some heritage lines.

We've found the thrills of being hauled by modern steam traction can be outweighed by the views of the same trains as they pass - and a lot cheaper. There should be a way for operators to recover some of their costs from lineside photographers.

peteb

SRPS Railtours have (or at least had) a main line registered MK1 BSK
Yes I'm sure I've seen videos on YouTube of a train of MK1 stock, support carriage is a BSK then at the other end of the rake is another, apparently in use by passengers.

Vintage Trains run some compartment stock for first class.
Yes I believe it's a MK 1 FK, often in the centre of the rake for longer tours. Their Shakespeare Express is always MK 2a non air con stock with opening window vents. This is in my opinion the best compromise rake as it feels like the 60s inside, sounds right with vents open, yet has good ride quality.

It is far worse with MK2 DEF's. I booked on one of the first Saphos tours, a Crewe circular via Chester Shrewsbury, Oxley curve and Stafford. It was supposed to be a Royal Scot, the right loco for most of that route but, the day before was changed to a West Country, wrong for all of the route. In the aircon coach, I never heard it all day, except for distant whistling. However, the couple opposite were quite happy, looking at the countryside and never at the loco on curves. That market just wants a nice day out. The enthusiast market want authenticity as much as the modern railway allows.

Put another way, we are fussy and the leisure market isn't, any old steam engine will do. I haven't been on a special since, as most of them have random locos on random stock in random liveries, often mixed up in the same rake. As we are a disappearing minority, the non enthusiast market will prevail but, preservation of the past isn't happening on the main line anymore, as so much is factually and historically wrong these days.
Thanks for this information, which answers my original question about hearing the locomotive. To be fair to Saphos they do run a rake of largely 1st class MK1's for dining purposes, yet have the odd 1st class Aircon Mk2 FO and always a couple of Aircon Mk2 2nd class TSOs in the rake. So even if I booked first class with them there'd be no guarantee of sitting in the MK1 stock. It's odd that Saphos advert for second class shows the interior of a nicely refurbished MK1 TSO. Does this ever get put out in their rakes? I've not noticed it on the various YouTube videos.

Last edited:

bleeder4

Thanks for this information, which answers my original question about hearing the locomotive. To be fair to Saphos they do run a rake of largely 1st class MK1's for dining purposes, yet have the odd 1st class Aircon Mk2 FO and always a couple of Aircon Mk2 2nd class TSOs in the rake. So even if I booked first class with them there'd be no guarantee of sitting in the MK1 stock. It's odd that Saphos advert for second class shows the interior of a nicely refurbished MK1 TSO. Does this ever get put out in their rakes? I've not noticed it on the various YouTube videos.
On Saphos tours last year, Standard Class was seated in the Mk1 buffet coach with opening windows. There were two Mk2 FOs, one of them branded as Statesman. So people who had paid less would be in a Mk1, whereas people who paid more could potentially be in a Mk2. This year the Statesman Mk2 has been replaced by a Mk1 FO instead, so there is now just the one Mk2 in the rake. If you look on their Facebook page, you can see a video of the set returning back to Crewe last week from Eastleigh. You can see every coach is Mk1 with opening windows, apart from the one Mk2 at the end. I am on their first tour of the year in a couple of weeks, travelling First Class, and am in Coach J. From the video, you can see that the sole Mk2 coach is labelled as J, so I will be in that for my trip. If you book Standard Class I've no doubt it will be in the Mk1 buffet again, same as last year. There is a Mk1 FO under overhaul at Eastleigh, so once that is done it will replace that Mk2, meaning that the entire rake will then be Mk1 only.

peteb

On Saphos tours last year, Standard Class was seated in the Mk1 buffet coach with opening windows. There were two Mk2 FOs, one of them branded as Statesman. So people who had paid less would be in a Mk1, whereas people who paid more could potentially be in a Mk2. This year the Statesman Mk2 has been replaced by a Mk1 FO instead, so there is now just the one Mk2 in the rake. If you look on their Facebook page, you can see a video of the set returning back to Crewe last week from Eastleigh. You can see every coach is Mk1 with opening windows, apart from the one Mk2 at the end. I am on their first tour of the year in a couple of weeks, travelling First Class, and am in Coach J. From the video, you can see that the sole Mk2 coach is labelled as J, so I will be in that for my trip. If you book Standard Class I've no doubt it will be in the Mk1 buffet again, same as last year. There is a Mk1 FO under overhaul at Eastleigh, so once that is done it will replace that Mk2, meaning that the entire rake will then be Mk1 only.
This is good news because last year's Welsh marches tour in May had three Aircon vehicles in the consist. Do you know if the Aircon Mk2 Lochnagar in Pullman livery is a first or standard carriage? On that tour it was at the end of the train next to the class 47.

Last edited:

12LDA28C

Established Member
This is good news because last year's Welsh marches tour in May had three Aircon vehicles in the consist. Do you know if the Aircon Mk2 Lochnagar in Pullman livery is a first or standard carriage? On that tour it was at the end of the train next to the class 47.

'Lochnagar' is an FO. There is no Standard Class accommodation on Statesman tours any more so any vehicle in Pullman livery in the Statesman rake will be First Class (apart from any staff coaches such as BSO, BFK etc).