• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Veterans Railcard - can passengers be confident they're sold the cheapest fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Williams

Established Member
I've been testing this railcard recently with 2 adults, 1 child. I'd expect the child to receive 60% discount, the adults to both receive 34% off. Looking at SDS, Leamington Spa - Coventry Arena.

This seems to be .. variably handled across accredited booking sites.

Assertis ("Railsmartr") - fail, not offered in the list
Illustration of missing railcard in list

Trainline - Pass, works correctly, but naturally slaps an 80p booking fee on top

1658742433712.png

GWR - Fail, tries to persuade me to apply Groupsave instead (more expensive than my desired fare), then fails to apply railcard discount properly to the second adult or the child if I choose not to. Pax overcharged between £4-5??

GWR options, including two more expensive choices
Passengers overcharged

LNER - Pass, correctly calculates fare

LNER fare calculation is correct

Avanti/PICO4UK - Fail, doesn't apply discount to companion and child. Describes the fare breakdown as a "breakup" :lol:

Screenshot: Avanti overcharging by not applying the railcard correctly

TrainSplit - Pass, calculates fare prices correctly

Tickets list on TrainSplit with correct pricing details

Southen (GTR/OTR) - Pass, calculates fare prices correctly

GTR's site charges correct fare

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
The set-up of this railcard is a mess, and is the subject of some discussion in RDG. The problem is that there is no clear distinction between a railcard issued for one adult and a railcard issued for two adults. In the circumstances, right and wrong answers are not necessarily obvious or correctly identified.

plymothian

GWR and Avanti you have to quantify how many are travelling on a railcard.
Adding Veterans and then you say 2 adults and 1 child are using it gives the correct price.

Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
GWR and Avanti you have to qualify how many are travelling on a railcard.
Adding Veterans and then you say 2 adults and 1 child are using it gives the correct price.
You're right, I'm not a fan of this - if the one Railcard is valid for the passengers that the customer has said are travelling together, it feels like the best default from a usability perspective should be apply it to all of them unless the user indicates a preference otherwise.

Interestingly on GWR's site on mobile, but not desktop, it then displays a GroupSave badge above the non-GroupSave fare. I guess it's trying to say it's an option for the journey but it would be a foolish one to select.

Screenshot_20220725-111833.png

On Avanti's site, it'll let you specify "0 adults and 0 children" to apply the railcard to which doesn't apply it to all passengers (seemingly just one of them) - which is what I did initially! Following a few attempts where I tried and repeatedly failed to apply it to my search, it seems quite flaky, I did eventually get it to display the correct fare.

1658744637552.png

Haywain

Veteran Member
- if the one Railcard is valid for the passengers that the customer has said are travelling together, it feels like the best default from a usability perspective should be apply it to all of them unless the user indicates a preference otherwise
The problem with the correct result (LNER, for example) is that ir could be wrong if the railcard is for one adult.

Adam Williams

Established Member
The problem with the correct result (LNER, for example) is that ir could be wrong if the railcard is for one adult
I think ideally you need to mandate that the TIS asks the user to confirm if the second adult is the named companion or not

Status
Not open for further replies.