• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walsall to Brownhills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I notice that Railway Paths is preparing to sell off the former trackbed between Walsall and Brownhills. I'm not that familiar with the area, but given the amount of built up area this passes near to, is there any possibility of it being restored to rail use (or at least protected against development that might prevent any such use)?

Current Land Opportunities | Railway Paths | public routes, roads and paths suitable for cycling, walking, horseriding and wheel-chair use

We are also preparing to sell:

• Bottesford-Plungar (M005)
  • Walsall-Brownhills (M014)
  • Melton Mowbray (M023)
  • Bottesford, Grantham-Nottingham Line (M007)
  • West Derby Station, Liverpool, L12 7JA (NW012)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluenoxid

Established Member
I can see some interest from a mayoral authority. I think the challenge is that Aldridge is an easier restoration and service extension because the track is already there and (without knowing the area) possibly easier to achieve with battery

The Planner

Veteran Member
I suspect it may end up protected, though it needs lots of other schemes to ever have legs such as Round Oak Bescot, Worcester etc...

option

Aldridge is in some sort of pipeline at WMCA.
It's a pretty easy/cheap service extension, even with a new station & OLE (<5km), & can use existing stock/services.

As for Brownhills, I suspect WMCA will take it, as it's of no use to anyone else. (Though NCN 5 does use part of it, Coal Pool to Pelsall, is that due to be re-routed?)

In terms of any services on the route, Lichfield TV - Brownhills - Walsall is easy, but then does it go anywhere after Walsall?
It wouldn't be of much use as a Birmingham service, as it goes the wrong way until Walsall.
Wolverhampton?

martinsh

Established Member
In terms of any services on the route, Lichfield TV - Brownhills - Walsall is easy, but then does it go anywhere after Walsall?
It wouldn't be of much use as a Birmingham service, as it goes the wrong way until Walsall.
Wolverhampton?
I would run Wolverhampton - Walsall - Brownhills - Lichfield - Burton - Derby. Maybe extended at one or both ends.

WesternBiker

Aldridge is in some sort of pipeline at WMCA.
It is indeed: the West Midlands Combined Authority Board has prepared a proposal (here) for £2bn of enhancements including an extension to Aldridge and examination of further opening the Sutton Park line. Lots of other goodies in the package.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It is indeed: the West Midlands Combined Authority Board has prepared a proposal (here) for £2bn of enhancements including an extension to Aldridge and examination of further opening the Sutton Park line. Lots of other goodies in the package.
Aldridge is the only real goer at the moment though, basically because its pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.