• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vauxhall Corsa in 500 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampshade

Established Member
Thought I'd try my hand at reviewing cars this week - basically I just fancy complaining that I've got chronic backache :lol:

Well this week I reviewed the 1.4 Corsa SE, the latest offering from Vauxhall to compete with the likes of the Ford Fiesta, Fiat Punto and Volkswagen Polo.

Initial signs are promising; the Corsa has lost its inoffensive but somewhat effeminate styling, taking a more aggressive approach such as Ford have done with their new Fiesta. Inside is much the same, the flimsy painted plastics are out and a more premium-class black and silver interior is in.

Luggage space is a big improvement over the previous model, the boot being surprising spacious for what is still a very small car and is better than anything Ford, Fiat or Volkswagen have to offer. Front and rear legroom is also quite generous, although there aren’t many interior cubbyholes for storage, although the dashboard is so large you could stage a small tennis tournament, or a medium sized royal banquet, so there’s always somewhere to put things.

In terms of drivability, the Corsa is competent but certainly not perfect. The gear shift from second to third is very awkward and visibility is atrocious; because you’re sat so low down it is already difficult to see over the dashboard, let alone see where the front of the car is, which leads to some bottom-clenching moments in car parks. That said, the clutch is reasonably light, the steering is direct and the engine has a fair amount of grunt in third gear while still being more economical than the Fiesta.

The interior layout and the switchgear is questionable; whoever thought it would be a good idea to have an indicator stalk that doesn’t click into place is an idiot. Instead of clicking the lever down for left and up for right and it staying in place, it returns to its normal position, removing the ability to cancel the indicator. Another daft addition is the mode select for the trip computer being a toggle switch on the windscreen wiper stalk; I had to resort to the manual to work out where it was. Other features of the interior are rather better thought out, with all the basic radio and climate control buttons being on the centre console where you would expect to find them.

Which brings me on to the seats. I’d never have thought that was even remotely possible for car seats to be as uncomfortable as they are in the Corsa; they make seats in German cars look positively plush and are supposedly ergonomically shaped to improve lumber support, but in reality they have given my entire family backache with the sort of searing pain that is best described as the sort of pain you experience when having acupuncture with knitting needles. My kidneys have been tenderised to the point of mush; for journeys longer than ten or so minutes, you are better off with a pogo stick. There is a place reserved in Hell for the man who designed the seats for the 2011 Corsa.

In conclusion, buy a Fiesta.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
whoever thought it would be a good idea to have an indicator stalk that doesn’t click into place is an idiot. Instead of clicking the lever down for left and up for right and it staying in place, it returns to its normal position, removing the ability to cancel the indicator.

That's nothing new, depending how they're done, there will either be a first notch which you push it to to cancel them, or you just push it again.

Another daft addition is the mode select for the trip computer being a toggle switch on the windscreen wiper stalk; I had to resort to the manual to work out where it was.

Again, nothing new, the Germans have been doing that on some cars since the 90s at least.

Which brings me on to the seats. I’d never have thought that was even remotely possible for car seats to be as uncomfortable as they are in the Corsa; they make seats in German cars look positively plush and are supposedly ergonomically shaped to improve lumber support, but in reality they have given my entire family backache with the sort of searing pain that is best described as the sort of pain you experience when having acupuncture with knitting needles. My kidneys have been tenderised to the point of mush; for journeys longer than ten or so minutes, you are better off with a pogo stick. There is a place reserved in Hell for the man who designed the seats for the 2011 Corsa.

Sounds just like what I've heard about the seats in the Insignia as well.
Mind you, of all the people I've seen talking about Insignias after driving them, I've yet to hear a single positive review.

Minilad

Established Member
Thought I'd try my hand at reviewing cars this week - basically I just fancy complaining that I've got chronic backache :lol:

Well this week I reviewed the 1.4 Corsa SE, the latest offering from Vauxhall to compete with the likes of the Ford Fiesta, Fiat Punto and Volkswagen Polo.

Initial signs are promising; the Corsa has lost its inoffensive but somewhat effeminate styling, taking a more aggressive approach such as Ford have done with their new Fiesta. Inside is much the same, the flimsy painted plastics are out and a more premium-class black and silver interior is in.

Luggage space is a big improvement over the previous model, the boot being surprising spacious for what is still a very small car and is better than anything Ford, Fiat or Volkswagen have to offer. Front and rear legroom is also quite generous, although there aren’t many interior cubbyholes for storage, although the dashboard is so large you could stage a small tennis tournament, or a medium sized royal banquet, so there’s always somewhere to put things.

In terms of drivability, the Corsa is competent but certainly not perfect. The gear shift from second to third is very awkward and visibility is atrocious; because you’re sat so low down it is already difficult to see over the dashboard, let alone see where the front of the car is, which leads to some bottom-clenching moments in car parks. That said, the clutch is reasonably light, the steering is direct and the engine has a fair amount of grunt in third gear while still being more economical than the Fiesta.

The interior layout and the switchgear is questionable; whoever thought it would be a good idea to have an indicator stalk that doesn’t click into place is an idiot. Instead of clicking the lever down for left and up for right and it staying in place, it returns to its normal position, removing the ability to cancel the indicator. Another daft addition is the mode select for the trip computer being a toggle switch on the windscreen wiper stalk; I had to resort to the manual to work out where it was. Other features of the interior are rather better thought out, with all the basic radio and climate control buttons being on the centre console where you would expect to find them.

In conclusion, buy a Fiesta.

You are Jeremy Clarkson and I claim my £5
Now say something controversial :lol:

Yew

Established Member
However because this in on th BBC, and we must be balanced. I have to say that the Seats should be shot.....

richw

Veteran Member
having had a 1.4 Corsa D club model i can say the engine is pretty unrefined, cheap finish, interior doesnt wear well at all!

Nym

Established Member
As does my mother, but she lets me borrow it, Corsa C though, not the new one... (Drove one of them to Bristol, it's horrible!)

LE Greys

Established Member
As does my mother, but she lets me borrow it, Corsa C though, not the new one... (Drove one of them to Bristol, it's horrible!)

My mum's is an 03 reg GLS. She still manages to drive like Sebastian Loeb when he's late for the ferry, though (and she's 58).

Nym

Established Member
My mother isn't far behind that, and is a rather quick driver when it calls.

But she can't make it shift as fast as I can...

LE Greys

Established Member
My mother isn't far behind that, and is a rather quick driver when it calls.

But she can't make it shift as fast as I can...

Come down to the Royston bypass one day and we'll find out. :D

[Not serious for those who might be wondering]

Yew

Established Member
A fair few friends Had corsas, as much as My KA is a girly car, its a lot nicer inside and to drive.

Nym

Established Member
90019 By Endura-E do you mean the old Kent units with injection superglued onto the side ot it?

And fords are very good at handling...

tony_mac

Established Member
I've had Corsas a couple of times as hire cars, and they are ok, but I really can't stand the indicators - having to judge what a 'half-press' on the indicator is to cancel it is a real pain, particularly if you are manouvering through traffic.

One of them never auto-cancelled and I seemed to be constantly battling with it.

But at least they can cope with the M62 summit - unlike the Meriva I had recently!

Nym

Established Member
I've had Corsas a couple of times as hire cars, and they are ok, but I really can't stand the indicators - having to judge what a 'half-press' on the indicator is to cancel it is a real pain, particularly if you are manouvering through traffic.

One of them never auto-cancelled and I seemed to be constantly battling with it.

But at least they can cope with the M62 summit - unlike the Meriva I had recently!

I had a 1.4 twinport out on hire once, hated it, no torque at all (82PS version) and it was electronically limited to it's top speed, (not that I ever took it to 102mph, honest, on the M5 at 1am) add in the indicators issue and seating position, I honestly felt like I was back in a Land Rover, and it's MASSIVE! Seems to have a needlessly long dashboard, the clutch is stupid, brakes had no feel at all, the stereo was horrid, dashboard was fiddley (Compared to a 6N Polo anything is), but I mean not elegant in design like a Mk5 Fiesta, and amasingly, it had less real bootspace than my 6N polo, as does my mum's corsa C, although that isn't as bad. And don't get me started on the power steering that has variable electronic response that makes you crash when trying to change lanes on the motorway...

I believe so, they used them in Kas until 2002, when they changed to the Duratec.

It was indeed, although I would have loved it if they dropped a 1.8 Zetec Injection into the Ka, 140 brake and very revvey, and the chassis could take that much power provided you put slightly fatter tyres on it.

starrymarkb

Established Member
My mum has a 2002 Corsa Easytronic - I don't like the gearbox.

My 05 Astra has the weird indicator stalks/wipers - took at bit of getting used to - I believe they are fly-by-wire (as are the Heater controls and throttle), the wiper isn't so bad as they are Automatic once clicked on but it took a while to get used to pushing instead of pulling the light stalk to dip the beam.

The Astra Seats were very uncomfortable to begin with, then I found the lumbar support knob and once adjusted it's fine - after a 6 hour drive I didn't have a sore bum (unlike the Polo I owned before the Astra)

Yew

Established Member
Endura-E or Duratec?

Its a w-plate KA Collection, So I think its the Endura-E. It gives a nice amount of power for that car, makes it nippy in towns, but handles motorway speeds fine too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
the Sport Ka has a 1.6. I guess it would be the small focus engine (you wouldnt really want anything smaller than that in a focus if you where loading it up often)

The best riding vehicle (apart from a rolls royce I went in once) would be my Dads Citroen Dispatch Van, Full of fire extinguishers. That thing rides like a MK3

Established Member
Its a w-plate KA Collection, So I think its the Endura-E. It gives a nice amount of power for that car, makes it nippy in towns, but handles motorway speeds fine too.

Yeah, it's an Endura.
Personally, I prefer the Duratec, because it's a more refined engine (and it has 70bhp to the Endura's 60 :lol:).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
the Sport Ka has a 1.6. I guess it would be the small focus engine (you wouldnt really want anything smaller than that in a focus if you where loading it up often)

The SportKa has the 95bhp 1.6 Duratec.

Status
Not open for further replies.