• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting Okehampton and other nearby places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railcar

Moderator note: Split from
I took the train to Okehampton from Exeter St Davids on September 6th (a Tuesday) this year. The train was delayed in coming from Central and the station stops looked interesting for exploration.

Twenty or so people came to Okehampton by train. A dismal trudge down the hill in pouring rain was brightened by the building seen in the town with 'CAFE' painted on the wall (they must get a lot of trade from that sign).

The 'end to end' rail services in the Torbay area run from Paignton to Exmouth. Having visited Exmouth, I was not impressed. An 'end to end' route from Paignton to Okehampton would pull in more users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
The 'end to end' rail services in the Torbay area run from Paignton to Exmouth. Having visited Exmouth, I was not impressed. An 'end to end' route from Paignton to Okehampton would pull in more users.

And deprive all stations from Paignton to Exeter of the through service to Exeter Central. That would go down like a lead weight.

Same applies to the Okehampton branch which would also lose out on direct services to one of if not the most important destination.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 1 million users per year of Exmouth Station on a branch line once proposed for closure may care to differ.
Devon CC have aspirations of the frequency going up to every 20mins one day.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
There is not much of a view on the Okehampton line, after 40 or so years as a freight line it is pretty much solid tree lined.

Last edited by a moderator:

nw1

Established Member
TBH there is not much of a view on the Okehampton line,after 40 or so years as a freight line it is pretty much solid tree lined.

I've never done Okehampton by rail, only by road and am actually quite surprised by that, given the A30 has, if I remember right (used it in the mid-90s) pretty open views most of the way, and the countryside as a whole seemed pretty open.

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
Ilfracombe was once a well served holiday destination, of course. Now it's a dump. I don't know who'd go to Tavistock at all?
Tavistock is a lovely place. Some years ago it was judged by one of the national papers to be the nicest Town in England.

It managed to see off McDonalds - the locals prefer their pasties - at least three pasty shops.

Has tremendous heritage and has been designated by UNESCO World Heritage as part of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape.

I have been staying either in Tavistock (at the Bedford) or at its sister hotel down the road at Two Bridges at least twice a year since 1996 except for 2020 for obvious reasons.

I wouldn't keep going back if Tavistock didn't offer me something.

I have always dreamed of the reopening of the railway to Tavistock and perhaps on to Okehampton.

With the opening of Okehampton station I now have two railheads for days out by train when staying in the area. Either Tamar Valley line Gunnislake / Bere Alston or Okehampton.

It's many years since I have been to Ilfracombe - 1990s for some PS WAVERLEY sailings thus I don't know what that is like - but it suffers as do most north Devon / Cornwall resort towns of becoming overloaded during the summer peaks.

Tavistock will never appeal to the bucket and spade / 'kiss me quick' hat brigade - but it is very much the sort of town that would attract visitors who find places such as Bowness / Betws-y-Coed or Llangollen attractive places for days out or holidays.

Back in the day, railway companies had a very active (and lucrative) involvement in owning, supporting and operating bus companies.
It is a great shame that the railway links with buses, ferries and even the early domestic services were severed. Things were shaping up for integrated transport systems with ticket inter availability. It is a great shame politics / nationalisation then privatisation got in the way.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Tavistock is a lovely place. Some years ago it was judged by one of the national papers to be the nicest Town in England.

It managed to see off McDonalds - the locals prefer their pasties - at least three pasty shops.

Has tremendous heritage and has been designated by UNESCO World Heritage as part of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape.

I have been staying either in Tavistock (at the Bedford) or at its sister hotel down the road at Two Bridges at least twice a year since 1996 except for 2020 for obvious reasons.

I wouldn't keep going back if Tavistock didn't offer me something.

I have always dreamed of the reopening of the railway to Tavistock and perhaps on to Okehampton.

With the opening of Okehampton station I now have two railheads for days out by train when staying in the area. Either Tamar Valley line Gunnislake / Bere Alston or Okehampton.

It's many years since I have been to Ilfracombe - 1990s for some PS WAVERLEY sailings thus I don't know what that is like - but it suffers as do most north Devon / Cornwall resort towns of becoming overloaded during the summer peaks.

Tavistock will never appeal to the bucket and spade / 'kiss me quick' hat brigade - but it is very much the sort of town that would attract visitors who find places such as Bowness / Betws-y-Coed or Llangollen attractive places for days out or holidays.

It is a great shame that the railway links with buses, ferries and even the early domestic services were severed. Things were shaping up for integrated transport systems with ticket inter availability. It is a great shame politics / nationalisation then privatisation got in the way.

Thanks for an enjoyable description of Tavistock. I will certainly visit when the line reopens !

John Luxton

Established Member
Thanks for an enjoyable description of Tavistock. I will certainly visit when the line reopens !
Certain trains on Tamar Valley line are met by a stage coach bus at Bere Alston and at there are other bus connections from Tavistock you can get quite close by train now! :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Likewise, I didn't think to look up Tavistock but it sounds like it will be worth a visit when I'm next in that area, even if I have to do a bus to/from there. It might even feature as part of a cycling tour!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Likewise, I didn't think to look up Tavistock but it sounds like it will be worth a visit when I'm next in that area, even if I have to do a bus to/from there. It might even feature as part of a cycling tour!

I'm too lazy to cycle :lol:

MarkyT

Established Member
I was looking forward to visiting next year, and will now reconsider! ;)
Barnstaple has a Wimpy, the only one in Devon recent research reveals. I am planning a North Devon excursion for my first ride on the Okehampton line soon, incorporating a side trip to Barnstaple for an all-day breakfast, incorporating the famous 'bender' partially segmented frankfurter sausage, now known as a 'bendy sausage' I understand. As to 'Spoons, I wonder if the chain will survive until next year. Note the founder lives in Devon, near Exeter apparently.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've had a look tonight at where Tavistock is, and some photos that came up on Maps made me very interested in visiting! Some big hills on the way over from Okehampton though, but that's just Maps offered as the fastest route. Definitely interested in adding to the numbers who've used Okehampton still!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I've had a look tonight at where Tavistock is, and some photos that came up on Maps made me very interested in visiting! Some big hills on the way over from Okehampton though, but that's just Maps offered as the fastest route. Definitely interested in adding to the numbers who've used Okehampton still!

oh it’s proper lumpy round there!

Ediswan

Established Member
Anybody visiting Tavistock should consider a detour to walk or cycle over Gem Bridge, on the Launceston Branch of the old Plymouth to Tavistock railway line. Note the places to stop and admire the view without obstructing the path. Gem Bridge replaces the Walkham Viaduct, though lower and shorter (with ramps) to keep the cost down.
https://www.steelconstruction.info/Gem_Bridge,_Dartmoor_National_Park
Gem Bridge.png

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Barnstaple has a Wimpy, the only one in Devon recent research reveals. I am planning a North Devon excursion for my first ride on the Okehampton line soon, incorporating a side trip to Barnstaple for an all-day breakfast, incorporating the famous 'bender' partially segmented frankfurter sausage, now known as a 'bendy sausage' I understand. As to 'Spoons, I wonder if the chain will survive until next year. Note the founder lives in Devon, near Exeter apparently.

Brown Derby for pudding ?!

Love the Wimpy :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Anybody visiting Tavistock should consider a detour to walk or cycle over Gem Bridge, on the Launceston Branch of the old Plymouth to Tavistock railway line. Note the places to stop and admire the view without obstructing the path. Gem Bridge replaces the Walkham Viaduct, though lower and shorter (with ramps) to keep the cost down.
https://www.steelconstruction.info/Gem_Bridge,_Dartmoor_National_Park
View attachment 124401

Oh wow, nice! I'll have to try and remember this for when I get around to exploring that part of the world!

oh it’s proper lumpy round there!

It sure looked like it! Maps' gradient profile for Gunnislake to Tavistock threw up some crazy hills, a lengthy very steep hill followed immediately by an equally steep and lenghy climb. I've never seen such a v shape on a gradient profile before!

John Luxton

Established Member
On subject of places to visit in Tavistock if your interest extends to canals / industrial archaeology a walk along the Tavistock Canal is highly recommended. I have done this fairly recently from the feed weir at Abbey Bridge through to the end of the public part of the Tow Path at the Lumburn Aqueduct. The canal has a fascinating history associated with the local mining industry. The long tunnel under Morwell Down was also used to explore local mineral lodes.

The final section at Morwellham featured a railway inclined plane which provided a connection with the Port of Morwellham (Morwellham is a museum but opening has been erratic since Covid). The tow path passes under the Shilla Mill Railway viaduct. The canal fell to railway competition. However, in the early 20th Century it was refurbished as a source of water supply to the Morwellham Hydro Electric Power Station and hence is well maintained unlike many other closed canals.

A collection of my recent photos of the canal can be found here: https://www.jhluxton.com/Canals/Tavistock-Canal/

As for refreshment venues - I find the Original Pasty House in Bedford Square does the best pasties. If you want beer (Dartmoor brewery) / good cream teas / meals accommodation etc try the Bedford Hotel opposite the church. That too is a fantastic period hotel adapted from a residence once used by the Dukes of Bedford.

davetheguard

Established Member
It might even feature as part of a cycling tour!

If you're thinking of cycling from Okehampton to Tavistock, you can cycle a good chunck of it on the old railway line between the two places, including crossing Meldon Viaduct. neadless to say, as an old railway, the gradients are pretty easy!

Google the Granite Way cycle path which you can get on right by Okehampton station. There's a bike hire business next to Okehampton station too, if you don't want to bring your own.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you're thinking of cycling from Okehampton to Tavistock, you can cycle a good chunck of it on the old railway line between the two places, including crossing Meldon Viaduct. neadless to say, as an old railway, the gradients are pretty easy!

Google the Granite Way cycle path which you can get on right by Okehampton station. There's a bike hire business next to Okehampton station too, if you don't want to bring your own.

Thanks! I'm a little disappointed that Maps didn't suggest such a route. The Granite Way is on my incredibly long list of rides to do, I might have to look at doing this in the next few months. With the recent news GWR is binning its GTi HST fleet, it makes sense to have a trip focused on that area before they go. Not that I want any of them for my book, I've had them all countless times, but it's still a last-chance kind of thing if that makes sense.

Ediswan

Established Member
Oh wow, nice! I'll have to try and remember this for when I get around to exploring that part of the world!
If you also wish to see Gem Bridge from below, there is a zig-zag path down through some young trees at the southern end. I keep meaning to add that path to OSM, but don't have a GPS trace. Obvious enough if you are there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you also wish to see Gem Bridge from below, there is a zig-zag path down through some young trees at the southern end. I keep meaning to add that path to OSM, but don't have a GPS trace. Obvious enough if you are there.

I'm no doubt having a moment here, but what is OSM? Clearly it isn't something I use!

For those wanting to get to Tavistock from Okehampton

there is a maximum fare of £3.00, single or return, for passengers on the 118 who have a valid rail ticket.

Funky, now that's a nice and cheap option!

Status
Not open for further replies.