• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using day return on first departure after midnight

gray1404

Established Member
Asking for a friend who is working nights.

They want to travel from Formby to Southport. On the 00.07 service and return after their shift later mid morning.

They can use an Anytime Day Return at £3.10 with Railcard discount as departure is after midnight so they are returning same day? Single tickets would get expensive otherwise and period returns are not available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A season ticket ("Railpass" in this case) would be a more appropriate way to pay for a commuter type journey on multiple days a week.

Theoretically what you suggest is possible (though I wouldn't bet on a Merseyrail booking office not messing it up and issuing for the day before or refusing it entirely) but I'm not sure the Railcard would necessarily be valid - it depends which one and the exact conditions on it. Which is it?

M28361M

An Area D Railpass is £22.70 for a week so the discounted day return works out cheaper. A monthly pass (£79.50) would only be cheaper if making more than 25 return journeys in a month.

Formby has a ticket vending machine so maybe try using that if the ticket office is difficult.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks guys. He's got a disabled Railcard so no time restrictions and the journey will only be 3 times a week round trip.

I'll tell him to either:

Not approach the booking office window until after 00.00

If before then clearly ask for a ticket for tomorrow

Use the ticket machine and select accordingly

Buy the ticket online and collect from the booking office window

robbeech

Established Member
It's disappointing to see that the option of using the booking office is the one that is likely to be most problematic.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's disappointing to see that the option of using the booking office is the one that is likely to be most problematic.
It's not problematic if they ask for what they need, namely a ticket for "tomorrow" if they are buying before midnight.

robbeech

Established Member
It's not problematic if they ask for what they need, namely a ticket for "tomorrow" if they are buying before midnight.
Maybe i should have worded it "The method people claim could have the most trouble"