• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Volunteering to gain experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonschool

Hello, since I have got free time til university in October and nobody wants to hire me for a job I thought about Volunteering. I enjoy the canals and contacted the Canal and River Trust about volunteering but never heard a reply. So, I thought about the next thing I wouldn't mind to volunteer for, the rail system.

I had a Google but I couldn't find anything, but I just want to lend a helping hand in some way. I love trains (if that doesn't sound weird) and just seeing everything in action is great. I'm not on about the actual building of trains but rather at train station, on the trains, etc. I'd even love to clean up the stations in my area but I'm not sure who and if I can contact anyone.

Live in the West Midlands area with all my local stations being operated by London Midlands, would it be a good bet to contact them to see what they say or should I not bother?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
You could try joining or setting up a station adoption scheme. However, if you decide to set one up, you will need both the support of your local station operator and some level of business sense in order to set up the project - plus, probably equally importantly in your case, the ability to commit sufficient time in the medium-term to see it through as a successful project. Station adoption can be enormously beneficial but varies quite significantly in complexity. Think carefully about it, and if it's for you, it's worth having a word with your local rail user group to see if they can help out. I can't help with the specifics as I have no significant contacts in that area, but start a very open discussion with any local rail user representative that may exist. They, in turn, will often have a relationship with the local TOCs which is able to cater for constructively improving facilities. A lot of stations all over the place need some local TLC; good luck if you can sort something out!

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hello, since I have got free time til university in October and nobody wants to hire me for a job I thought about Volunteering. I enjoy the canals and contacted the Canal and River Trust about volunteering but never heard a reply. So, I thought about the next thing I wouldn't mind to volunteer for, the rail system.

I had a Google but I couldn't find anything, but I just want to lend a helping hand in some way. I love trains (if that doesn't sound weird) and just seeing everything in action is great. I'm not on about the actual building of trains but rather at train station, on the trains, etc. I'd even love to clean up the stations in my area but I'm not sure who and if I can contact anyone.

Live in the West Midlands area with all my local stations being operated by London Midlands, would it be a good bet to contact them to see what they say or should I not bother?

I wonder as to your expectations of vacation work. If you can't land a temp job, what are you going to do when you graduate?
My advice is to knuckle down, and get stuck in at a job. Nothing is beneath you. There is always something. The summer spent working as a waiter or for a fat food chain, could open doors onto a management scheme after your studies.

Moonschool

I wonder as to your expectations of vacation work. If you can't land a temp job, what are you going to do when you graduate?
My advice is to knuckle down, and get stuck in at a job. Nothing is beneath you. There is always something. The summer spent working as a waiter or for a fat food chain, could open doors onto a management scheme after your studies.

I have been applying for jobs left and right, they either don't reply or say I'm unsuccessful. People have been saying I should volunteer to increase my experience and I just wanted to see if there was any volunteering jobs with my local train services.

Jonfun

Established Member
E&W Lucas, I agree with your sentiment, but these days it isn't that simple. From experience I can tell you that the jobs just aren't there for young people with no hard "on paper" experience. I'd be inclined to suggest Moonschool considers his local heritage line, where they'll be almost certainly looking for suitable volunteers somewhere.

the sniper

Established Member
I agree with Moonshot. I was in the same position and geographical area as him and it ain't just a matter of walking into even some rubbish job. Without any work experience whatsoever it was virtually impossible to get your foot in the door anywhere. In the end I worked voluntarily in a YMCA shop, then got into BTP as a Special Constable (which is voluntary/unpaid), the resulting experience then got me a paid job in Waitrose and a couple of months later a job as a Guard on the railway, which is what I'd always hoped to do.

Basically voluntary work set me up for life, but I never went to University and had no intention of doing so.

D365

Veteran Member
I agree with Moonshot. I was in the same position and geographical area as him and it ain't just a matter of walking into even some rubbish job. Without any work experience whatsoever it was virtually impossible to get your foot in the door anywhere. In the end I worked voluntarily in a YMCA shop, then got into BTP as a Special Constable (which is voluntary/unpaid), the resulting experience then got me a paid job in Waitrose and a couple of months later a job as a Guard on the railway, which is what I'd always hoped to do.

Basically voluntary work set me up for life, but I never went to University and had no intention of doing so.

+1

I don't have the faintest clue why everyone is going on about getting a part-time paid job for experience. Sure, the time-balancing attitude and commitment involved may come in handy - as I know from several friends who have worked at Waitrose, Sainsbury's etc. However it won't impress a potential employer quite as much as taking the initiative to go out and use your spare time to work with and benefit others.

For example, I've been working at a charity bookshop for three-and-a-half years, which I started doing for my DofE Award but have carried on with since. Additionally I've worked on-and-off at a local country park and a railway museum/wildlife haven. It's given me confidence in abundance to go out and work with other volunteers to serve the public and together to make a difference.

My experience has always been positive and it's helped me with filling out personal statements and CVs, as well as having given me plenty to talk about in interviews. The character-building and skills acquired are always an advantage. And even if it's just for a couple of months, I can only encourage you to do the same.

plastictaffy

I'd be surprised if you got a flat refusal from London Midland with regards to volunteering. It happens on the Marston Vale line, has done for years. I'd send them a tweet or a Facebook message and ask them.

If a railway job is what you desire, keep an eye on their recruitment page for the next few weeks....... ;)

alexl92

Established Member
In a similar position to OP last year, my only ray of light was sigining up to a temping agency - but even then, they struggled to get any decent work for me.

Any volunteering experience you can get is gold dust these days. If you work on a preserved line, make sure to get experience in as many areas as possible - working in the ticket office or shop may not be thrilling but it is cash-handling experience (you'd be surprised how often it's asked about), customer service, team work etc etc.

Nevillehill

Volunteer at the Heart foundation, there you will gain experience of customer service, please keep away from Heritage railways as they will think that you are a trainspotter just interested in looking at trains instead of working.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Find your local Heart foundation https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer

Tomnick

Established Member
I'd certainly recommend a local heritage railway, preferably one of the well established ones such as the Severn Valley. Whilst there surely will be opportunities to do some voluntary station work for a TOC, there'll be far less potential take away evidence to demonstrate that you have relevant non-technical skills - and that's the main focus of any interview for an operating role on the railways nowadays, if that interests you in the longer term.
please keep away from Heritage railways as they will think that you are a trainspotter just interested in looking at trains instead of working.
On the contrary, and not wishing to undermine the hard work by those carried out in charity shops, voluntary work on a heritage railway gives valuable relevant experience, especially (but not exclusively) in operating roles. If it's presented appropriately on an application form, it's potentially a big selling point. Everyone that I work with on our heritage railway carries out their duties in a wholly responsible manner without being distracted by "looking at trains" (many, myself included, have no particularly great interest in the trains themselves), and the experience that I gained was invaluable in getting me my first 'proper' railway job.

plannerman

Another vote for preserved railways, but don't forget there is a lot more to them than running trains. Depending on exactly what you want to do, you could help with marketing, scheduling, visitor experience (customer service), engineering, there's all sorts that people don't necessarily think about

D365

Veteran Member
+1, so many different roles and personnel are needed to preserve and keep a heritage railway moving. I would have asked at the Nene Valley Railway but getting to Wansford/Ferry Meadows from Peterborough mainline is not convenient, plus I only have a limited number of days when I am available.

Nevillehill

Another vote for preserved railways, but don't forget there is a lot more to them than running trains. Depending on exactly what you want to do, you could help with marketing, scheduling, visitor experience (customer service), engineering, there's all sorts that people don't necessarily think about

but volunteering for the Heart foundation you are learning and it's for a good cause, one day you might need a heart by pass.

Don't think that if you work on a heritage railway you are entitled to work on the main network, and for customer service it's a different type of customer on the main network, eg drunken football fans also Friday nights sat nights, how many aggressive passengers do you find on a heritage railway.

It's a different game on the main network.

the sniper

Established Member
Volunteer at the Heart foundation, there you will gain experience of customer service, please keep away from Heritage railways as they will think that you are a trainspotter just interested in looking at trains instead of working.

Don't think that if you work on a heritage railway you are entitled to work on the main network, and for customer service it's a different type of customer on the main network, eg drunken football fans also Friday nights sat nights, how many aggressive passengers do you find on a heritage railway.

Well if you went into an interview with a TOC with that attitude (in bold) you wouldn't get the job anyway. I honestly don't think that's a reason not to volunteer on a heritage railway though, if I'd have been closer to one I'd have done that. I know a couple of lads who's main work experience prior to getting jobs as Guards at my TOC was gained volunteering on a persevered railway. That's not the say it's a guaranteed route, but it's not a bad idea.

Jonfun

Established Member
but volunteering for the Heart foundation you are learning and it's for a good cause, one day you might need a heart by pass.

Can I ask, have you ever worked on a heritage railway? I've only once had someone millimetres from my face swearing at me and threatening me for having the audacity to ask for their ticket - and it wasn't in my day job.

Nevillehill

Can I ask, have you ever worked on a heritage railway? I've only once had someone millimetres from my face swearing at me and threatening me for having the audacity to ask for their ticket - and it wasn't in my day job.

Yes I have worked on the North Yorks Moors railway, but didn't make a big deal in the interview as they are keen about health & safety and customer service.

Jonfun

Established Member
Is that trying to make a point about the NYMR's safety and customer service standards? :P

That does actually bring up a worthwhile point however. If you're volunteering to gain experience for a given role, make sure you're volunteering doing something worthwhile. Wanting a career in train maintenance and volunteering cleaning the trains probably isn't that relevant and whilst it'll show you've got some willing it's perhaps less useful than someone who has a few years of helping out maintaining their diesel fleet etc. Same applies to anyone who wants to work as a conductor, volunteering as a booking clerk would let you develop customer service and cash handling skills, more so say then you would volunteering on the engines.

Nevillehill

I now work as a dispatcher for virgin east coast, de gained experience as a volunteer on NYMR.

Moonschool

Not sure if anybody care for this update but after being redirected to different departments, I got an assessment for Birmingham New Street for when the new part of the station that opens in September. Thank you for all your help guys!

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I now work as a dispatcher for virgin east coast, de gained experience as a volunteer on NYMR.

What role and for how long please? The railways are a VERY small world.

Generally speaking, paid work trumps volunteering every time. If it's your livelihood, you have to stick at it, in a way a volunteer doesn't have to. However, if you're a young person starting from scratch, then the person who gets ahead, is the one who does something constructive outside school. Volunteering, competitive sport, youth organisation, etc.
I'm not sure I buy into this notion that it's impossible to land an entry level job. I've interviewed many, many young people, and you will recruit those who have never been employed before, if their attitude, etc is right. You don't need work experience, to carry a hotel guest's bag, or put a box on a shelf. You just need manners, and a willingness to get out of bed in the morning.

Volunteering to gain railway specific experience - for the umpteenth time, NO!

Last edited:

Nevillehill

Generally speaking, paid work trumps volunteering every time. If it's your livelihood, you have to stick at it, in a way a volunteer doesn't have to. However, if you're a young person starting from scratch, then the person who gets ahead, is the one who does something constructive outside school. Volunteering, competitive sport, youth organisation, etc.
I'm not sure I buy into this notion that it's impossible to land an entry level job. I've interviewed many, many young people, and you will recruit those who have never been employed before, if their attitude, etc is right. You don't need work experience, to carry a hotel guest's bag, or put a box on a shelf. You just need manners, and a willingness to get out of bed in the morning.

What about if you volunteer if they have a gap in employment, some people are not just after money, they like to work.

I didn't volunteer to gain experience for the railway as I have life skills, I went to the university of life.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is that trying to make a point about the NYMR's safety and customer service standards? :P

That does actually bring up a worthwhile point however. If you're volunteering to gain experience for a given role, make sure you're volunteering doing something worthwhile. Wanting a career in train maintenance and volunteering cleaning the trains probably isn't that relevant and whilst it'll show you've got some willing it's perhaps less useful than someone who has a few years of helping out maintaining their diesel fleet etc. Same applies to anyone who wants to work as a conductor, volunteering as a booking clerk would let you develop customer service and cash handling skills, more so say then you would volunteering on the engines.

I worked in the booking office at Pickering.

Nevillehill

My boss says you talk crap!!

headshot119

Established Member

Ever worked at any of the below:-

Day Out With Thomas
Late night real ale trains
Any other late night train where people have been in the pub
Galas involving real ale

I've taken plenty of abuse working on a heritage line.

However I didn't volunteer on a heritage line to get experience specifically in the railway industry, or in fact in any industry. The experience I gained though did help me to interview well for my first job whilst working in college, and speaking to the manager who recruited me a couple of years later he said my experience and examples set me apart from all the other people of a similar age he interviewed.

Working on a heritage line did nothing whatsoever in me getting into the industry.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Ever worked at any of the below:-

Day Out With Thomas
Late night real ale trains
Any other late night train where people have been in the pub
Galas involving real ale

I've taken plenty of abuse working on a heritage line.

However I didn't volunteer on a heritage line to get experience specifically in the railway industry, or in fact in any industry. The experience I gained though did help me to interview well for my first job whilst working in college, and speaking to the manager who recruited me a couple of years later he said my experience and examples set me apart from all the other people of a similar age he interviewed.

Working on a heritage line did nothing whatsoever in me getting into the industry.

The above is spot on.
Rather more so, than some of that posted by those who have no more than dipped the proverbial toe in either pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.