• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vision Express glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart81

Has anyone had issues with the arm of their glasses just coming away (not snapping, the actual join just failing?)

I've just had the 3rd set fail in 2 years - 2 different types of glasses as well.

Stuart
<(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My wife has, plus lenses falling out.

She goes to Specsavers now ( which is the one I use ). Neither of us have ever had any problems there.

Established Member
I agree with Peter regarding Specsavers. I bought a pair for £25 (I don't like spending more than I have to for glasses) from Specsavers at least a couple of years ago now and they've been fantastic, never had any issues with them at all. I might get myself a new pair of glasses this year though and keep my current pair as a spare. That reminds me, I must get around to booking an eye test!

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I get mine from Glasses Direct and have just ordered two pairs for £19 including postage - thanks MSE for the tip off.

Thats two pairs from their £55 range for £19 !!!

I find it unbelievable that I used to pay hundreds for glasses decades ago.

Just get you eyes tested (free up here) ask for your prescription and bob's your uncle :p

At that price they are almost disposable !!!

crehld

Established Member
My wife has, plus lenses falling out.

She goes to Specsavers now ( which is the one I use ). Neither of us have ever had any problems there.

+1 for Specsavers. Occasionally the arm becomes a little loose, but a quick unannounced visit to the shop and they they tighten the screws and, if necessary, adjust the arms and frame accordingly. Excellent service every time!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I get mine from Glasses Direct and have just ordered two pairs for £19 including postage - thanks MSE for the tip off.

Thats two pairs from their £55 range for £19 !!!

I find it unbelievable that I used to pay hundreds for glasses decades ago.

Just get you eyes tested (free up here) ask for your prescription and bob's your uncle :p

Cheap skate. :p

That said, I use them as one of my suppliers. I have found the quality of their frames to be a little variable, but after sales service has always been good and like you say, at that price they are almost disposable so no great loss should it break after a year or so.

+1 for Specsavers. Occasionally the arm becomes a little loose, but a quick unannounced visit to the shop and they they tighten the screws and, if necessary, adjust the arms and frame accordingly. Excellent service every time!

Glasses Direct sent me a few sets of tools a couple of years back so I tighten them up at home myself a couple of times a year.

TheEdge

Established Member
I spend a decent amount at Specsavers when needed and be done with it. Infact my glasses are the only thing I tend to care about looks wise.

They really impressed me a few weeks back. Due to an incident that most definitely did not involve shots and a door I found my glasses broken and my spare pair badly bent. Went into Specsavers at 11.30, glasses declared dead at 11.37, booked an eye test at 11.40, had the eye test at 11.45. Frames chosen by 12.00. Two new pairs of glasses made and in hand by 14.00!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

A far more realistic price, indeed. With more of this I think we will see increases in the price of eye tests to be profitable in their own right - up until now the high price of glasses provided a hidden subsidy.

This would be much better as people can then more effectively choose each on an independent basis, e.g. get a sight test from an independent optician but buy glasses online.

Butts

Veteran Member
A far more realistic price, indeed. With more of this I think we will see increases in the price of eye tests to be profitable in their own right - up until now the high price of glasses provided a hidden subsidy.

This would be much better as people can then more effectively choose each on an independent basis, e.g. get a sight test from an independent optician but buy glasses online.

Not in Scotland they are free for everyone :p

Status
Not open for further replies.