• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin class 390 doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

350yes

Hi there I was just wondering if anyone knows why when the 390's when they were with Virgin why they changed the doors from black and white stipes to grey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I believe it was to comply with the relevant disability legislation - the striped doors didn’t provide enough contrast against the silver/grey colour of the body, so they reliveried the doors to dark grey to increase the contrast and comply with the legislation.

Established Member
Morelike a branding decision....
Under Virgin, you arrived awesome.
Under FirstGroup, you generally don't arrive.

Carlisle

Established Member
Morelike a branding decision....
Under Virgin, you arrived awesome.
Under FirstGroup, you generally don't arrive.
I’d say @Huntergreed is correct given the ‘arrive awesome’ slogan didn’t materialise until a couple of years before they lost the franchise.

MaidaVale

I believe it was to comply with the relevant disability legislation - the striped doors didn’t provide enough contrast against the silver/grey colour of the body, so they reliveried the doors to dark grey to increase the contrast and comply with the legislation.

I would have initially thought so too, Until remembering that the Voyagers kept their striped doors until many years later.

JaJaWa

Established Member
I believe these were copied from a European operator that also striped their doors… although said operator did it for the non-public doors

Status
Not open for further replies.