• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales looks at bus franchising

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

This document has been produced by the Welsh Government and Transport for Wales (TfW) to outline our proposed approach to bus franchising.

It explains why we are introducing change, what our vision is for bus services in Wales, and how we are going to turn this vision into reality.

The bill is set to be introduced to the Senedd this year and TFW will work with operators in North Wales on a bridge to franchising.

In 2025, should the bill receive Senedd approval, Regional Transport Plans and Regional Transport Delivery Plans will be delivered. The bill should also become law if passed by the Senedd.

Between 2026 and 2028, hydrogen buses are set to be trialed in Swansea, Neath and Port Talbot. I'm not too confident about the hydrogen trial, I think EVs would be a better alternative if the journeys don't involve long journeys without charging. Franchising is also set to roll out between 2026 and 2028 with the first franchise zones up and running under management of TFW.

Between 2028 and 2035, franchise packages will be reviewed, improved and refreshed.

Overall, it sounds like a great plan and sounds like it will be integrated with TFW Rail which makes traveling across Wales with public transport just that bit easier. There are also plans to work closely with Unions on Industrial Relations.

Unite, the UK’s leading union, has welcomed the Welsh government’s ‘Our Road to Bus Reform’ plans, which will bring an end to the deregulation of the bus sector in Wales. Unite, which represents hundreds of bus workers in the country, has been one of the key stakeholders in finalising these reforms.

The plans echo the commitment given in the Social Partnership and Public Procurement (Wales) Act 2023 promoting fair work and a duty for socially responsible public procurement. It will overhaul the current system which sees bus operators deciding where to run services based on maximising profits.

Jo Goodchild, regional officer for Unite, said: “This will shake-up the way the public transport system works in Wales. We know the current system is all about returns rather than benefiting local communities. “It’s high time operators put the public before profit and they will no longer be able to get away with sacrificing decent terms and conditions for their workers as a means to win contracts."

Not surprised Unite is happy with this as the plan does, as mentioned above, involve working closer with Unions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm all for this in principle, but thus far they have failed to integrate Trawscymru with the railway properly, e.g. the way connections miss at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

I think to make this work properly there will need to be management changes, such as putting TfW Rail and TfW Bus under the same set of management with a single set of network planners and fares policies.

The old British culture of "we do buses, you do trains" is a huge barrier to proper integration and really needs to stop. It was even like that under the British Transport Commission!

Established Member
I can't say I support the idea of having politicians calling the shots where public transport is concerned, and am pleased franchising is unlikely to happen here in Chester. The private sector has much room for improvement, but it's better the devil you know, in my view.

anthony263

Established Member
I can't say I support the idea of having politicians calling the shots where public transport is concerned, and am pleased franchising is unlikely to happen here in Chester. The private sector has much room for improvement, but it's better the devil you know, in my view.
Nope keep politicians away from.buses leave it to people who know what they are doing .

Yes I've seen unite although that has angered quite a few drivers like myself.
The latest tenders have seen huge expansion by first cymru and stagecoach however the likes of adventure travel, henleys etc have suffered. Richards brothers have decided to fight back and have registered some routes including the Fishguard Town bus won by first commercially.

I was asked to TUPE my answer was hell no!!. I won't go back to first unless I really have no other option.

Sounds all well and good on paper but believe me we can see the problems speeding towards us.

Revilo

it’s bad enough having DfT micro managing the trains, can’t say I’m keen for the state to interfere further in buses n Wales. The nine most frightening words are ‘Im from the Government and I’m here to help’.

AdamWW

Established Member
I'm all for this in principle, but thus far they have failed to integrate Trawscymru with the railway properly, e.g. the way connections miss at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Indeed the principle seems good to me too - it would be nice not have to pay heavy premiums for the temerity of needing to use different modes (or indeed just different bus companies) for one journey.

And I think it would be hard to argue that cities are best served by competing operators on the profitable routes and sparse service elsewhere, with no ability to cross-subsidise.

However...

The plan (unless changed since the consulation) to achieve good integration was for each area to submit their proposals then the timetables to all be imposed from a single central authority. This doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me. I'm all for timetables not changing every month but this doesn't sound like a way you'd get sufficient flexibility even if the first iteration was OK.

And it was clear they hadn't figured out how to keep their two municipal bus companies in a world of franchising.

it’s bad enough having DfT micro managing the trains, can’t say I’m keen for the state to interfere further in buses n Wales. The nine most frightening words are ‘Im from the Government and I’m here to help’.

I don't know how much you've traveled abroad, but in my experience there are plenty of countries with franchised or even directly state operated buses where it all works out rather well.

Fundee on Tay

I take a different view than many of the other posters on this thread.

Bus Deregulation was implemented in the late 1980s using provisions set out in the Transport Act 1985, and since then buses experienced a boom and then a serious retraction in many areas.

One area that has not seen such service fluctuation is London, which has franchised buses.

I am not wholly convinced of the case of franchising overall, and would prefer public sector competition within the current framework (essentially councils running their own buses, either commercially such as in Lothian - where the operator has effectively wiped out any competition, or running tendered routes in house, such as Highland are beginning to do).

In Tayside Stagecoach have just announced rather scathing cuts to commercial services, such as removing all daytime Monday-Saturday services on the popular 16 route from Dundee to Perth, with them saying that people should ‘take the M8 coach’ instead, a wholly unsuitable option for many people in villages with only one coach stop, and hard words for residents of Errol who are left with no option whatsoever. Would this situation have occurred in London?

Whilst franchising has its limitations and I certainly don’t wish to see political interference in transport I can’t help but say Wales is on the right lines. People should be served based on need, not on profitability, and in the current Council tendering process there are many communities who slip through the net.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The plan (unless changed since the consulation) to achieve good integration was for each area to submit their proposals then the timetables to all be imposed from a single central authority. This doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

How do the Swiss do it, I wonder? There must be some imposition in order that the buses connect with the trains.

I don't know how much you've traveled abroad, but in my experience there are plenty of countries with franchised or even directly state operated buses where it all works out rather well.

Switzerland is probably the one to look at for Wales, both for bus and rail. OK, wires up isn't so likely, but in a timetabling sense the integration requirements are very similar.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
How do the Swiss do it, I wonder? There must be some imposition in order that the buses connect with the trains.

Switzerland is probably the one to look at for Wales, both for bus and rail. OK, wires up isn't so likely, but in a timetabling sense the integration requirements are very similar.
They do but remember that as regards the Blaenau example you quoted, it wasn’t that they had neglected to coordinate bus and rail. It was that they coordinated the T22 with the T2 that in turn is coordinated with the T3.

Rail/bus coordination should be achieved where practical, not blindly and dogmatically pursued.

AdamWW

Established Member
The 1970s illustrated why cross subsidy doesn’t work

Do elaborate.

It would be interesting to know.

I agree that some central control makes sense to ensure integration between local buses and long distance services as well as trains.

I'm not sure that overall central control of local timetables will give the best outcomes though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Rail/bus coordination should be achieved where practical, not blindly and dogmatically pursued.

In the context of rural services in Wales, I completely disagree. Rail has to set the agenda as changing it is much more complex. You want to create a single transport network for rural Wales which all connects with (and where necessary waits for) everything at key designed nodes. But everything should be planned as one network with one balance sheet, one fares system and one timetable all totally agnostic of mode.

Basically, we want to do what the Swiss do - it is the only way to really succeed. I've done quite a lot of rail+bus journeys recently, and a great example is Cornwall which is very similar to the Welsh rural networks - I can get to say Newquay in about 6 hours from London, yet the last bit takes another 4 because services are infrequent and nothing connects properly (or connects too tight and I know full well connections won't be held).

Along similar lines, the timetable of the Windermere branch should be driving a lot of the Lake District tourist network.

In the context of urban service (e.g. Cardiff Bus) then frequency is king; in that context all routes being a minimum of 2 buses per hour, ideally 4-6, deals with the issue differently.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Do elaborate.

It would be interesting to know.

I agree that some central control makes sense to ensure integration between local buses and long distance services as well as trains.

I'm not sure that overall central control of local timetables will give the best outcomes though.
In that during the 1970s, it showed that the practice of cross subsidy effectively diverted funds for reinvestment into sustainable services away. Instead, there was an increasing burden on those good services but declining patronage meant that there were too many unsustainable services so the money was being used to prop those up and not in ensuring the good services thrived.

Also, a shortage of drivers and vehicles at a time of high inflation (sound familiar?) would see good services reduced (headways cut from every 20 to every 30mins) in order to protect those infrequent basket case routes.

This was what led to the National Bus Viable Network Project, later becoming Market Analysis Project, with both NBC and Scottish Bus Group.

In the context of rural services in Wales, I completely disagree. Rail has to set the agenda as changing it is much more complex. You want to create a single transport network for rural Wales which all connects with (and where necessary waits for) everything at key designed nodes. But everything should be planned as one network with one balance sheet, one fares system and one timetable all totally agnostic of mode.

Basically, we want to do what the Swiss do - it is the only way to really succeed. I've done quite a lot of rail+bus journeys recently, and a great example is Cornwall which is very similar to the Welsh rural networks - I can get to say Newquay in about 6 hours from London, yet the last bit takes another 4 because services are infrequent and nothing connects properly (or connects too tight and I know full well connections won't be held).

Along similar lines, the timetable of the Windermere branch should be driving a lot of the Lake District tourist network.

In the context of urban service (e.g. Cardiff Bus) then frequency is king; in that context all routes being a minimum of 2 buses per hour, ideally 4-6, deals with the issue differently.
I completely disagree with your disagreement! Bus plays a much greater role in North and Mid Wales and for people to suggest otherwise is folly. The idea that everything in that area should be built around an infrequent rail line in the Conwy Valley running every 3 hours….Nope.

Now does that mean that bus/rail integration shouldn’t be a whole lot better. Of course, it should be. Could you have better connections and facilities at Aberystwyth… yes, that’s a gimme. However, let’s be realistic in that aside from the Valleys and the North Wales main line, rail is very much secondary to bus.

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
I take a different view than many of the other posters on this thread.

Bus Deregulation was implemented in the late 1980s using provisions set out in the Transport Act 1985, and since then buses experienced a boom and then a serious retraction in many areas.

One area that has not seen such service fluctuation is London, which has franchised buses.

I am not wholly convinced of the case of franchising overall, and would prefer public sector competition within the current framework (essentially councils running their own buses, either commercially such as in Lothian - where the operator has effectively wiped out any competition, or running tendered routes in house, such as Highland are beginning to do).

In Tayside Stagecoach have just announced rather scathing cuts to commercial services, such as removing all daytime Monday-Saturday services on the popular 16 route from Dundee to Perth, with them saying that people should ‘take the M8 coach’ instead, a wholly unsuitable option for many people in villages with only one coach stop, and hard words for residents of Errol who are left with no option whatsoever. Would this situation have occurred in London?

Whilst franchising has its limitations and I certainly don’t wish to see political interference in transport I can’t help but say Wales is on the right lines. People should be served based on need, not on profitability, and in the current Council tendering process there are many communities who slip through the net.
My own view is that by the 1980s the previous regulatory and financial framework for the bus industry was no longer fit for purpose and change was necessary. Whether Deregulation (whether in exactly that form or not can be debated) was the right thing to do can be argued, but in the political framework of the time was reduction in subsidy / public funding / government control and the model followed that. There were also unintended consequences to the legislation change. There has been various (mostly)ineffective tinkerings over the last 35 years, but none of these have seriously attempted to deal with flaws / unintended consequences in the model that directly affected passengers. As with the previous regulatory framework, I think that the deregulation model has largely run its course, the financial, operating and patronage landscape having changed almost out of recognition to that of 1986. Bus company owner/management control of the network / fares / operations has not been a panacea.

Due to Covid, the finances of the bus industry have become much more reliant on public funding. In England at least, a fares initiative has been funded by Central Government which goes some way towards dealing with deep rooted differences preventing seamless ticketing, but there is much more that needs doing which , almost by definition, is very difficult for ostensibly competing private companies to take the revenue risk. Only franchising (i.e. the State taking the risk) is going to be able to get such far reaching changes to be made. I think we need to go through a period of franchising (over the whole country) to get some of those fundamental changes done.

We will find that Political control of the network / fares / operations will not be a panacea either. Instead of shareholder pressure and management indifference will be all sorts of pressure groups. There will be calls for deregulation (in some form of another) in the years to come, as public bodies fail to respond to market pressures. It will come, but the franchising period has the opportunities to reset some of the foundations so the flaws of the current system are not repeated.

I don't think that will happen much either - profitability will simply be replaced by public budget constraints, for which public transport will likely be squeezed to make up shortfalls in 'statutory' unlimited funding responsibilities, such as Adult and Child Social Care, Special Educational Needs etc which are currently out of control.

I completely disagree with your disagreement! Bus plays a much greater role in North and Mid Wales and for people to suggest otherwise is folly. The idea that everything in that area should be built around an infrequent rail line in the Conwy Valley running every 3 hours….Nope.
Integrated budgeting / funding of modes will inevitably mean a (much needed) focus on value for money, and replacement of buses by trains where this is the best value, and vice versa which is more likely in this case.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Integrated budgeting / funding of modes will inevitably mean a (much needed) focus on value for money, and replacement of buses by trains where this is the best value, and vice versa which is more likely in this case.
Absolutely agree. It’s pragmatism that is needed, not a slavish dogmatic to integration. For instance, why have the T1c when an integrated T1 with thru fares into the rail line at Carmarthen will be more cost effective?

Just hope that buses get a fair crack of the whip. You see how much has been spent on some of the stations in the Rhondda…

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Absolutely agree. It’s pragmatism that is needed, not a slavish dogmatic to integration. For instance, why have the T1c when an integrated T1 with thru fares into the rail line at Carmarthen will be more cost effective?

Having looked at the timetable I would seriously question the value of a one-a-day through service there - it's not even usefully timed for commuters, and there's a lot you can do with a bus and driver for two hours that isn't duplicating a perfectly good train service. But if it's profitable by all means keep it. Subsidising it would be a waste of money.

Just hope that buses get a fair crack of the whip. You see how much has been spent on some of the stations in the Rhondda…

It shouldn't be about who gets a fair crack of the whip - this is how the UK gets it wrong. It should be about how we provide a viable transport network (not bus or rail network) for Wales that allows for as many needs as possible without car ownership being necessary. This is the Swiss approach and Wales is ideal for it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Having looked at the timetable I would seriously question the value of a one-a-day through service there - it's not even usefully timed for commuters, and there's a lot you can do with a bus and driver for two hours that isn't duplicating a perfectly good train service. But if it's profitable by all means keep it. Subsidising it would be a waste of money.

It shouldn't be about who gets a fair crack of the whip. It should be about how we provide a viable transport network (not bus or rail network) for Wales that allows for as many needs as possible without car ownership being necessary. This is the Swiss approach and Wales is ideal for it.
I think you’re misinterpreting what I say; it’s more a guess of “the answer is Rail, now what’s the question”

Imagine what level of bus priority you could have for the cost of the improvements at stations like Dinas Rhondda (installing new lifts etc)? So does fair crack mean a balanced, reasoned approach to obtain best value? I think it should

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Imagine what level of bus priority you could have for the cost of the improvements at stations like Dinas Rhondda (installing new lifts etc)? So does fair crack mean a balanced, reasoned approach to obtain best value? I think it should

I am inclined to agree (and to be fair I have said in the past that I would trade a truly excellent Snowdonia bus network for a truncation of the Conwy Valley to Betws).

But the key is that it all links up properly. Otherwise journeys start becoming difficult. (And that would require some changes on rail - buses tend to be clockface, the North Wales Coast is a mess and needs sorting out).

RT4038

Established Member
Because 'integration' has economic consequences [all over the country] that are not palatable / affordable. The T1c exists for political reasons because the Concessionary Bus Passes are fully valid between Aberystwyth and Cardiff, whereas on the alternative feeding into a train they would only be valid between Aberystwyth and Carmarthen. The financial implication of giving Concessionary bus pass holders free rail travel is too much, but the odd through bus for a specific purpose can be afforded.

Need to walk before running - everybody wants cheaper through fares (every 'integrated' fare proposal is someone talking a scalp on the current fare setup, with no commensurate reduction in costs) and/or free concession fares on rail, but don't want to pay for the financial consequences. Extra business is going to take a while to build up (if it ever gets to the point of being a commercial proposition before additional capacity costs start kicking in) and in the meantime the shortfall has to be paid for. We aren't Switzerland - change isn't going to happen overnight (it didn't in Switzerland) and it seems unlikely that Swiss quantities of taxpayer funding are going to made available on a consistent long term basis for public transport in the short to medium term.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Because 'integration' has economic consequences [all over the country] that are not palatable / affordable. The T1c exists for political reasons because the Concessionary Bus Passes are fully valid between Aberystwyth and Cardiff, whereas on the alternative feeding into a train they would only be valid between Aberystwyth and Carmarthen. The financial implication of giving Concessionary bus pass holders free rail travel is too much, but the odd through bus for a specific purpose can be afforded.

Need to walk before running - everybody wants cheaper through fares (every 'integrated' fare proposal is someone talking a scalp on the current fare setup, with no reduction in costs) and/or free concession fares on rail, but don't want to pay for the financial consequences. Extra business is going to take a while to build up (if it ever gets to the point of being a commercial proposition before additional capacity costs start kicking in) and in the meantime the shortfall has to be paid for. We aren't Switzerland - change isn't going to happen overnight (it didn't in Switzerland) and it seems unlikely that Swiss quantities of taxpayer funding are going to made available on a consistent long term basis for public transport in the short to medium term.
I know about T1c - I wasn’t being deliberately contentious but illustrating that point. I might say that the concept of buses replacing trains- never in the court of public opinion!!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

And this itself is a problem. You don't want to artificially push people onto a mode by having single mode tickets. They are an anathema to an integrated multimodal transport network and should not exist, unless in very limited circumstances (e.g. a rail service with very poor capacity which is augmented by a bus service) you want to push people that way as you might by way of cheaper Advances on a given train service.

RT4038

Established Member
And this itself is a problem. You don't want to artificially push people onto a mode by having single mode tickets. They are an anathema to an integrated multimodal transport network and should not exist, unless in very limited circumstances (e.g. a rail service with very poor capacity which is augmented by a bus service) you want to push people that way as you might by way of cheaper Advances on a given train service.
That may well be, but there are significant financial challenges to an integrated multimodal transport network if you start where we are now. One of which is Concessionary fares, another is raising single mode fares to cross subsidise for same price multi modal journeys which will be reducing from their current level.

I might say that the concept of buses replacing trains- never in the court of public opinion!!
Writing from my bombproof underground shelter 'somewhere in England', those decisions are perhaps easier to take at a local level, and may well financially cushion the adverse expenses of introducing an integrated multi modal transport network......... ?

JKP

In that during the 1970s, it showed that the practice of cross subsidy effectively diverted funds for reinvestment into sustainable services away. Instead, there was an increasing burden on those good services but declining patronage meant that there were too many unsustainable services so the money was being used to prop those up and not in ensuring the good services thrived.

Also, a shortage of drivers and vehicles at a time of high inflation (sound familiar?) would see good services reduced (headways cut from every 20 to every 30mins) in order to protect those infrequent basket case routes.

This was what led to the National Bus Viable Network Project, later becoming Market Analysis Project, with both NBC and Scottish Bus Group.

Now does that mean that bus/rail integration shouldn’t be a whole lot better. Of course, it should be. Could you have better connections and facilities at Aberystwyth… yes, that’s a gimme. However, let’s be realistic in that aside from the Valleys and the North Wales main line rail is very much secondary to bus.
What has not been said in the above posts is that in Switzerland nearly all public transport outside the largest cities run to either an hourly or half hourly frequency. Therefore in the case of the Conwy Valley, trains and onward connections would have to run at a minimum hourly. There also is generally no overlapping of bus and train services so no express coach services.

slowroad

What has not been said in the above posts is that in Switzerland nearly all public transport outside the largest cities run to either an hourly or half hourly frequency. Therefore in the case of the Conwy Valley, trains and onward connections would have to run at a minimum hourly. There also is generally no overlapping of bus and train services so no express coach services.
Yes - but Switzerland is a rich country that can afford high subsidies and has a settlement pattern (typically lots of apartments) that favours public transport.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes - but Switzerland is a rich country that can afford high subsidies and has a settlement pattern (typically lots of apartments) that favours public transport.

Rural Switzerland is not densely populated and many people live in houses, and where it's flats they are much more spaced out than rows of British terraces.

slowroad

Rural Switzerland is not densely populated and many people live in houses, and where it's flats they are much more spaced out than rows of British terraces.
Density is not straightforward. Switzerland’s population is quite “clustered”, and the share of flats is very high. The blocks are often located close to transport hubs/routes. Very different from Wales, where most people live in houses in suburbs or small towns.

Dai Corner

Established Member
As I always find myself writing on threads like this, the public transport services we get generally have more to do with how much the politicians are prepared to spend than with their ownership and governance.

It's also worth noting that Wales got a new First Minister and Minister with responsibility for transport on Wednesday. They may well have different ideas to their predecessors.

baza585

As I always find myself writing on threads like this, the public transport services we get generally have more to do with how much the politicians are prepared to spend than with their ownership and governance.

It's also worth noting that Wales got a new First Minister and Minister with responsibility for transport on Wednesday. They may well have different ideas to their predecessors.
I'm not sure the return of Ken Skates bodes well for the future of public transport in Wales. Hope I'm wrong but he didn't do a great job last time he had that portfolio.

anthony263

Established Member
T1c is pointless as it skips Swansea and there's no morning service from Cardiff to Aberystwyth and back in the evening. If it was me I'd simply look at extending the T1 every 2 hours from Carmarthen to Swansea via Cross hands serving areas with no rail link.

Sundays you could certainly do with a train from Cardiff to Carmarthen leaving around 0700-0745 that gets to Carmarthen from 0850-095p to allow people to get an earlier arrival into Aberystwyth.

The VOG came up with the new timetable for the 321 Llantwit major to talbot Green service which is terrible so much so a lot of customers now have to share a taxi especially on the northern section between Talbot Green and Cowbridge. Buses don't connect with trains at Llantwit major either now

WAB

I think to make this work properly there will need to be management changes, such as putting TfW Rail and TfW Bus under the same set of management with a single set of network planners and fares policies.
https://amanwy.blogspot.com/2024/02/transport-for-wales-20.html

Both of these are long (too long to reproduce here!) but are very illuminating reads - suffice it to say there is a clear and strong vision for TfW to be an integrated organisation going forward.

Regrettably, it seems that the WG's strategy (and indeed, only viable strategy) is to use a small number of bus specialists to multi-skill existing rail staff to take on additional responsibilities, with a resultant lack of understanding of bus operations. This is because they inherited little in the way of bus expertise when they were created; some Welsh Government civil servants and Traveline employees. For joint rail and bus employees, the rail side of their work could receive more attention due to comfort through familiarity, the greater sexiness of rail projects and the greater funds available for rail.

They'd likely have trouble hiring bus expertise for the following reasons:

1. Bus companies are very slim now so not as much talent is available in general, and many are reluctant to invest in new talent
2. The last of the NBC and early dereg personnel are ageing out of the industry
3. Competition for talent is high due to multiple franchises coming on stream at once
4. Wales is not an attractive place to live for many people.