• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vintage London Transport Single Decker

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
I saw a vintage green London Transport single decker parked outside The Grand Hotel in York on 21/06/23. Does anyone know anything about it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As a bookseller, I was once asked ''do you remember a book with a pink cover and had a bit about Cornwall in it you had when I was last in here ten years ago?'' He seemed surprised when I answered in the negative. A photo or reg number would almost certainly identify the vehicle, or its type at least, to quite a few on here, but in the absence of that....

greyman42

Established Member
As a bookseller, I was once asked ''do you remember a book with a pink cover and had a bit about Cornwall in it you had when I was last in here ten years ago?'' He seemed surprised when I answered in the negative. A photo or reg number would almost certainly identify the vehicle, or its type at least, to quite a few on here, but in the absence of that....
Yes, it was a bit of a shot in the dark but i was hoping someone else might have seen it.
It did look fairly old so i was thinking there would not be many left that are roadworthy but i am no expert on buses.

borage

The location and colour help to narrow it down. It's likely that it was from a local operator. A stab in the dark: is it possible that it was York Pullman's 1959 Roe-bodied Leyland Titan PD3 – a green half-cab bus that looks Routemaster-ish from a distance and is often in York? [Edit: oops, sorry, clearly I didn't read the original post properly – somehow I read "single decker" as "Routemaster". Ignore me.]

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The location and colour help to narrow it down. It's likely that it was from a local operator. A stab in the dark: is it possible that it was York Pullman's 1959 Roe-bodied Leyland Titan PD3 – a green half-cab bus that looks Routemaster-ish from a distance and is often in York?
The OP said that it was a single decker, so it's not likely to be a Titan.*

* Unless it has been through the bridge-renovation process :)

greyman42

Established Member
It had L.T. on the front grill and the destination indicator was Amersham Garage L.T.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was most likely an AEC Regal RF class: if it looked something like the icon above it's all but certain. There are very many in preservation, including in LT country area or Green Line livery. They date from the early 1950s and the very last one made it in service into the 1980s!

greyman42

Established Member
It was most likely an AEC Regal RF class: if it looked something like the icon above it's all but certain. There are very many in preservation, including in LT country area or Green Line livery. They date from the early 1950s and the very last one made it in service into the 1980s!
I looked at a picture of one of them and it was a fair bit older than one of them.

Non Multi

The front engined Country buses that appear at the Amersham running day are usually MXX 302 - GS type and HLX 462 - AEC Regal III/Mann Egerton.

Hullian111

It's a product of The Revisist! It's ex-London Transport (Country Area? I don't know the specifics) T972, an AEC Regal with Mann Egertonon bodywork registered HLX 462.

See the link below, embed isn't playing nice again; it was on reveal from being painted in Country Area green and being driven about for photographs by The Revisist.

Strathclyder

Established Member
It's a product of The Revisist! It's ex-London Transport (Country Area? I don't know the specifics) T972, an AEC Regal with Mann Egertonon bodywork registered HLX 462.
Yep, it's a County Area machine, new July 1948. Part of the last batch of Regal IIIs new to the Country Area prior to the arrival of the RF/Regal IV.

More info at countrybus (Ian's Bus Stop) here: http://www.countrybus.org/T-regal/T10.htm

greyman42

Established Member

See the link below, embed isn't playing nice again; it was on reveal from being painted in Country Area green and being driven about for photographs by The Revisist.
Thanks for that. We got to the bottom of it in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.