• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voith or ZF or diesel electric transmission sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Do you prefer the sound of 2/3 speed Voith transmission found in 2nd gen DMUs, none - as found in the electric transmission of Voyager DMUs or the new fangled 6 speed ZF found in the latest DMUs with its many frequent changes ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Do you prefer the sound of 2/3 speed Voith transmission found in 2nd gen DMUs, none - as found in the electric transmission of Voyager DMUs or the new fangled 6 speed ZF found in the latest DMUs with its many frequent changes ?

Not one I can answer easily to be honest.

The electric transmission in the IET's when in a motored coach is wonderful.

The 3-speed Voith transmission in the Class 180's and 185's I like.

When my brother and I in August 2013 went from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon, the train we caught from Banbury (10:30ish) was a 2-car 172. I was totally surprised (didn't expect it) that these changed gears (meaning more frequently than previous 1xx diesels).

That was one reason I was disappointed that from Oxford only to Bicester Village back in February 2017 the 13:10ish was a Mainline 168 - instead if the ZF-boxed 172. Chiltern said that I seemed to like the 172's more than others (when I emailed). That surprised me. Probably because most people like the interior ambience of a Mainline 168 than ofthe white and blue trains.

At least the 168 was 3 coaches compared to 2 coaches on the 172's.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I find the ZF boxes make the train sound like a Dennis Dart. It's a shame they aren't using the electrically controlled "H gate" boxes used on most new coaches instead, they sound far better.

(Not that it's that important compared with fuel efficiency etc!)

Rikki Lamb

I wouldn't call the ZF gearboxes new fangled. They are essentially a mechanical automatic bus gear, closer skin to the first gens than the hydraulic transmissions favoured in recent years. I think the gear changes give character to what are other wise bland boxes of plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.