• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Useless vending machines at Ashford International

skyhigh

Established Member
I was impressed by the vending machines at Paris Austerlitz that sold some high quality sandwiches and foods that would put any UK station to shame
This is probably made easier by the way that packaged sandwiches in France are often long-life with maybe up to 14 days shelf life. They are fairly different to what you'd get in a UK supermarket.

I also spotted a vending machine at Marseille Saint-Charles the other week that sold a variety of hot pizza and burger options - no idea what the quality would be like though...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

seaviewer

The (mostly high-tech) ones at East Croydon have always delivered, but one at Haywards Heath diddled me out of £2 (if I recall) a while ago. But I did manage to get a refund!

Apologies for blank message above; couldn't work out how to post without replying

James H

This is probably made easier by the way that packaged sandwiches in France are often long-life with maybe up to 14 days shelf life. They are fairly different to what you'd get in a UK supermarket.
No - these were salads and other relatively short-life, fresh products.

occone

Time for another decade of protest!
Dear diary, I must report I have failed at my boycott.

Arrived at York today, parched from a Northern 155 that was internally the temperature of the sun. Fancying a crisp, cool can of something sparkling, the vending machine on platform 3 gleamed - it was magnificently stocked, every item full to the back and labels facing forwards. I thought I'd be the one to ruin the perfection and tried to place an order (this vending machine had a "basket" that you had to add things to before you could "check out" - it is probably grandiose enough to think of itself as a vertical supermarket). But every item was "prohibited", a nod to North Korea where everything looks plentiful to tourists who don't look too hard into the detail. I gave up, devastated.

I saw another machine in the little waiting hut down the platform, which was packed with a carpet of crying children and extremely worn looking looking parents. Suitcases presumably full of opened presents lined the walls.

This machine accepted my "order" and a tinny speaker told me to present my card, which I did. £1.20 layer (yes really) a can of fizzy nectar thumped down, and after wrestling the anti theft flap open I ripped the can open without thinking about how agitated it was from it's recent descent.

I made an arse of myself. Fanta foamed up and overflowed the can, spilling everywhere. I was already starting to walk out, and no amount of hoovering the top of the can worked. Someone who was walking past me did a polite "Oop" as she recoiled to safety from the orange eruption. I had no choice but to press on and march right out of the waiting room, kidding myself that I wasn't embarrassed.

What Fanta was left went in mere seconds and it was divine, I was too parched to care.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Can I ask @occone why they didn’t just pop to Sainsbury’s or even the York Tap if they wanted a refreshing drink at a worthwhile price?

londonbridge

Established Member
I've tried to use these vending machines twice. Once, I couldn't figure it out, and the combined wisdom of myself and a man in a suit was only able to work out how the thing worked when my train was pulling in!

The other time was at Doncaster, and I bought a Twix to complement my Subway sandwich from platform 1. It successfully disgorged a Twix into the basin, but the heavy metal flap nearly took my arm off when I tried to push it open to grab it. Eventually I located my treat and hurried off with it to my train. In many years of dedicated Twix-eating, I can comfortably say it was the worst Twix I have ever eaten. I had to use both hands to eat it, as just one wasn't strong enough to tear it out of my teeth. It was astonishingly tough.
Well if you’re willing to pay £1.30 for a standard Twix (which is what the machine wanted when I was at Doncaster yesterday)…..needless to say I didn’t get one as I refuse to pay ripoff vending machine prices and generally try to buy snacks for a longer journey elsewhere at closer to normal prices before entering the station and/or boarding.

Tester

Try Japan! It's a paradise in this respect. The vending machines actually work, sell a huge range of products and, best of all, charge the same price as a shop so you don't feel ripped off.

I feel so sorry for Japanese tourists over here, having to put up with our crap vending machines (to say nothing of the railways...).
I can absolutely vouch for Japanese vending machines - about the only place I consider using such.

A cornetto style ice cream for under a pound is a nice treat.

Purple Train

Established Member
Well if you’re willing to pay £1.30 for a standard Twix (which is what the machine wanted when I was at Doncaster yesterday)…..needless to say I didn’t get one as I refuse to pay ripoff vending machine prices and generally try to buy snacks for a longer journey elsewhere at closer to normal prices before entering the station and/or boarding.
I needed something to complement the delicious Subway ;)
One does not let trivial things such as mealtimes interrupt a well-planned itinerary, either!

I quite agree, though - I have vowed not to touch any such machine for fear of meeting another diamond Twix.

Travelmonkey

Dear diary, I must report I have failed at my boycott.

Arrived at York today, parched from a Northern 155 that was internally the temperature of the sun. Fancying a crisp, cool can of something sparkling, the vending machine on platform 3 gleamed - it was magnificently stocked, every item full to the back and labels facing forwards. I thought I'd be the one to ruin the perfection and tried to place an order (this vending machine had a "basket" that you had to add things to before you could "check out" - it is probably grandiose enough to think of itself as a vertical supermarket). But every item was "prohibited", a nod to North Korea where everything looks plentiful to tourists who don't look too hard into the detail. I gave up, devastated.

I saw another machine in the little waiting hut down the platform, which was packed with a carpet of crying children and extremely worn looking looking parents. Suitcases presumably full of opened presents lined the walls.

This machine accepted my "order" and a tinny speaker told me to present my card, which I did. £1.20 layer (yes really) a can of fizzy nectar thumped down, and after wrestling the anti theft flap open I ripped the can open without thinking about how agitated it was from it's recent descent.

I made an arse of myself. Fanta foamed up and overflowed the can, spilling everywhere. I was already starting to walk out, and no amount of hoovering the top of the can worked. Someone who was walking past me did a polite "Oop" as she recoiled to safety from the orange eruption. I had no choice but to press on and march right out of the waiting room, kidding myself that I wasn't embarrassed.

What Fanta was left went in mere seconds and it was divine, I was too parched to care.
How many times do I need to tell you use the station pub , although I can't really say good things about vending machines after one nearly crushed me. A bit of patience is required for a vending drinky,

zuriblue

It depends on what the vending machine is selling surely. (Photo shows a vending machine in a BB Hotel in Karlsruhe, Germany offering a selection of cold beers)
IMG_2575.jpeg

Mikey C

Established Member
I imagine the contents would be a bit shaken up by the drop to the bottom. That's an impressive selection of drinks though!

zuriblue

How do they verify the age of the purchaser?
I don’t remember seeing anything to be honest. BB hotels close the reception at night and you check in through a kiosk so staff have nothing to do with it.

The SOB Traverso sets used on the Voralpen Express (Luzern - St Gallen) and IR35 (Chur - Zürich- Bern over the old route) have vending machines that sell beer and wine as do the ex Westbahn sets that DB use on the Gaubahn (Zürich - Singen - Stuttgart) but in both cases you have to swipe your ID card through a reader to get it to sell it to you. (Passports and Swiss driving licences also work)

lxfe_mxtterz

Try Japan! It's a paradise in this respect. The vending machines actually work, sell a huge range of products and, best of all, charge the same price as a shop so you don't feel ripped off.

I feel so sorry for Japanese tourists over here, having to put up with our crap vending machines (to say nothing of the railways...).
Indeed - and from my (very positive) experiences, many of them offer the option of both cold and hot drinks.

Picking up a hot coffee from a vending machine one cold evening at a rural station in Hiroshima Prefecture for the very reasonable price of ¥130 (approximately £0.71) was a lifesaver.

Over here, it can be a task to find a hot drink at or near a station beyond 7 pm - even at suburban stations in outer London.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
The delights of spellcheck!
The best think you can do with spellcheck is to turn it off.
Not used any vending machines for years - too many sugary drinks (which I have to avoid)- or grossly expensive water.
Many years ago, I used to like those machines which offered a cardboard carton of cold milk for (I think) about 6d (2.5p). Sadly, they disappeared, to be replaced by machines selling only "big-name" branded stuff (mostly yuk in my opinion).