• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Verifying details of singles and returns loaded onto an ITSO card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
I am mindful of advice elsewhere always to check the details of tickets to be sure they are valid for the intended travel. But what of singles and returns loaded onto ITSO cards ? Today I used a ticket office to buy an off peak return on The Key. I got no record human-readable record of the ticket sold. People sometimes make mistakes. Technology is not infallible.

I see there are phone apps to read ITSO cards, but they require NFC, which my phone does not have. Is there any other way to check what has actually been loaded onto a card ?

As before, I am not seeking to start another discussion on the relative merits of the various ticketing options.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
Is there any other way to check what has actually been loaded onto a card ?
Some TVMs might be able to tell you, depends which area you’re in.

Any ticketing staff will be able to, whether they’ll be willing is another issue.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
LNER TVMs can do this. I suspect there are others that can do so as well.

BenS123

SWR TVMs can (definitely outside of London, maybe inside London), there's a reader attached to the right hand side of the screen. Because it looks like an add on I can't say for certain if this would apply to all Scheidt and Bachmann TVMs.

In addition, SWR gateline staff have an app on their work phones that lets them read (and possibly modify?) smartcards. It's slightly different to the public smartcard reader app.

Edit: I'm not sure about SWR TVMs in the London area

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
I am mindful of advice elsewhere always to check the details of tickets to be sure they are valid for the intended travel. But what of singles and returns loaded onto ITSO cards ? Today I used a ticket office to buy an off peak return on The Key. I got no record human-readable record of the ticket sold. People sometimes make mistakes. Technology is not infallible.

I see there are phone apps to read ITSO cards, but they require NFC, which my phone does not have. Is there any other way to check what has actually been loaded onto a card ?

As before, I am not seeking to start another discussion on the relative merits of the various ticketing options.
Most TVMs from heavily ITSO-enabled TOCs will support it, except in Oyster areas (e.g., even GTR TVMs at Gatwick only support Oyster, but I'm sure there are some exceptions).

You can download the Smart Ticket Checker app from Ecebs on iOS and Android, which lets you scan any ITSO smartcard to see its contents. I see GTR staff using this very regularly.

Ediswan

Established Member
LNER TVMs can do this. I suspect there are others that can do so as well.
TVMs can do many things :) Does anybody know how to persuade those at Stevenage to display the contents of an ITSO card. Do you just scan the card ? Is it one of the menu options ?

For background, I have been in the habit of checking tickets since the mid 1980s when I was sold a ticket with a railcard discount I had not asked for.

Haywain

Veteran Member
TVMs can do many things :) Does anybody know how to persuade those at Stevenage to display the contents of an ITSO card. Do you just scan the card ? Is it one of the menu options ?

For background, I have been in the habit of checking tickets since the mid 1980s when I was sold a ticket with a railcard discount I had not asked for.
The TVMs at Stevenage are not LNER machines.

Alex365Dash

If the ones at Stevenage are the usual GTR machines, you should just be able to tap your card on the reader and it'll come up with a list of loaded tickets automatically.

Ediswan

Established Member
If the ones at Stevenage are the usual GTR machines, you should just be able to tap your card on the reader and it'll come up with a list of loaded tickets automatically.
Thanks. I will try that when the opportunity next arises.

I did have a good look at the Stevenage TVMs. There is a yellow card reader, but I did not spot any mention of The Key or ITSO in either the printed text or the top level menu.

FenMan

Established Member

I can confirm in GWR territory that (at an unmanned station without gatelines) touching a smartcard against the yellow reader on a TVM brings up the ticket details on the screen.

I've only just got a smartcard and am experimenting with it - buying normal single and return day tickets - so have no idea if a "touch" has been registered in the cloud somewhere, or I'm merely being shown details of the ticket that I've bought.

I suspect the latter.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I can confirm in GWR territory that (at an unmanned station without gatelines) touching a smartcard against the yellow reader on a TVM brings up the ticket details on the screen.

I've only just got a smartcard and am experimenting with it - buying normal single and return day tickets - so have no idea if a "touch" has been registered in the cloud somewhere, or I'm merely being shown details of the ticket that I've bought.
There are a couple of industry systems that will show your touches but TVMs will only show you wat is actually on the card.

paul1609

Established Member
Thanks. I will try that when the opportunity next arises.

I did have a good look at the Stevenage TVMs. There is a yellow card reader, but I did not spot any mention of The Key or ITSO in either the printed text or the top level menu.
If its the same as the GTR ones down here on Marshlink its the top left hand "button" on the first screen.

MrJeeves

Established Member
If its the same as the GTR ones down here on Marshlink its the top left hand "button" on the first screen.
Ah I don't mean the dedicated tablets. Often I see GTR staff with it on their phones as it's more convenient than having to take out the tablet all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.