• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wabtec Awarded Contract For £60M Class 321 Refurbishment Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
A good air-con system doesn't need hopper windows, because it rarely, if ever fails, like the 360s prove.

Sadly it seems we don't have a good air-con system on the 321s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Saturday, 321304, out to Clacton - boiling hot day, lots of seaside visitors, excellent aircon performance.
Today, 321321, inward from Stratford - fairly chilled day, a handful of passengers onboard, warmer on the train than outside.

Was 321321 newly allowed in service recently? It was parked at Clacton on Saturday. Maybe it still has some teething issues?

dp21

Why don't they just re-install the hopper windows so that when the air con fails there is windows to open.

My understanding is that 448 is having this done due to terrible air con performance but haven't seen any formal evidence.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The reason you don't fit hopper windows is because even if the A/C is working, ignorant passengers get on board feeling hot and open the windows, which defeats the effect of the A/C almost entirely. You have to provide a singular 'emergency only' ventilation window for those cases really.
bb21 - interesting report, I wonder if there is simply a common defect with the system that causes it to underperform, but that the actual cooling output of the system is plenty sufficient?
I can only assume, like with the rest of the interior, it's a case of the 'lowest bidder' supplier - air conditioning systems are plenty prone to failure, so using the cheapest supplier is bound to cause all sorts of issues.
I find it interesting that despite the extent of the interior refurbishment proposed, Porterbrook's 319 Flex program does not include air conditioning.

Alfie1014

Travelled home on 303 on last evening's 18:48 LST - Clacton, (first day in service, I've not noted it out before?)

Air-con was working very well and quite noisy. Wi-fi was working too, is this a first for an ex-BR MkIII EMU? I quite like the seats, I think the standard ones are more comfortable than those in First! Any chance of these Quantum seats in the 720s?

Noticed that the glass draught screens in the vestibules in this unit are branded Abellio Greater Anglia, hadn't noticed this on the other refurb units but to be fair hadn't been looking. I wonder as this unit has been out of traffic since early 2016 and was the first of production units to enter works whether she had just slipped through?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
303 has been out since at least last week I believe.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Noticed that the glass draught screens in the vestibules in this unit are branded Abellio Greater Anglia, hadn't noticed this on the other refurb units but to be fair hadn't been looking. I wonder as this unit has been out of traffic since early 2016 and was the first of production units to enter works whether she had just slipped through?

Whoops, the DfT branding police won't be happy. Hopefully it won't have to go back up to Doncaster to get them removed.

On Moderation
Why does that make them ignorant? A lot of people prefer opening windows, especially if the inside of the train is hot.

Because if you open the window with the a/c on, the system tries to cool the outside, which a) defeats the object and b) puts greater strain on the system, increasing the chance of failures.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Having been onboard one of the units I have to say it doesn't sound much different, other than being a bit quieter. Presumably it sounds quite similar to the re-tractioned 455s from the outside.

palmersears

Established Member
As of today 321448 is currently scattered across the Wabtec yard, with carriages occupying three different roads. Also a couple of further 321s in the main yard behind the sheds, viewed from the shopping centre car park, but I can't make out the numbers for these.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Renatus update of sorts.

321 301/303/304/321 Refurbished and back at Ilford.
321 302/305/306 Undergoing Refurb at Wabtec.
321 309/311 Refurbished at Wolverton for traction package.
321 308 Unrefurbished at Wolverton for traction package.

321 312 Not sure.

dp21

Renatus update of sorts.

321 301/303/304/321 Refurbished and back at Ilford.
321 302/305/306 Undergoing Refurb at Wabtec.
321 309/311 Refurbished at Wolverton for traction package.
321 308 Unrefurbished at Wolverton for traction package.

321 312 Not sure.

312 has had traction upgrade but not Renatus. Last I looked, it was having a few problems and was still on depot.

dp21

Have these been withdrawn again? Haven't seen any of them for a few weeks now...

Couple of issues with them. Two units had to be sent back to Wolverton for traction motor changes. 303 has had various problems and 304 has been stopped due to bearing issues.

ginger

Couple of issues with them. Two units had to be sent back to Wolverton for traction motor changes. 303 has had various problems and 304 has been stopped due to bearing issues.

Teething troubles 3 years down the line? Flawed from the start.....bring on the new trains!

MCR247

Established Member
I remember the posts claiming that the full fleet replacement was excesssive and that they should've kept 'renatus' 321s...

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I never claimed the 321s should be kept, simply said that it's a shame that so much money is being spent on units that will probably not see any service past 2020 of any description. My issue was more with the 360s and the 379s.

Following the LM new franchise announcements, the biggest travesty will be if the 360s get parked up after their use with AGA while much poorer built units are going to still be in service with other operators.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I'll be surprised if the Renatus units don't see further service. Future AC EMU needs are all really about who is in government, the current one has cut-back the electrification programme but they are the least "green" of the main parties and are clinging on to power.

The landscape may well have changed by the time these units come off-lease in 2019. The price of new units versus old may have changed significantly by then too.

MCR247

Established Member
I never claimed the 321s should be kept, simply said that it's a shame that so much money is being spent on units that will probably not see any service past 2020 of any description. My issue was more with the 360s and the 379s.

Following the LM new franchise announcements, the biggest travesty will be if the 360s get parked up after their use with AGA while much poorer built units are going to still be in service with other operators.

No sorry I wasn't talking about you, as you said you were talking quite fairly about the newer 360s and 379s. But there were other posts saying it was a travesty that the 321s weren't being retainedi

Status
Not open for further replies.