• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very special train on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
Forget the royal train, forget charters, forget the tractors that may be going to Weymouth and forget diversions.
On Saturday morning a train will arrive at London Liverpool St with 22 exceptional passengers on board. I don't know what the traction shall be, but it doesn't really matter. To explain properly I must whisk you back SEVENTY YEARS.......
In December 1938, 29 year old Nicholas Winton was packing for a skiing holiday is Switzerland. His companion urged him to come to Czechoslovakia instead. Adolf Hitlers forces had occupied the country's Sudetenland and refugees were living in appalling conditions.
Winton immediately started raising money and organising trains to save the children and when he returned to Britain began finding families and homes and sorting out visas, all whilst continuing his day job in London. Word of this plan spread through Prague and on his return to the makeshift office in a hotel, long queues formed outside of desperate parents. Between March and August 1939 eight Winton trains carried 669 children - mostly Jewish - to safety in Britain. Seventy years on, 22 of these children have once more departed Prague by steam train bound for Britain. More remarkable still, Sir Nicholas Winton, aged 100, intends to meet the train upon arrival at London.
Who can imagine the horror that befell the parents of those 669 children all those years ago? I intend being there, to show my thanks that people of our world will never surrender, and always champion the causes of others. Above all, I wish to glimpse someone who is the very definition of decent.
With thanks to The Independent for words and facts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Forget the royal train, forget charters, forget the tractors that may be going to Weymouth and forget diversions.
On Saturday morning a train will arrive at London Liverpool St with 22 exceptional passengers on board. I don't know what the traction shall be, but it doesn't really matter. To explain properly I must whisk you back SEVENTY YEARS.......
In December 1938, 29 year old Nicholas Winton was packing for a skiing holiday is Switzerland. His companion urged him to come to Czechoslovakia instead. Adolf Hitlers forces had occupied the country's Sudetenland and refugees were living in appalling conditions.
Winton immediately started raising money and organising trains to save the children and when he returned to Britain began finding families and homes and sorting out visas, all whilst continuing his day job in London. Word of this plan spread through Prague and on his return to the makeshift office in a hotel, long queues formed outside of desperate parents. Between March and August 1939 eight Winton trains carried 669 children - mostly Jewish - to safety in Britain. Seventy years on, 22 of these children have once more departed Prague by steam train bound for Britain. More remarkable still, Sir Nicholas Winton, aged 100, intends to meet the train upon arrival at London.
Who can imagine the horror that befell the parents of those 669 children all those years ago? I intend being there, to show my thanks that people of our world will never surrender, and always champion the causes of others. Above all, I wish to glimpse someone who is the very definition of decent.
With thanks to The Independent for words and facts.

Im guessing that this momentous effort to preserve lives is the reason for the children statue outside the station.

Established Member
Any ideas on times? may head out to fot it at Liverpool st may get it somewhere else if I cant make it

Last edited:

The Snap

Established Member
I'm guessing the train will travel from Prague, via Germany and France (or Belgium), to the Channel? Obviously in 1938 there was no Channel Tunnel, so will the passenger go by boat to keep it realistic, or are they going by Eurostar? Also, where is Tornado picking them up from?

Wouldn't it be fantastic if the entire journey could be done in one, on one train? :D Such a shame it can't! :|

EDIT:

Having been on Tornado's website, I see it is starting from Harwich. Hence, I've reconsidered my route (above)! :lol:. I assume it's travelling north through Germany and then west into Holland, before passengers will board a ferry to Harwich?

Last edited:

CCF23

Having been on Tornado's website, I see it is starting from Harwich. Hence, I've reconsidered my route (above)! :lol:. I assume it's travelling north through Germany and then west into Holland, before passengers will board a ferry to Harwich?

Yes the train passes through Germany and into Holland where the passengers will board a ferry at Hook of Holland crossing to Harwich where A1 Tornado will take them on the final leg of the journey down the Great Eastern and into London Liverpool Street.

D841

As mentioned elsewhere:

BBC News channel are broadcasting a programme about the Winton Train on Sunday morning 6th September at 03.30hrs. Presumably their cameras are accompanying the passengers across Europe?

mumrar

Established Member
Just to confirm the dates, the Independent got it wrong. It's tomorrow that the train arrives at London, the platform will be sealed for the media, and I can't get inside as a freelance, so may just shoot the train running somewhere instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.