• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was there ever an Oban - Edinburgh Waverley Direct service???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryBrown156

Hi
I wonder if anyone could clarify for me please if there was ever a regular direct service from Oban to Edinburgh Waverley?
I travel frequently from Glasgow Queen Street to Oban and have done so since the early 2000's, both to visit friends in Oban and also to explore the Hebrides (another hobby of mine :D)
However i'm unsure as to whether or not I can recall there being a service to/ from Edinburgh, I definitely can't recall there being one over the last 5 years, but during a discussion with my friend in Oban last week they mentioned to me that there used to be a direct service from Oban to Edinburgh Waverley that operated in the early 2000's

If there was such a service I wonder if anyone could provide me with a bit more info, such as the service frequency, how many months/years it operated for and the route ,
for example did it follow the same route and stopping patterns to Crianlarich as the Caledonian Sleeper or did it call at additional stations.

Thanks
Gary Brown

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if I have understood you correctly, but there is currently a Summer Sunday service:

0808 Edinburgh to Oban 1206
1711 Oban to Edinburgh 2109

From Edinburgh they are Pick Up Only at Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High and Dalmuir. After that they make full calls at Helensburgh Upper and then all stations to Oban. The reverse is true on the way back.

Last edited:

Martin66

I'm not sure if I have understood you correctly, but there is currently a Summer Sunday service:

0808 Edinburgh to Oban 1206
1711 Oban to Edinburgh 2109

From Edinburgh they are Pick Up Only at Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High and Dalmuir. After that they make full calls at Helensburgh Upper and then all stations to Oban. The reverse is true on the way back.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G81387/2017/07/02/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G81390/2017/07/02/advanced

Veteran Member
ISTR there being one on Sundays a few years ago, and even earlier (1981 apparently) a Deltic was used on a few Sundays.

The West Highland 156s are interworked with the rest of the fleet, and there have at various times been through services via Queen Street. I don't recall Edinburgh among them though it's not impossible.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
ISTR there being one on Sundays a few years ago, and even earlier (1981 apparently) a Deltic was used on a few Sundays.

Yes I remember that and I'm sure they used a standard E&G push pull set complete with DBSO.

D1009

Established Member
Yes I remember that and I'm sure they used a standard E&G push pull set complete with DBSO.
Yes, but it was more of a day excursion than a regular service, they even had a commentary over the PA complete with recorded music. It did run weekly though.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Regular Edinburgh - Oban services had ceased in the 1960s, when they closed Dunblane - Callendar - Crianlarich. Before then services had run from Edinburgh Princes St. & Glasgow Buchanan St, portions often combining or splitting at Stirling.

Later services from Edinburgh are as posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.