• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Passports - currently being considered in Scotland & Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I completely accept that lockdown has played havoc with all sorts of things, including some peoples' finances and mental health; the point is unarguable, and discussion about the consequences of anti-Covid measures can only be on the grounds of relative harm - where our views obviously differ fundamentally.

You then go on to challenge me about what I've written; you obviously haven't actually read a lot of what I've written given that I've explicitly said that I welcome the current relaxation of restrictions and also that I believe it necessary. The evidence of harm from Covid is that it does far more damage than flu, both in the deaths it causes and the impact on some patients. You repeat the mantra that Covid only kills 0.2% of sufferers, yet ignore other effects or the evidence of the last year of the impact that "only" 0.2% has.

Finally, North Korea. You raised the comparison, I suggest that you actually try to articulate the similarities in the real world. Let's start by the existence of this forum, and our ability to have this conversation without being killed, and our extended families sentenced to long stretches in concentration camps. Whatever the issues with this government, the comparison of them with genuinely authoritarian and totalitarian regimes is simply not credible.

Hm hm and yet the government has been trying to pass a bill in which you can’t protest what they do or else get ten years for doing so, so we’re on a slippery slope no matter how hard you deny it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

35B

Established Member
But who decides that HART's findings are "disinformation"?

A famous example of "fact checking" changing was at one point saying the virus originated from a lab leak in China was "disinformation"; now it is a mainstream theory.

Considering how wrong SAGE have been on many things, when are they going to be classed as "disinformation"?
"Mainstream" would be putting it rather strongly - though I'd agree mass circulation.

Hm hm and yet the government has been trying to pass a bill in which you can’t protest what they do or else get ten years for doing so, so we’re on a slippery slope no matter how hard you deny it.
Where did I deny the existence of a slippery slope? There is, even if that legislation is passed and enforced, no meaningful comparison between the UK and the likes of North Korea.

MikeWM

Established Member
No - and I don't propose to waste my time on a group that has been set up with the deliberate purpose of spreading lies and disinformation. You may find The HART Files: Inside the Group Trying to Smuggle Anti-Vaccine Myths into Westminster an educative read; quoting the introduction:

Well, I suppose it is easier than trying to answer their points.

Does anyone else want to try to point out what is wrong with this statement in one of the articles on their website

Because all parts of a virus are involved in a natural infection, there is a higher probability that those people who have acquired immunity will be protected against many future variants of the virus given the percentage similarity in the sequences. Indeed this is supported by the fact that those individuals who carry immunity to other coronaviruses seem to have efficient cross-immunity to SARS-CoV-2 So, while it is true that vaccination and infection both elicit immune responses, the exact nature of this response in each case is very different. An effective immune response depends upon quick recognition of a pathogen, a rapid response and creation of a long-term memory of the infection. The comprehensive recognition of naturally acquired immunity is qualitatively superior and will be more flexible and diverse to cope with future, related viruses.

because it seems to make perfect sense to me.

I'm still not at all clear why we are trying to vaccinate people who have already had the disease - unless to introduce vaccine passports (and leading to a social credit system). Is there any other logical reason for it?

duncanp

Established Member
So raising issues on how lockdowns have played havoc on people’s mental health and financial issues is hysterical is it? Because that’s all the majority of us have done, we’re not Covid deniers, I always suspected that locktavists gave little care about mental health and things aside from Covid.

Did anyone see that documentary on ITV last night about how alcohol abuse and risky drinking has increased significantly during the pandemic?

If you go on to the ITV Hub and search for Tonight - Are You Drinking Too Much?, you will find it.

It tells how vulnerable people had all their support services withdrawn "..due to COVID-19..", which caused them considerable mental health problems.

All those comfortable middle class professors, academics, politicians and SAGE scientists who are calling for "more restrictions" to "protect the NHS" should be made to watch this programme, just to realise the effect of what they are advocating has on real people.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
"Mainstream" would be putting it rather strongly - though I'd agree mass circulation.

Where did I deny the existence of a slippery slope? There is, even if that legislation is passed and enforced, no meaningful comparison between the UK and the likes of North Korea.

Okay so no protesting against the government, DVP’s just to live a normal but that’s okay! It’s all hunky dory! Because we aren’t as bad as North Korea!….yet…..we will be there if this lot in number ten have their way!

bramling

Veteran Member
Did anyone see that documentary on ITV last night about how alcohol abuse and risky drinking has increased significantly during the pandemic?

If you go on to the ITV Hub and search for Tonight - Are You Drinking Too Much?, you will find it.

It tells how vulnerable people had all their support services withdrawn "..due to COVID-19..", which caused them considerable mental health problems.

All those comfortable middle class professors, academics, politicians and SAGE scientists who are calling for "more restrictions" to "protect the NHS" should be made to watch this programme, just to realise the effect of what they are advocating has on real people.

The divide between different parts of the country is stark. When we were in the north-east earlier in the month, you wouldn’t really have known there was anything going on. Likewise in mid-Wales things were also relaxed - surprisingly so, though still with caution but not to the point of being obsessive about it.

Back home in the Home Counties the picture is so depressing. It really is the “I want restrictions for everyone else” mentality. They’re all happy to pile into Costa for a convention on how irresponsible everyone else is, or pile into the swimming pool or restaurant in the evening. As long as work from home continues they don’t give a stuff about anything else.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

I think there’s a fair few people on this forum who need to watch that documentary.

So much has been ignored thanks to Covid.

The thing is, unlike masks no one knows who is vaccinated and who isn’t.

I get sick of the whole “vaccine refuser” stuff. Those who are hesitating on the vaccine have, in my experience, given the matter a *lot* of thought, and have taken the trouble to research and investigate the pros and cons.

Unlike much of the population they’re more likely to be aware of the *actual* Covid mortality stats, rather than the hysterical ones.

Absolutely spot on.

I myself have a personal story about my cousin who took the vaccine, he was an NHS consultant so he to the first jab but ended up in hospital, he won’t take the second jab now and has quit his job, he tells me many of his colleagues have left too or had bad reactions.

But of course they don’t matter, because Vaccine Refusers are such and people of course!

Yes I hate the Orwellian term ‘Vaccine refuser” it’s just a blanket term for those who want to sit on their self made throne of virtue signalling.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I work closely with IT security experts, and of all the things that worry them about data privacy, abuse of the QR codes along the lines you suggest is off the bottom of the scale. If the government wanted to join the dots on ID, there are much better ways than the vaccine passports for achieving that.
If QR codes becomes a requirement for normal life, security experts might want to at least put them on their radar. Because those little pixels are going to become a lot more valuable, especially if vaccine passports are extended to lots of social settings, more so again if boosters even became mandatory in the future.

BTW, Its my experience that security experts are usually the last on the scene of new threats. So I never totally rely on just their thoughts.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
First of all before brand people as “vaccine refusers” you may want read that I have decided to get the jab at some point,
I am very glad you have now decided in the last hour that you will now definitely get vaccinated, as opposed to what you said earlier, which was
I may end up getting the jab
And on 8 March said
I shan’t be taking the vaccine
It is very easy to do and you can walk in today or tomorrow and do it. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...alk-in-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-site/ Let us know how it goes!
go up a few posts and you’ll see it clear as day, there is more to say that you are an authoritarian locktavist
There is not, because I have repeatedly expressed on this forum, and in this thread, my dissatisfaction with the lockdown policy.
than I am a vaccine refuser, I just belipersonal choice
I am glad you have finally chosen to definitely get vaccinated, because I see you agree that vaccines are the route out of the dystopia, in line with your statement on 13 July:
we have the vaccine now! There is literally no excuse to not give us back our 2019 freedoms
And I agree, it should always be a personal choice, as I repeat time and time again in this part of the forum.

you say we have a moral obligation to protect disabled people, that’s true, we also have a moral obligation to protect people’s mental health and those who are in dire situations with their finances, something which many on here don’t care about.
It's almost like it's a balancing act where there is no perfect solution and all of us in society will have to bend one way or another to get through it.

Established Member
It's almost like it's a balancing act where there is no perfect solution and all of us in society will have to bend one way or another to get through it.

It’s almost like its been a crazy overreaction to a non entity of a virus, which has wreaked havoc, ruined untold numbers of lives and plunged us into the deepest recession since WW2…

The population of this country needs to get a grip, and stop cowering….

HST274

Just heard that 95% of covid patients in hospitable have not been immunised, a fairly good sign that the vaccine does help perhaps?

eastdyke

Established Member
Just heard that 95% of covid patients in hospitable have not been immunised, a fairly good sign that the vaccine does help perhaps?
Do you have a source for that please?

As recently as 19th July Sir Patrick Vallance told a news conference that 60% of coronavirus-related hospital admissions were double-jabbed people - but he later corrected himself. He corrected to 60% of people being admitted to hospital with COVID-19 are unvaccinated.

Far be it from me to say that figures are made up on the hoof to suit the narrative - but there is 'previous'.

Sixty percent of people being admitted to hospital with COVID-19 are unvaccinated, the government's chief scientific adviser has said.

Earlier, Sir Patrick Vallance told a news briefing that figure was for double-jabbed people. But he later corrected himself on Twitter, saying the original statistic was false.

He posted: "Correcting a statistic I gave at the press conference today, 19 July.

"About 60% of hospitalisations from COVID are not from double-vaccinated people, rather 60% of hospitalisations from COVID are currently from unvaccinated people."

Speaking at the briefing alongside Boris Johnson - who appeared remotely from Chequers where he is self-isolating - Sir Patrick said hospitalisations could rise to over 1,000 a day.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member

Regardless of how accurate that figure is, I don't think anyone (sensible) is debating that the vaccines do help to reduce the severity of the disease in many/most for some period of time. The questions are:

- How long does that effect last for? (The continual talk of boosters suggests they're not confident it is very long, and the data from Israel looks to be supporting that).

- Is vaccine immunity better than getting immunity naturally for those at low risk from the disease in the first place? (I suspect not, as discussed above)

- Do the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the potential issues for those at low risk? That includes potential long-term effects that we don't know about yet.

- What is the purpose of vaccinating people who have already had the disease?

- Do they prevent people catching it? (Obviously not entirely, else that figure would be 100%).

- Do they prevent people transmitting it? (Again, the data seems to show the answer to that is 'not much, if at all'. I note that even the NHS adverts now say 'by up to half', which is marketing-speak for 'not much').

All of which are very relevant to the subject of 'vaccine passports' and whether they are seriously being considered as a means of infection control or as a means of social control. I think it is pretty clear that it is the latter.

bramling

Veteran Member
Regardless of how accurate that figure is, I don't think anyone (sensible) is debating that the vaccines do help to reduce the severity of the disease in many/most for some period of time. The questions are:

- How long does that effect last for? (The continual talk of boosters suggests they're not confident it is very long, and the data from Israel looks to be supporting that).

- Is vaccine immunity better than getting immunity naturally for those at low risk from the disease in the first place? (I suspect not, as discussed above)

- Do the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the potential issues for those at low risk? That includes potential long-term effects that we don't know about yet.

- Do they prevent people catching it? (Obviously not entirely, else that figure would be 100%).

- Do they prevent people transmitting it? (Again, the data seems to show the answer to that is 'not much, if at all'. I note that even the NHS adverts now say 'by up to half', which is marketing-speak for 'not much').

All of which are very relevant to the subject of 'vaccine passports' and whether they are seriously being considered as a means of infection control or as a means of social control. I think it is pretty clear that it is the latter.

If we’re now saying that vaccinations don’t seem to be doing much to prevent transmission, which does seem to be the current vibe, then what on earth is all the fuss about?

I’m certainaware of a case in my circles where someone was vaccinated, caught Covid (with no symptoms), and passed it on to someone else unvaccinated (not yet eligible at the time) and with underlying issues, who subsequently died. In that specific example from what I gather there doesn’t appear to be any doubt how the Covid was passed on. The only difference from now is that this was first dose only.

So if we’re saying the vaccine doesn’t guarantee to prevent transition, which seems almost certain to be the case, I don’t see why the need for fuss. Apart from as another dose of virtue-signalling of course, just like with masks.

It seems we’re reduced to unvaccinated=dirty and vaccinated=clean. Is this the limit of what the population can comprehend?!

35B

Established Member

The initial reports from Israel were suggesting that, but more detailed analysis seems to be showing that the effects are much less concerning.

As for the other questions, the impact of Covid vaccination is significant for both individuals and the community. While they are not 100% effective, the death and hospitalisation data both show them having a material impact on the severity of illnesses where a patient does catch Covid despite vaccination. Similarly, vaccination induced immunity is thought to be more effective because it is less precise than natural immunity - if I catch Delta, it is not clear how much immunity that gives me to other variants; a vaccine that focuses on the characteristic of Covid itself can be expected to be more effective.

MikeWM

Established Member
The initial reports from Israel were suggesting that, but more detailed analysis seems to be showing that the effects are much less concerning.

Then why are they going hell-for-leather with booster shots? They've started - today.

(Also relevant for 'vaccine passports' - do you need a booster to stay certified? Maybe every 6 months or so? Maybe forever?)

As for the other questions, the impact of Covid vaccination is significant for both individuals and the community. While they are not 100% effective, the death and hospitalisation data both show them having a material impact on the severity of illnesses where a patient does catch Covid despite vaccination.

I agree - which is why it is a sensible idea to be vaccinated if you are particularly vulnerable to Covid and have no other good reasons to not be vaccinated. However, in the end that decision ought to be yours and yours alone. I should be free to make potentially sub-optimal health decisions if I choose.

Similarly, vaccination induced immunity is thought to be more effective because it is less precise than natural immunity - if I catch Delta, it is not clear how much immunity that gives me to other variants; a vaccine that focuses on the characteristic of Covid itself can be expected to be more effective.

I think you've got that the wrong way around - in a natural infection the body will create a full-spectrum immunity based on the entire virus it has seen and fought. The vaccines focus on specific parts of the virus (I believe, in all vaccines so far, that's the 'spike').

Hence for example why people who had SARS-1 had immunity to SARS-2, almost 20 years later - similar viruses but not the same.

35B

Established Member
Then why are they going hell-for-leather with booster shots? They've started - today.

(Also relevant for 'vaccine passports' - do you need a booster to stay certified? Maybe every 6 months or so? Maybe forever?)

I agree - which is why it is a sensible idea to be vaccinated if you are particularly vulnerable to Covid and have no other good reasons to not be vaccinated. However, in the end that decision ought to be yours and yours alone. I should be free to make potentially sub-optimal health decisions if I choose.

I think you've got that the wrong way around - in a natural infection the body will create a full-spectrum immunity based on the entire virus it has seen and fought. The vaccines focus on specific parts of the virus (I believe, in all vaccines so far, that's the 'spike').

Hence for example why people who had SARS-1 had immunity to SARS-2, almost 20 years later - similar viruses but not the same.
There are some interesting questions specifically about Pfizer and Israel's reaction - other regulators are taking a more sceptical stance to Pfizer's position on boosters (which may just have a degree of self interest in it). As for the reactions, I am no medic, but the comments I've seen all suggest that the vaccines work on what is common across the variants, and are believed to be more effective.

Time will tell, but after the past 18 months, I would personally prefer to trust the proven role of vaccines in providing immunity at a very low level of harm. Assuming for argument's sake that the vaccine and naturally acquired immunity are identical in their effect, and taking a pessimistic view of the side effects (CDC report 13 per million under 18s get myocarditis), we see a dramatic difference in harm as between vaccine and natural immunity. 13 per million is 0.0013%, only a proportion of whom will die or suffer life changing consequences; the widely discredited 0.2% death rate from Covid implies 2000 people would die from Covid in that same population of 1 million people - 140 times as many dead as would be affected.

At that order of magnitude of difference between impacts, I both believe that the vaccines are the right answer for individuals and society*, and that it is reasonable for governments considering the public health impacts of this transmissible disease** to look at how they ensure the take-up is high enough to provide protection for the population as a whole.

* - given some of your other comments, I find your espousal of "there is no such thing as society" quite surprising.
** - comparisons have been drawn between the response to Covid and other restrictions related to health. These seem to disregard the way that Covid is a transmissible disease in the way that oft cited factors like obesity or alcohol consumption are not.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The thing is, unlike masks no one knows who is vaccinated and who isn’t.

I get sick of the whole “vaccine refuser” stuff. Those who are hesitating on the vaccine have, in my experience, given the matter a *lot* of thought, and have taken the trouble to research and investigate the pros and cons.

Unlike much of the population they’re more likely to be aware of the *actual* Covid mortality stats, rather than the hysterical ones.
What baffles me is why anyone cares who is vaccinated. If someone has had it and believes that it works then why care if someone else has not had it?

I agree with your second paragraph. I know some people that have not had the vaccine. In some cases I've not actually seen them for years (I keep in touch via Facebook) but I've always considered them to be sensible, thoughtful people.

MikeWM

Established Member
There are some interesting questions specifically about Pfizer and Israel's reaction - other regulators are taking a more sceptical stance to Pfizer's position on boosters (which may just have a degree of self interest in it).

Well, yes to the self-interest [*], but I'm 100% sure there will be a booster rollout here too in the next month or two.

[*] one of the more interesting things about the last 18 months or so is the way that so many of those who, correctly, used to look very sceptically at big pharma, its interests, its issues, and its interesting relationship with the truth - as shown by the vast number of legal settlements and judgements over the years against it - have somehow decided that it is now the best thing ever and our saviours and totally honest and trustworthy.

As for the reactions, I am no medic, but the comments I've seen all suggest that the vaccines work on what is common across the variants, and are believed to be more effective.

Yes, I believe they all work on the 'spike'. It is possible if the spike mutated significantly, the vaccines would no longer work - but the standard immune system would have a better chance, because that's not the only part of the virus it knows.

I still don't understand the 'more effective' part. I suppose during the period that you directly still have antibodies responding to the vaccine - a matter of months - that may well be better at fighting off a new infection quicker than having the period where a naturally-immune person's body notices they have been re-infected and starts production of the antibodies again. But that's all I can see that could possibly be 'more effective' and that is very short-lived.

The question then is whether, after the antibodies have gone a few months after vaccination, the vaccinated person is left in as good a position to make antibodies - and to make the correct neutralising antibodies, as opposed to dangerous non-neutralising antibodies (the cause of ADE) - compared to someone that was naturally infected. There's not much evidence on this so far because the vaccines are still very new.

At that order of magnitude of difference between impacts, I both believe that the vaccines are the right answer for individuals and society*, and that it is reasonable for governments considering the public health impacts of this transmissible disease** to look at how they ensure the take-up is high enough to provide protection for the population as a whole.

I think that depends on what you're mitigating against. I don't believe this disease is remotely serious enough to require the mitigations you suggest. If this was a disease with an IFR of say 10% and we had a very effective vaccine that prevented transmission, I may - reluctantly - support the sort of coercion we're seeing at the moment. But we're not in that position.

* - given some of your other comments, I find your espousal of "there is no such thing as society" quite surprising.

I'm not sure I exactly said that :) I do think there have to be strict boundaries between the state and the individual however, and bodily autonomy is one of the most important to reserve to the individual.

For the same reason, I totally oppose the change made last year to the organ donation laws (that donation is now presumed), despite being on the register myself and strongly supporting organ donation. My body is not the property of the state.

** - comparisons have been drawn between the response to Covid and other restrictions related to health. These seem to disregard the way that Covid is a transmissible disease in the way that oft cited factors like obesity or alcohol consumption are not.

But, whatever other objections I may have about that, this argument doesn't even get out of the starting blocks if the vaccines don't have much effect on transmission, and it increasingly appears that they don't. As I said above, even the NHS now says 'up to half' - ie. actually rather less than half.

Last edited:

HST274

Sorry for lack of source- came from a local radio stations news report, not one owned by the BBC. They said 'a new report has found etc.' They didn't give the name of report so doubt it will convince you, but that is definitely what was said.

bramling

Veteran Member
What baffles me is why anyone cares who is vaccinated. If someone has had it and believes that it works then why care if someone else has not had it?

I agree with your second paragraph. I know some people that have not had the vaccine. In some cases I've not actually seen them for years (I keep in touch via Facebook) but I've always considered them to be sensible, thoughtful people.

Indeed, and it’s a decision which if things go wrong could have profound consequences. You can bet they really have given it a lot of thought.

dosxuk

Established Member
If QR codes becomes a requirement for normal life, security experts might want to at least put them on their radar. Because those little pixels are going to become a lot more valuable, especially if vaccine passports are extended to lots of social settings, more so again if boosters even became mandatory in the future.

BTW, Its my experience that security experts are usually the last on the scene of new threats. So I never totally rely on just their thoughts.

Cryptographically secure tokens to authenticate a piece of data are already a fact of life, in widespread constant use across the planet. This is not a new idea and the security experts are all quite happy with the concept. QR codes themselves have no security concerns, as all they are is a barcode. It's just a handy way of representing a bit of data without having to copy out a whole load of letters and numbers.

It would be trivial to create a secure identifier that can be verified between offline devices to carry a flag that the owner has a valid (and non-spoofed / copied) vaccine certificate, certainly against all but brute force attacks which take decades to carry out. Plus there's absolutely no need to share any personal information in that code - all you want to know is if it's been generated correctly by an authorised piece of software.

If there were obvious issues with using QR codes for authenticating data, then they (and other barcode types), wouldn't have been widely adopted for exactly that purpose. I suspect there's a lot more demand for cracking the aztec codes used on train tickets than there is copying someone's covid certificate. Then there's the barcodes already used for ticketing at events - they wouldn't be in use if it was easy to copy them and get into events for free.

island

Veteran Member
If there were obvious issues with using QR codes for authenticating data, then they (and other barcode types), wouldn't have been widely adopted for exactly that purpose. I suspect there's a lot more demand for cracking the aztec codes used on train tickets than there is copying someone's covid certificate. Then there's the barcodes already used for ticketing at events - they wouldn't be in use if it was easy to copy them and get into events for free.
The barcodes on event tickets are not encoded or authenticated at all, they’re just a serial number looking up to a database. If the code’s scanned twice it’ll reject second time round. And the T&Cs of Ticketmaster (and probably the other agencies) say that where the same ticket is presented twice they reserve the right to eject both presenters and refund the ticket.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
As recently as 6th July the government said:
Having considered a wide range of evidence as part of the review, the Government has concluded that it will not mandate the use of COVID-status certification as a condition of entry for visitors to any setting at the present time
The review has concluded that the Government will not mandate the use of COVID-status certification as a condition of entry for visitors to any setting at the present time. While the review concluded that there would be a public health benefit, the impacts are judged to be disproportionate to the public health benefit at this stage of the pandemic. The Government will continue to keep this under review.

The Government will therefore not mandate certification for venues to reopen from step 4, and any decision to require COVID-status certification will be a discretionary choice for individual organisations to make. However, it is possible that certification could provide a means of keeping events going and businesses open if the country is facing a difficult situation in autumn or winter. Any future implementation would involve consultation and appropriate parliamentary scrutiny.

So what did I miss.

1) the final paragraph refers to 'if the country is facing a difficult situation in autumn or winter'. Are we?
2) the final sentence refers to 'consultation and appropriate parliamentary scrutiny'. Has there been either?

Source:
Covid Status Certification Review Report

PS the bold text is original, not my addition for emphasis.

The House of Commons Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee reported, amongst other things on 12th June:

If a Covid-status certification system is to be introduced, there must be a clear scientific case for its introduction. But while the Government accepted this, we found that the Government failed to make a sufficiently strong scientific case for introducing Covid-status certification in the UK. Further, while the Government could not set out to us the exact locations, events and venues which would be included in a Covid-status certification system, there appears to be no scientific rationale for the places they indicated were under consideration and most likely to be included in that system (nightclubs, large events like football matches, and for international air travel) and those that appear to have already been excluded from inclusion in that system (buses, the Underground or pubs and restaurants). We are concerned that it appears that the Government is making decisions on a largely arbitrary basis as to what locations would be included or exempted, regardless of the scientific evidence

Source:
H of C Select Committee - summary

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
Secondly I think the point about side effects is a good one - Perhaps not so much the more extreme reactions that are thankfully exceptionally rare but even the more common idea of feeling rubbish for a couple of days which when you have a busy life / work etc is not something you may want to volunteer for. I am sure there is stuff that could be done around making sure that employers would never penalize people / offer people the day off just to again remove that element of fear and barrier of potential detriment.
Some unions have managed to get some employers to encourage vaccination by allowing staff who feel unwell after being vaccinated to have up to two days off sick without these being counted towards an employees sick leave record. The employee is paid as normal, but is not recorded as having been sick.
This is advantageous for both the employer and the employee. Less likelihood of the employee getting ill with COVID19 Corona virus, hence less long term disruption to the work.

It should be a choice.
Yes. But it should be an informed choice. People should be encouraged to ask their doctor if they have concerns.

I feel Boris needs to take a less authoritarian approach to such matters, he’s only feeding The conspiracy theorists, the whole reason why there is even an anti vax movement is because of the government trying to make them Mandatory or using coercion.
Keep in mind that some of the anti-vaxx movement is driven by people with financial interests in selling “medicines” or other products that allegedly help against the virus. But where there are no actual scientifically recognised benefits. They need people to believe their misleading advertising and propaganda, and they have found social media to be an effective way to spread their messages.

Add that to some people spreading rumours and half-truths and it’s easy to see why some people are hesitant.

I'm not sure that's going to turn out to be the case, else why are we discussing booster shots in the next few months? Compare those who had SARS-1 still having immunity to SARS-2 after a couple of decades, which is pretty good immunity.
I don’t know about that, but with the vast majority of infections, it’s the bodies immune system that fights off the infection. And each different virus is err, different. Hence it can be misleading to try to compare the long term immunity of each virus.

Of course you may well argue from a comfort point of view that it is better to have a vaccination than the disease, which is most cases will probably turn out to be true! But I have absolutely no idea from a medical point of view why for example we are insisting on vaccinating people who have already had the disease, it makes zero sense.
I don’t know the official medical answer. But one reason may be to ensure that people who think they have had a COVID19 Corona virus infection, but who actually did not have it, still get vaccinated so that they do get (increased) protection.

Another reason may be, to ensure that the bodies immune system is ‘reminded’ to continue to produce antibodies. I don’t know what the current research has found, but there was previously a suspicion that within three to six months, the natural protection by the immune system may wane.

But we're going to hit 90% of adults with one dose, and only a few % points below that for the second - and significantly higher than that in the groups that are actually in danger from the disease. If this was really just about protecting people from a disease then this seems a very good time to say 'that went surprisingly well, time to get on with getting back to normal now.' Instead we see an ever-more-shrill and ever-more-desperate ramping up of propaganda against the small minority that haven't 'done what they were told to do'. Why?
Maybe because governments are concerned that until nearly everyone has some protection from the COVID19 Corona virus, there could be another wave of infections which if really bad would result in another lockdown being needed…

In case you have not noticed, governments generally don’t like lots more money going out than is coming in…

So raising issues on how lockdowns have played havoc on people’s mental health and financial issues is hysterical is it? Because that’s all the majority of us have done, we’re not Covid deniers, I always suspected that locktavists gave little care about mental health and things aside from Covid.
I’m not at all sure that there is any significant number of people who want more lockdowns.

As a key worker who had to continue travelling to the nearest city where I’m based, it was nice not to have to battle the normal city ‘rush hour’ traffic on the roads. But that was the only upside. There were, as you know, lots and lots and lots of downsides. And please don’t get the idea that the lack of traffic is a reason for me wanting another lockdown, because I travel by train more than I drive, and lockdown reduced the number of trains that I could travel on. Hence forcing me to drive…

Mental health issues are a very serious matter. And far too often are not treated properly or properly recognised by society. Mental heath treatment is also under funded (even before anyone had even heard of COVID19).

And yes, poverty is also an important issue. The huge rise in the number of people needing help from food banks is shocking. And again, the situation was not very good before COVID19. Although the government did provide some help, I think there may well have been more that could have been done.

I’m sorry but most of us have a right to be frustrated, all you’ve blathered on about are cases, and you’ve always find excuses as to why it’s too soon to open up, as you say if you agree that @yorkie has a valid point that the vaccination programme is so successful the you should be by now all for opening up, but sure enough you’ll find an excuse as to why Christmas should be cancelled.
I’ve got no problem with opening up. But I do not fully agree with the way that the government implemented the lockdowns, or the way they communicated, or the way they opened up.

I think the lockdowns should have been better policed and with far better and clearer messaging so that the rate of infections would have fallen faster. Then the duration of the lockdowns could have been shorter.

During the lockdowns, there should have been much more and much better educational material available to teach people about viruses and how to learn how to improve how you do things so that you can both protect yourself, your family, friends and other people. The idea being that hopefully this would help limit the infection rate as the restrictions were lifted.

And I think there should have been a better plan for lifting the lockdowns, with the plan well publicised. But without set dates. I would have lifted the restrictions a little each week, with the announcement each Wednesday. If infection rates stayed low, you lift two or more restrictions each week rather than just one.

I don’t think anyone really knows yet. Hence it’s better to be ready with boosters rather than be caught out…

Again, it’s likely to be far too soon for anyone to really know. We do know with some viruses, that the more that the bodies immune system is required to fight off an infection, the more likely it is to be ready to fight should you be exposed again.

Do you actually know of any vaccinations where there have been found to be any significant long term effects? The whole point of a vaccine is to trigger the immune system to attack it. So as I understand it, once your immune system has ramped up enough to ‘defeat’ it, the body will break it down and it will be removed just like any other debris in your blood.

The real concern would be if your bodies immune system overreacted and then started attacking your own body. Have you heard about any such reports?

No. Just like some people who have been infected with COVID19 Corona virus may still be able to be reinfected. But if your immune system has already been primed, it should be more ready, and hence if you do ‘catch it’, it should be a lot milder. And your body should be able to fight it off quicker.

I don’t think there is enough data to have a definite answer. But you can only transmit any significant amount of the virus if it can replicate inside your cells. If your immune system is attacking the virus because it was ready for it, the virus will have a hard time replicating quicker than the immune system is killing it.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A lot of misunderstanding in this thread.

... most aren’t vaccine refusers as you call them, most are weighing up the options ....
...Do the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the potential issues for those at low risk? That includes potential long-term effects that we don't know about yet....
As for weighing up the options, that's fine, but I am unsure what the downside(s) to the vaccines are claimed to be?

Long term effects of a vaccine would become established in the short term; all vaccine experts have stated this. Check out the video I linked to back in March, also see this:

...past experience shows that severe side effects from vaccines most often appear within a time frame of about 6 weeks after vaccination, according to Paul Offit,..
None of the experts have any concerns in this area and we are now up to over 4 billion vaccine doses administered worldwide.

That is not the purpose of the vaccines, but it does massively reduce the chances of getting an infection.

It does not prevent all transmission, but it does dramatically reduce the possibility. But this isn't the main reason to get vaccinated anyway.

I'm not sure where the idea that we're already at herd immunity comes from....
Talk of "herd immunity" is a bit pointless as there is much misunderstanding over what is meant by the term. A strict definition of the term means the virus is eliminated but this is a fallacy; we are headed for endemic equilibrium and that is almost a certainty.

...would require 83% of the population to be immune...
Immunity is not a binary thing and how do we define "immune"?

We don't get sterilising immunity to any Coronavirus; we cannot stop infections; we live with Coronaviruses by developing immunity to them, which protects us against serious illness but does not stop the virus continuing to spread.

I'm not sure that's going to turn out to be the case, else why are we discussing booster shots in the next few months?
Virologists I listen to don't think boosters are going to be needed. I will see if I can get a link and quote to back this up when I get home.

Edit: listen to this podcast, just after the 7minute mark
...no you're not going to need a third jab; [Albert] Bourla is selling the jab that's why he's saying that.
i don't really care what this motivation is; scientifically it's not correct...
The argument seems to be that "waning antbibody" levels is a reason for boosters, but you would expect that to happen and it doesn't matter for long term immunity, as our bodies do not retain high levels of antibodies for all viruses we have immunity against! There is no evidence yet that memory B and T cells decline over time to an extent that the vaccines are rendered ineffective.

Also this argument ignores the huge role T-cells play. From around 08:45 in the above video:
...they're looking at reducing antibody titers and thinking this is a problem but it's not. As Amy said, it's the T cells that protect you...

Compare those who had SARS-1 still having immunity to SARS-2 after a couple of decades, which is pretty good immunity.
Absolutely; the immunity we are aiming for is not sterilising immunity but giving us all the ability to live with SARS-CoV-2 in the same way we get exposed to other human Coronaviruses.

Those who choose not to get vaccinated are still going to get to the same place but it will take longer, they will - on average - be more ill and create more work for the NHS.

An unwise choice on my opinion but it is their right.

See for example
https://www.hartgroup.org/natural-vs-vaccine-immunity/

which makes perfect sense to me. I'd have to see some pretty convincing evidence to persuade me that this was wrong.
I've heard evidence presented that immunity from natural infection is inferior to vaccine induced immunity.

Also you would likely need two infections to be broadly similar to two vaccine shots.

The best immunity will surely be to get vaccinated, then get exposed to the virus and your body will get a natural booster.

Of course you may well argue from a comfort point of view that it is better to have a vaccination than the disease, which is most cases will probably turn out to be true!
Absolutely true, yes.

But I have absolutely no idea from a medical point of view why for example we are insisting on vaccinating people who have already had the disease, it makes zero sense.
They may only really need one shot, to get good immunity, but it does make sense to do this.

Natural infections vary massively in terms of severity and the immune response, and so we cannot be consistently sure that someone who had an infection has developed a good immune response, though of course many people will do.

One dose of the vaccine would act as a booster, and give good long term immunity to someone who already had a natural infection.

There is an argument to say that such people shouldn't need a second shot, but there is no harm in it. If they are particularly fussed about avoiding shots, then the J&J vaccine may be a good option for someone who has already had an infection.

Also bear in mind T-cells are key; someone who has had a natural infection who relieves a dose of the vaccine will get a boost to their T-cell immunity. Without this boost, they are much more likely to have a second natural infection and any such infection would be more likely to have worse symptoms than if they had received a dose of the vaccine.

I can see no good argument to say that someone who has had a natural infection would not benefit from being vaccinated.

But we're going to hit 90% of adults with one dose, and only a few % points below that for the second - and significantly higher than that in the groups that are actually in danger from the disease. If this was really just about protecting people from a disease then this seems a very good time to say 'that went surprisingly well, time to get on with getting back to normal now.'
I completely agree.

Instead we see an ever-more-shrill and ever-more-desperate ramping up of propaganda against the small minority that haven't 'done what they were told to do'. Why?
Because of authoritarianism, basically

I also refer Israel and Iceland and some of the 'blue' states of the USA, which have similar high vaccine uptake to the UK and yet have recently reintroduced restrictions such as masks and/or distancing. I'm really not convinced that high vaccine uptake is being particularly successful at stopping these authoritarians.

In any event, whatever the level of uptake, there appears no logical argument for vaccine passports, as the vaccines do not prevent infection and do not prevent onward transmission. (Compared to the fact that there *is* some logical argument for 'testing passports' - as abhorrent as they would also be, at least they make some tiny degree of sense). See for example

https://www.hartgroup.org/vaccination-prevents-transmission-myth/
Vaccination massively reduces transmission but does not prevent it entirely.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Those who choose not to get vaccinated are still going to get to the same place but it will take longer, they will - on average - be more ill and create more work for the NHS.

An unwise choice on my opinion but it is their right.
Yes it is their right but when they become an unnecessary burden on the NHS at the expense of someone else in need of treatment that's hardly fair and sometimes politicians have to make choices for the greater good - not that they will.

farleigh

Yes it is their right but when they become an unnecessary burden on the NHS at the expense of someone else in need of treatment that's hardly fair and sometimes politicians have to make choices for the greater good - not that they will.
'An unnecessary burden on the NHS'

Who are the unnecessary people?

bramling

Veteran Member

That is a very dodgy road to go down, as the logical conclusion is we all become a potential burden on the NHS just by living. In any case, I pay my share of tax and national insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.