• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using station as pedestrian through-route

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailMad

I live near Taplow station. There is a road that runs under the train-line next to the station that is rather precarious for pedestrians. Is it possible for me to use contactless to tap-in on one side of Taplow station, use the station bridge to cross the railway line, and tap-out at the other side to exit. Anyone know if there would be a charge on my card?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
No, you'll be charged.
Something.
If you enter and leave the same station without making a journey, we may charge you a fare up to a maximum fare.
Although primarily related to stations with barriers, there are potentially fraudulent uses if it were free to tap in and out again at the same station, and I presume this extends to stations without barriers and more than one entry/exit.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
There are stations where it is possible to cross the railway without buying a ticket or tapping in. If there are barriers, the footbridge is divided into public and rail-side halves, as at Teddington and Surbiton. (There are also stations like Kew Gardens which have separate entrances on each side so you can't change platforms without tapping out and in again.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The former Warwick Road station on the Manchester Oxford Road -> Altrincham line (since renamed as Old Trafford station and now on the Metrolink system) used to charge users something like 10p to use the pedestrian subway, from one side of the line to the other, particularly on busy match days at the nearby cricket and football grounds.

jfollows

Established Member
If you make a one-time decision not to travel after having tapped in at a station you can request a refund of the charge, but this would hardly apply if you were to use the route through the station on a regular basis.

The former Warwick Road station on the Manchester Oxford Road -> Altrincham line (since renamed as Old Trafford station and now on the Metrolink system) used to charge users something like 10p to use the pedestrian subway, from one side of the line to the other, particularly on busy match days at the nearby cricket and football grounds.
I still call it Warwick Road, at least to myself, because I spent hours waiting at platform 4 at Oxford Road when there was a frequent service to Altrincham and the litany of station names from the announcer is burned into my brain irrevocably ..... "Deansgate, Old Trafford, Warwick Road, Stretford, Dane Road, Sale ......".
I didn't actually travel on the line for quite a long time, first time in the brake van of an AM4 with the guard I think, although I worked from an office in Sale for about ten years in later life starting in 1996.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...the litany of station names from the announcer is burned into my brain irrevocably ..... "Deansgate, Old Trafford, Warwick Road, Stretford, Dane Road, Sale ......".

Me too. Also the stopping services from Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe.

Anyhoo, endeavouring to drag the thread back on topic, are there any other stations on the network where currently, or historically, you'd be charged a fee to use the station as a short-cut, and it would be a long way round not to so do so?

pdeaves

Established Member
Me too. Also the stopping services from Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe.

Anyhoo, endeavouring to drag the thread back on topic, are there any other stations on the network where currently, or historically, you'd be charged a fee to use the station as a short-cut, and it would be a long way round not to so do so?
Guildford certainly used to have a public right of way across the bridge. They used to issue special tickets to allow the user in/out at the other end. I don't think money had to change hands, though.

Brooke

Guildford certainly used to have a public right of way across the bridge.
Some examples I can think of different types:

Blackfriars - you can tap in one bank of the Thames, cross on the platforms and back out the other bank - but you get charged when you do

Whitechapel - has a split bridge, with one side for passengers who have tapped in, and one separate side for locals who are just crossing from one street to the other

Sheffield - two separate bridges I believe, one for a public footpath and one for access across the station platforms

GC class B1

Some examples I can think of different types:

Blackfriars - you can tap in one bank of the Thames, cross on the platforms and back out the other bank - but you get charged when you do

Whitechapel - has a split bridge, with one side for passengers who have tapped in, and one separate side for locals who are just crossing from one street to the other

Sheffield - two separate bridges I believe, one for a public footpath and one for access across the station platforms
There aren’t any barriers at Sheffield and there is only one footbridge.

MCR247

Established Member
There aren’t any barriers at Sheffield and there is only one footbridge.
There is only one footbridge in the station itself, but there is another footbridge that goes over the station for public use

DelW

Established Member
Guildford certainly used to have a public right of way across the bridge. They used to issue special tickets to allow the user in/out at the other end. I don't think money had to change hands, though.
I think bridge passes (as they're known) are still used at Guildford. The signs about the extent of their validity are certainly still there (they're valid via bridge but not subway).

Brooke

There is only one footbridge in the station itself, but there is another footbridge that goes over the station for public use
I think it’s still there, but could be wrong. Behind the Q-park, goes up and over the south end of the platforms.

While the other as you say is part of the station itself, goes out to the tram stop.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was discussed on the forum before, the footbridge at Guildford was not and is not a public right of way, but public access across the station via the footbridge results from an agreement associated with planning permission.

neilmc

I don't think there is another country in the world whose rail system would generate this discussion, what with "bridge passes" and the possibility of being charged for some kind of train journey one never made.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've never totally understood why TfL don't have it so if you tap into a station then back out within say 5 or 10 minutes you are charged nothing. It's not like you could have travelled in that time, and you're hardly going to give your debit card to someone else.

The way they have set it up is just creating work for their call centre for no logical reason.

This approach would also allow for practical gating of a station like Sheffield with a public right of way over the bridge. You'd then only have to provide some sort of alternative for the very small number of people who do not possess any form of contactless payment card or device.

Magdalia

Established Member
There are stations where it is possible to cross the railway without buying a ticket or tapping in.
At Stevenage and Welwyn Garden City the footbridges are available for use as pedestrian walking routes. At Stevenage there is one gateline on the bridge, at Welwyn Garden City there are two gatelines, one on each island platform. In both cases the lifts at footbridge level are outside the gateline(s).

Wolfie

Established Member
I think bridge passes (as they're known) are still used at Guildford. The signs about the extent of their validity are certainly still there (they're valid via bridge but not subway).
There used to be something similar in Swindon too, particularly important if you were visiting certain Government offices there.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've never totally understood why TfL don't have it so if you tap into a station then back out within say 5 or 10 minutes you are charged nothing. It's not like you could have travelled in that time, and you're hardly going to give your debit card to someone else.

The way they have set it up is just creating work for their call centre for no logical reason.
The system was deliberately set up like this to dissuade people touching in and then immediately touching out, travelling for free to their unbarreriered destination.

I think “Neilmc” has it right. If there is such a thing as “tap in” and “tap out” then there will be times noted. If there is only a minute or two between those, then no journey can have been made, so no reason for a charge. Are Network Rail or the TOCs so hard up that they charge for walking over their bridges? I do see the point that fare dodgers can use this tactic. I wonder how often people are charged for not making a journey?

greyman42

Established Member
You can use York station as a short cut from the main entrance to Leeman Road/ NRM. There are no barriers but the Leeman Road entrance is shut late at night.
You can also cut through the short stay car park from the main entrance to get to Scarborough Bridge. Again this route is closed late at night.

BJames

Established Member
You can currently walk though Nottingham station from the Station Street side to the Queen's Road side, as both sides have no barriers - although the alternative around the front via Carrington Street is not far. I've seen on other threads this bridge is going to have the exits shut off soon (or the whole bridge being taken out of use)?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The system was deliberately set up like this to dissuade people touching in and then immediately touching out, travelling for free to their unbarreriered destination.

Perhaps made sense at the time, but hardly any of LU (if any at all?) is now ungated so it's perhaps an old concern.

boiledbeans2

It's been suspended since Covid though. To ensure social distancing on the bridge.

lachlan

Would this behaviour not be picked up by the gateline staff? Someone tapping out but not leaving would look rather suspicious

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Perhaps made sense at the time, but hardly any of LU (if any at all?) is now ungated so it's perhaps an old concern.
But there are enough paid-side interchanges with DLR, overground, or other national rail services, that there are still numerous destinations (other than LU) that don‘t have barriers within the zones, and then there’s the wider area outside the zones...

davews

Martins Heron (no barriers) has always been widely used by the local community as a cut through to Tesco and elsewhere - and my daily local walks. I think if they ever put barriers there there would be an outcry (especially since Tesco provided some of the funding when it first opened and own some of the land...).

Snow1964

Established Member
There are some stations where platforms were lengthened and a former right of way was replaced by footbridges spanning the whole station. examples are Brockenhurst and a very long concrete one at Seaton Junction (added when the station was 4 tracked).

My own local station has a step free entrance each side, but the only ticket machines are on town side, so need to enter station and use the footbridge to get a ticket if using the other entrance, but there are no barriers so non railway users use it as shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.