• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting EVERY National Rail station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto95

Ok, I'm mad, I know that much but I am currently trying to visit every single station on the National Rail system. By Visit every station I mean get a train either to or from every station, just passing through doesn't count and I won't accept it as a completed station.

Lets give some background to me and why it is I want to do this.
-I'm 19 and I'm autistic, I have a love of trains, timetables, stations, travelling and logical planning of things.
So someone once asked me how many stations I have visited in my life, so an hour and 1/2 later I got off the phone with my mother having compiled a list of all 40 stations (now risen to 45) and told my friend. They then stupidly asked how many I would like to visit.
This lead me to wanting to visit all of them. Now there are people who have driven to every station, or ridden a train through every station but never got on/off at them. So I decided to give it a go!!
-According to my records off the National Rail website there are 2533 stations in the UK (Not counting London Underground, or similar inter-city systems and trams/metros).

So there we go, I spend many many an hour sitting with timetables and maps trying to work out the best and most logical way of travelling round each and every station.
Its not easy and I know it will in some places involve long waits on the platform for the next train of the day to come and pick me up (I may bend my rules here and allow myself to hop off the train, get a photo and then straight back on again!!)

Some of my trips to stations will be because I am heading to a particular place and therefore will get the train over a coach or car (i.e. I'm off to Derby in a few weeks time so that'll be just 1 new station that day) where as others will be days when I'll just be travelling for the fun off it, such as the day when I plan to do 21 stations round Birmingham (+ Great Malvern on my way home!)

So there we go, my plan of action... I'll be updating here every time I get a new station to my list, and below is my current list of completed stations.

Banbury, Bath Spa, Birmingham International, Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham New Street, Birmingham Snow Hill, Brighton, Bristol Temple Meads, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff Central, Cardiff Queen Street, Chirk, Clapham Junction, Coventry, Didcot Parkway, Dorridge, Eastbourne, Ebbw Vale Parkway, Evesham, Exeter Central, Exeter St. David's, Lancaster, Leamington Spa, Ledbury, Lisvane and Thornhill, Liverpool Central, Marylebone, Moreton-In-Marsh, Newport (Gwent), Oxenholme Lake District, Oxford, Pershore, Reading, Rugby, Shrewsbury, Solihull, Stoke-On-Trent, Swindon, Tiverton Parkway, University, Warwick, Warwick Parkway, Waterloo, Windermere, Worcester Shrub Hill,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
It would appear that you have done some easy ones.
The difficult ones are stations such as Reddish South, Denton, Shippea Hill, Pilning. Shipton, Ascott-under-Wychwood, Teeside Airport, Eccles Road, Harling Road.
For peace and quiet then look forward to long waits between trains at remote stations such as Berney Arms, Dovey Junction, Altnabreac and Doleham

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You've set yourself a very challenging mission there, it will no doubt take you most of a lifetime to achieve! I can vouch for that, as I've been into the railway at enthusiast level since autumn 2003. I'm still a long way from visiting every station in the UK, and I'm a lot closer to doing that than you are!

As has already been said, you'll have a challenging time with some stations. Lakenheath in Norfolk is one example, it receiving calls from trains on the Norwich to Lowestoft line only on Sundays IIRC. Most of the stations between Ely and Norwich have limited calls too. Then there's the Far North line stations in Scotland. As far as Tain IIRC you have more trains for commuters but beyond there it's a handful of trains a day.

I'm on a mission to visit every station, including those on light rail and preserved railways. I haven't got separate counts for NR, preserved and light rail stations (yet), but I'm on over 1,700 with a LOT more to go!

EDIT: 1,721 stations from all of NR, light rail and preserved stations done. 1,466 left to go! So that gives you an idea of how challenging it all gets!

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
You have set yourself a major challenge. Harking from North Wales the Blaenau Ffestinog branch might take you a while, likewise the Cambrian and Heart of Wales. Good luck!

Gathursty

Established Member
Have fun! As I found out when I undertook the same journey you did, you find out a lot more about the country and yourself.

Highlights will be unparalleled solitude in Altnabreac, the view to Skye at Kyle of Lochalsh, Ryde Pier Head, Edinburgh Waverley, the view over the Thames at Blackfriars, St Pancras International and many more besides.

My count is 2545 including Pye Corner going off my photo albums. I will double check but it could be slight issues with Barlaston, Wedgwood, Norton Bridge, Sampford Courtenay and Okehampton and a couple of others that may or may not be on NRE's lists.

Bevan Price

Established Member
At stations with sparse / irregular services, I think that you will need to consider leaving some stations by bus, or walking. For example, ride the train from Stockport to Reddish South, then get a bus back to Stockport. Similarly, train to Denton, then bus into Manchester (or Hyde).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
slight issues with Barlaston, Wedgwood, Norton Bridge, Sampford Courtenay and Okehampton and a couple of others that may or may not be on NRE's lists.

Surely the first three there cannot be counted as stations any more due to having no trains call whatsoever? I'd like to see someone try and get legitimately onto the platforms at Norton Bridge in this day and age! :lol:

Certainly, they've not been counted in my count of earlier today.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You'll need written prior permission from the MoD to do Lympstone Commando, but they do grant it if the reason is given clearly to them - there are a couple of people on this forum who have done just that and have posted about it in the past year or two.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is that still required since the cycle path opened up right past the station and base? There is effectively public access as a result of that to the station. Or so I thought...

Edit: Actually this FOI suggests that if you wish to alight at the station you are welcome to do so as it's Network Rail property but taking pictures of the base without first contacting the base and informing them of your intentions is likely to attract attention from base security.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't know - I've only ever been through the place en route to and from Exmouth from Exeter.

Is there some intrepid local forum member who might be willing to test it by walking along said path and then trying to access the station from it to see what happens?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Doesn't take my fancy! Oh, and good luck with doing Redcar British Steel too!

Without a doubt the OP will end up altering his rules to make this mission actually doable. I know myself I'll have no choice but to walk/cycle/bus/whatever to/from certain stations, quite it's one reason why I'm seriously considering getting back on with driving lessons and so forth.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Doesn't take my fancy! Oh, and good luck with doing Redcar British Steel too!

I believe a polite request to SSI asking either to access the station or to exit from the station will most likely yield a positive response. It has for others previously. But easiest would be to just bend the rules (as OP has already suggested) and hop off grab a photo and hop back on again. Probably worth warning the guard of your intentions however as they can be pretty quick to close the doors on this line at quiet stations.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
How does one contact Lympstone by e-mail, has anyone done that?

I found the contact form here:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/contact-us

but none of the options apply for what I'm wanting to ask for:

Careers information
Problems with applications
Website comments and feedback
Welfare Information Support

Station Bashing Support seems to be missing off the list :lol:!

It does say otherwise go to the MOD main site, but wouldn't it be best to contact the Lympstone site though?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well the FOI I linked above includes a phone number so you could always try that! It was from nearly three years ago so it may not work but you can always try :lol:

Gathursty

Established Member
Surely the first three there cannot be counted as stations any more due to having no trains call whatsoever?

I just took pictures of those three as I was in the Trent Valley area and the signage/platforms were pretty much intact. Also, an insurance policy, should they be re-opened in the future. ;)

In that case 2545 - 3 = 2542 NR stations in the UK to visit.

Do ring ahead for British Steel. Lympstone Commando probably send an e-mail on the day or ring through to the camp or just ask the train conductor but one could argue that if they don't want you indirectly taking a picture of the facilities, why is it surrounded by a wire mesh fence rather than 6 foot high brick walls.
Every other 'awkward' station is accessible but with either a long wait or a long walk involved.
Plan ahead and google the Travelling Salesman Problem and use Google Maps and NRE to see where best to do switchbacks and walking between lines if you really want to make the most of station scratching.
Evidently the FNL/HOWL/WHL/KoLL will be harder than Greater London to bash unless you have a car or a pushbike and a couple of days up there.

Best of Luck!

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks to a few members on here, I have managed (with their assistance - I'd get lost!) to get a few stations via walking interchange - some are longer than others but some interchanges can be close (the two Wigan stations are an example of this, if one of the more extreme examples of closeness of two stations on different lines!)

crehld

Established Member
Thanks to a few members on here, I have managed (with their assistance - I'd get lost!) to get a few stations via walking interchange - some are longer than others but some interchanges can be close (the two Wigan stations are an example of this, if one of the more extreme examples of closeness of two stations on different lines!)

I have also started to make use of the walking interchange. It's also worth considering walking between two stations when, for example there's an hourly service and the stations are less than three miles apart. That way you get two stations in within the hour... and it gives you something to do in those far flung places.

Agent_c

At stations with sparse / irregular services, I think that you will need to consider leaving some stations by bus, or walking. For example, ride the train from Stockport to Reddish South, then get a bus back to Stockport. Similarly, train to Denton, then bus into Manchester (or Hyde).

For the Highland line, you've got 2 services per day.... 1 in winter. Walking between Curlrain and Invershin 5 mins or so... Doing a few more by Bike seems a brilliant idea.

Statto95

Thanks everyone, I certainly wasn't expecting such a response, (especially so quickly!!).

I'll certainly be looking at walking or busing between stations if I can.

But easiest would be to just bend the rules (as OP has already suggested) and hop off grab a photo and hop back on again. Probably worth warning the guard of your intentions however as they can be pretty quick to close the doors on this line at quiet stations.
Yeah, I'll have a word with the guard. Don't want him going off without me and leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere for hours on end!! I did this when I was travelling the FGW line into the Cotswolds to get Evesham done... The guard just laughed at me and told me that was fine with him, and that I was mad for trying to do the challenge...

Station Bashing Support seems to be missing off the list :lol:!
Funnily enough I can't find that anywhere either, even on the different TOC websites... Gggrrr :shock:

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I've always wanted to make a site covering all sorts of aspects to the hobby with hints and tips, starting with a section of station scratching and all the tips and tricks to go with it. Didn't really bother looking into it as I didn't think really anyone would be interested.

I'm up to 1,170 stations so far, must admit since the last one it's been ages since I did one, especially with a lot of stations in one day too.

As others say, try walking between stations where you can. I did this on the Coryton Branch. You can get off at Birchgrove and walk back to Ty Glas while you wait for the train to trundle off to Coryton and back. The walk for me only took about 10-15 minutes if that.

Always worth having a look at street maps, or if you have a smartphone, Google Earth/Maps. I've found this useful for finding the route for the walk between stations. Remember, on maps like the London Connections map, or even the Bakers Atlas, they might not be as far as you think. I remember looking on the Bakers and it looked like Clock House was a bit of a distance from Kent House, but having looked on my smartphone, it's not far at all, 10 mins tops, might have been under that time. I used the map to guide me between the stations.

There are of course rules youc can set up to suit you, like I won't count a station unless I've got off one service then got on another, unless the headcode changes there where it is then a 'new' service.

I enjoy it though, when there's a gap between services, I tend to wander off the station and look around the place.

alex17595

Altnabreac is an easy one to get, go on a southbound service and there is only a 20 minute wait for the next northbound.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good luck with the branch lines in the north of Scotland and the west of Wales! Hopefully you will manage it!

Hornet

If you want to do it properly, here are a few rules I invoked when I completed a similar task in the late 80's/early 90's. These rules were part of an e-mail sent to a third party who were compiling a consultative document Note that this was done purely by the BR PTT at the time and an excellent knowledge of UK Rail Geography. (No internet, google maps,etc). Don't use Wikipedia as a primary source of information. It's crap.

"I am currently involved in a Project which involves compiling a
historical database of all Railway Stations that were opened on the last day of British Rail (31/03/1994), and all subsequent Railway Stations that have been opened since that date. This database will include a photograph
from my personal collection which is taken of the Station, with either a stopping, through or freight train passing through it. I managed to photograph every Station that was opened during British Rail days prior to
the 31/03/1994. Subsequent to this date I have a photographic record of all but three Station currently opened (as of the 1st March 2015). There are
certain rules that I have instigated regards the validity of the Station to be in the Project.

1/ All Stations must have appeared in the British Rail Timetable 04/10/1993 to 28/05/1994.
2/ Subsequently opened Stations post 31/03/1994 must have appeared in the Great Britain Passenger Timetable.
3/ All Stations must have a minimum of 1 stopping service a week when open.
4/ Seasonal Stations must confirm to 3/ above when open.
5/ Temporary Stations, Intermittently opened Stations (i.e. Football Club Halts), and non Timetabled Stations are not considered.
6/ Underground and Metro Stations not served by British Rail/National Rail services are not included. (I cover these under separate projects)
7/ Only the Domestic TOC is identified. International elements of any Station (Eurostar Services) are recorded in the Stations History.
8/ All Stations are considered open unless they have either gone through the Formal Closure Procedure or if there is verifiable Documentation confirming closure.
9/ Primary References used are R.V.J. BUTT - THE DIRECTORY OF RAIL STATIONS (although references from this Reference Volume will be superseded in time from the more accurate Reference Volume
M.E. QUICK - RAILWAY PASSENGER STATIONS: A CHRONOLOGY).
Other Primary References include maps including
COL M.H. COBB - RAILWAYS OF GREAT BRITAIN and JOWETT'S RAILWAY ATLAS and NATIONALISED RAILWAY ATLAS and TONY DEWICK - COMPLETE ATLAS OF RAILWAY STATION NAMES, Newspaper articles, Government Documentation, Network Rail, TOC Documentation and RAIL MAGAZINE. I use Wikipedia as a Secondary form of Reference.
I DO NOT, ON ANY ACCOUNT, USE WIKIPEDIA AS A PRIMARY FORM OF REFERENCE. I cross reference Wikipedia information against any other valid Reference Information.
10/ All Documentation is used purely in a personal capacity for my Project.

Of all the Stations, only two have given me difficult decisions to make. One is Moor Park, the other is Weymouth Quay.

Moor Park was served by British Rail services until c.1993. London Underground services continue to use this Station. It is believed there is Documentation that allows Chiltern Railway Co. Trains to stop at this station
in emergencies. Until that information is verified I have invoked Rule 6 for this Station.
(East Putney, Southfields and Wimbledon Park had British Rail signage as they were on British Rail Lines, but were transferred like Bank (W&C) and Waterloo (W&C) to London Underground on the 01/04/1994. It is believed
there is Documentation that allows South West Trains to stop at East Putney, Southfields and Wimbledon Park in emergencies. Until that information is verified I have invoked Rule 6 for these Stations. All Documentation
suggests the 1940's was the last time that London & South Western services used these Stations, with London Underground service the only user of these Station since then.

Weymouth Quay has not had a regular service since 1985, but has been served by the occasional excursion service up to 1997. There has not been a Formal Closure Procedure implemented at this Station. As such
I have included this under Rule 1 even though this Stations does not meet the requirements of Rule 1. (Newhaven Marine and Folkestone Harbour do meet Rule 1). I treat this station as 'mothballed' as it is not formally closed.
(Folkestone Harbour is now Formally Closed). Also under Rule 1 is Barlaston, Norton Bridge and Wedgwood which I would consider as 'Mothballed'.

Rule 2 will include Dartmoor Railway and North Yorkshire Moors Railway Stations as they appear in the Great Britain Passenger Timetable Index of Stations.

Rule 3 will include Denton, Reddish South and Polesworth.

Rule 4 will include Dunrobin Castle, Falls of Cruachan and Smallbrook Junction.

Rule 5 will include Heathrow Junction, Workington North and the Interim Platfoms at St Pancras.

Rule 6 will include Putney Bridge and Tyne & Wear Metro Stations.

Rule 7 will include St Pancras, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International and Stratford International.

Rule 8 will include Watford West and Croxley Green as these were closed by DOT letter.

I have also identified Stations with restricted access, namely British Steel Redcar, IBM, Lympstone Commando which are for authorised access only and Smallbrook Junction which is for access to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. Other Stations that restricted access due to their location but can be accessed by all are Altnabreac, Berney Arms, Corrour, Dovey Junction and Duncraig."

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
I won't count a station unless I've got off one service then got on another, unless the headcode changes there where it is then a 'new' service.

I use the same rule. It's not my mission to visit every station (I know realistically I will not achieve that) but I keep a record of all the stations I have visited and if possible I will try and do as many as possible. So far I am up to 854.

The walking between stations is something I do as like others have said lessens the wait.

However, good luck Statto95 with this mission.

Gathursty

Established Member
IBM - I just told the security guard I was picking someone up from there as I lived nearby. Guess he was bored as it was Sunday mid-evening with only wild deer to keep him company. Also, wild deer in an industrial estate?? Odd but fascinating.

Longcross can be seen as restricted as I thought it was only accessible through the complex BUT the turn off at the nearby roundabout which leads to the bar will take you around the back of the complex and peter into a footpath down to the station.

Last edited:

pne

Is that still required since the cycle path opened up right past the station and base? There is effectively public access as a result of that to the station. Or so I thought...

I believe that the operative word is "right past" the station; the path does not actually serve the station as there is, to my knowledge, a fence with a locked gate between the cycle path and the platform (and another locked gate on the other side towards the base itself).

So one could bend the rules by taking the cycle path and holding the camera over the fence to take a picture of the station sign, but one couldn't access the platform from the cycle path.

It depends a bit on whether your goal is "have a picture of every station sign" or "have stood on every platform".

Buttsy

Established Member
My rules have been solely to stand on the platform of the station, but I am not deliberately to drive to the station solely to 'tick it off'.

Connel Ferry was done as I was trying to see if I could get a picture of the bridge from the station after driving back from Oban to Glencoe (couldn't). Glaisdale, Bridge Of Orchy and Nethertown have all been done on walks I've decided to do and happened to pass by these stations.

Folkestone Harbour (now defunct), Weymouth Quay and Quainton Road were included in my 640, which has now reduced to 639 due to the closure of the Harbour station as they are NR stations. The former 2 were doen by walking there rather than taking a train to my chargin (misread timetable at Bournemouth and thought I could do Lymington first...)

A Saturday afternoon train to Shipton from Oxford gave me enough time to walk to Ascott and then on to Charlbury to catch a service back to Oxford about 2 hours later.

Trained to Invershin (arr 15:30) , walked to Culrain and then on to Ardgay (past Carbisdale Castle) to catch the 18:50 back to Inverness. Also did the same from Duirinish to Duncraig via Plockton between the 12:08 and 13:46 departures from Kyle (almost missed Duirinish as driver forgot to stop!).

Recent trip on a North East Rover saw me walk between these stations:

Pontefract Baghill - Tanshelf
Gargrave - Skipton
Hessle - Ferriby
South Milford - Sherburn-in-Elmet
Moorthorpe - South Elmsall
Gainsborough Central - Lea Road
Newcastle Central - Manors
Howden - Eastrington
Harrogate - Starbeck

Also changed at Nunthorpe, Brough, Bingley, Habrough, Seamer and Knaresborough to tick those off too.

Last edited:

crehld

Established Member
Gargrave - Skipton

A wonderful walk along the canal! Seriously, for the more scenic locations (Yorkshire Dales, Scottish Highlands etc) you will get much more out of your experience by also soaking in some of the surrounding countryside too! And it's a good way to keep your legs in good shape when they'll otherwise be stuck in a seat all day!

Hornet

My rules have been solely to stand on the platform of the station, but I am not deliberately to drive to the station solely to 'tick it off'.

Connel Ferry was done as I was trying to see if I could get a picture of the bridge from the station after driving back from Oban to Glencoe (couldn't). Glaisdale, Bridge Of Orchy and Nethertown have all been done on walks I've decided to do and happened to pass by these stations.

Folkestone Harbour (now defunct), Weymouth Quay and Quainton Road were included in my 640, which has now reduced to 639 due to the closure of the Harbour station as they are NR stations. The former 2 were doen by walking there rather than taking a train to my chargin (misread timetable at Bournemouth and thought I could do Lymington first...)

A Saturday afternoon train to Shipton from Oxford gave me enough time to walk to Ascott and then on to Charlbury to catch a service back to Oxford about 2 hours later.

Trained to Invershin (arr 15:30) , walked to Culrain and then on to Ardgay (past Carbisdale Castle) to catch the 18:50 back to Inverness. Also did the same from Duirinish to Duncraig via Plockton between the 12:08 and 13:46 departures from Kyle (almost missed Duirinish as driver forgot to stop!).

Recent trip on a North East Rover saw me walk between these stations:

Pontefract Baghill - Tanshelf
Gargrave - Skipton
Hessle - Ferriby
South Milford - Sherburn-in-Elmet
Moorthorpe - South Elmsall
Gainsborough Central - Lea Road
Newcastle Central - Manors
Howden - Eastrington
Harrogate - Starbeck

Also changed at Nunthorpe, Brough, Bingley, Habrough, Seamer and Knaresborough to tick those off too.

Quainton Road IS NOT a National Rail Station. It neither appears on National Rail's website, or on the ORR Station Usage spreadsheets, since their inception in 1997/98. (ORR Station Usage spreadsheets in xls. format are freely available to download from the ORR website).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.