• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video 125 Driver Eye Views - Changes since they were filmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Hi Folks,

Just for a bit of fun really, but can anyone think of any changes that have happened (either infrastructure or rolling stock wise) since a particular drivers eye view was filmed:

I'll start off:

Title: The Down Fishguard.
Route: Swindon - Fishguard Harbour via the GWML.
Year Filmed: 2002.

Changes Since Filming:

• Great Western Mainline electrification from Paddington to Cardiff. (2018-2020).
  • HST's replaced by IET's. (2019).
  • Track Layout at Severn Tunnel Junction changed. (2010).
  • Llanharan Station reopened. (2007).
  • Line between Swansea and Llanelli redoubled, with new viaduct over the Loughor River. (2013).
  • Station at Fishguard & Goodwick reopened (along with increase of services). (2012).
  • Passing Loop removed at Fishguard Harbour. (2013??).

Don't think I've forgotten anything, although of note as well, even though as you're arriving at Fishguard Harbour, the MS Stena Europe is seen in the berth (the same ship still plies the route today), it's predecessor; Koningin Beatrix is shown in some clips departing the port.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
So much has changed since many of these films were made especially those from the 80s.
For my twopenneth I'll throw in HST West (Exeter-Plymouth 1986)
▪ Exeter Resignalling.
▪ Opening of Ivybridge station.
▪ First stage of sea wall rebuilding at Dawlish.
▪ Atmospheric Railway museum closed.
▪ Remains of Nrwton Abbot depot demolished and redeveloped.The same with the wagonworks.
▪ SDR no longer running into Totnes mainline station.
▪ DMUs,XC loco hauled all gone.
▪ The narrator Anton Rogers passed away in 2007.

james60059

I remember that ship from the Harwich to Hook of Holland route; did it really end up running from Fishguard?

It did indeed, it succeeded the Stena Felicity in about 1999, and plied the route until 2002, when the MS Stena Europe took over. I was on it a fair few times too, fine ship but I think may have been too big for the Fishguard - Rosslare route.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
So much has changed since many of these films were made especially those from the 80s.
For my twopenneth I'll throw in HST West (Exeter-Plymouth 1986)
▪ Exeter Resignalling.
▪ Opening of Ivybridge station.
▪ First stage of sea wall rebuilding at Dawlish.
▪ Atmospheric Railway museum closed.
▪ Remains of Nrwton Abbot depot demolished and redeveloped.The same with the wagonworks.
▪ SDR no longer running into Totnes mainline station.
▪ DMUs,XC loco hauled all gone.
▪ The narrator Anton Rogers passed away in 2007.

Higher speeds too, it was 90 max Exeter St Thomas to Starcross then, it's now 100 max. Similarly the 90 section between Teignmouth and Newton Abbot was 85 back then.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not a different railway but a very different scene - the first two Irish DEVs, Rosslare-Dublin and Dublin-Sligo both filmed in the days when all InterCity services were loco-hauled and in the case of the former when even many local services were loco-hauled.

Completely changed scene now if course with only limited loco-haulage all concentrated on Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast.

pdeaves

Established Member
Hi Folks,

Just for a bit of fun really, but can anyone think of any changes that have happened (either infrastructure or rolling stock wise) since a particular drivers eye view was filmed:

I'll start off:

Title: The Down Fishguard.
Route: Swindon - Fishguard Harbour via the GWML.
Year Filmed: 2002.

Don't think I've forgotten anything, although of note as well, even though as you're arriving at Fishguard Harbour, the MS Stena Europe is seen in the berth (the same ship still plies the route today), it's predecessor; Koningin Beatrix is shown in some clips departing the port.
Right at the start, Swindon platform 4 built.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not a different railway but a very different scene - the first two Irish DEVs, Rosslare-Dublin and Dublin-Sligo both filmed in the days when all InterCity services were loco-hauled and in the case of the former when even many local services were loco-hauled.

Completely changed scene now if course with only limited loco-haulage all concentrated on Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast.

Rosslare-Dublin was also a sea of semaphores at the time of filming. Plus Rosslare Europort station prior to its relocation.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Rosslare-Dublin was also a sea of semaphores at the time of filming. Plus Rosslare Europort station prior to its relocation.

So were a number of the "mainlines" then, now they are largely contained within a dwindling few locations - the Nenagh branch is I think one of the most significant sections remaining.

SteveyBee131

Wow, this is set to be an interesting thread!

TransPennine Express, Manchester Piccadilly to York (2000 I think):
  • Replacement of 158s with 185s (and the Nova revolution since)
  • Complete change of route used by many services including the one featured, now operating via Victoria and Ashton-under-Lyne instead of Ashburys and Guide Bridge
  • Leeds Station rebuilding/remodelling
  • Extension of the service featured from Middlesborough to Redcar (though only filmed as far as York)
I'm sure there are more I can't think of at present, feel free to fill in the gaps!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Wow, this is set to be an interesting thread!

TransPennine Express, Manchester Piccadilly to York (2000 I think):
  • Replacement of 158s with 185s (and the Nova revolution since)
  • Complete change of route used by many services including the one featured, now operating via Victoria and Ashton-under-Lyne instead of Ashburys and Guide Bridge
  • Leeds Station rebuilding/remodelling
  • Extension of the service featured from Middlesborough to Redcar (though only filmed as far as York)
I'm sure there are more I can't think of at present, feel free to fill in the gaps!

Add Stalybridge remodelling, plus the TPE depot at Ardwick.

It would also have passed under the M60 near Guide Bridge before it was opened in December 2000.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
East London & District (2005) - The East London Line is no longer part of the London Underground, having been converted into a mainline railway! The District has also lost its D Stock.

North London Line (2006) - Silverlink no longer exist, the Stratford to North Woolwich stretch is now the Docklands Light Railway, the guards are gone and 313s replaced by Electrostars. The Stratford area in particular also changed a lot for the Olympics.

abn444

"Lickey Voyager" (2005):
  • Currently arriva cross country (no longer Virgin)
  • Filton 4-tracking
  • Wires around Bristol parkway
  • Extra platforms at Bristol parkway
  • Resited Bromsgrove station
  • Wires up the Lickey incline
  • Redevolped Birmingham New Street station
  • Different XC service pattern
  • HSTs back on some XC services

I'm sure there might be others that I've missed

SteveyBee131

"Lickey Voyager" (2005):
  • Currently arriva cross country (no longer Virgin)
  • Filton 4-tracking
  • Wires around Bristol parkway
  • Extra platforms at Bristol parkway
  • Resited Bromsgrove station
  • Wires up the Lickey incline
  • Redevolped Birmingham New Street station
  • Different XC service pattern
  • HSTs back on some XC services

I'm sure there might be others that I've missed
Also Derby extra platform and resignalling

Revilo

Cornish Branches (1991)