• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Water quality and maintenance of steam heating boilers

Rescars

Established Member
The current discussion about steam loco maintenance and the impact of water quality on boiler washouts (coinciding as it has with my descaling my electric kettle!) makes me wonder if similar considerations applied to the maintenance of the steam heating boilers fitted to the diesel fleet. Were these subject to similar washout cycles? Was consideration given to the sources of water to minimise mineral content or was the water supply at the relevant sheds/TMDs and stabling points softened where necessary? Anyone know much about this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

Can't comment with any authority, but given diesel locos with operational boilers were likely far more prevalent in the early diesel days, ie during last years of steam and beyond, I would have thought the water supply source(s) on depot would have been exactly the same as that used for outgoing steam, so likely such diesels were at same risk. I well remember travelling in steam heated Mk1's all over the country, but the use of SH boilers on diesels was already (late 70's) on the way out. Wonder if the demise of SH was partly due to boiler problems caused by water impurities? Just a thought.

Taunton

Established Member
Diesel loco boilers were prone to a wide range of causes of failure, one of the main reasons for needing a steam loco substitute in early times. Badly scaled boilers shutting down were one of 101 reasons for this. A concept called Automatic Blowdown was meant to remove dissolved particles from the water, but itself was not wholly reliable.

As with other things, USA diesel loco builders seemed to have got to grips with the issue more, and steam heat boilers were used far longer there, they were still put into Amtrak's new SDP40 diesels in the 1970s. Notably these had two boilers side-by-side, so if one shut down the other carried on.

USA boilers were used 12 months a year, as they drove steam-powered air conditioning as well. UK issues in October when heat was first turned on were substantial.

There was an interesting sideline in Modern Railways in the early 1960s about the morning Yorkshire Pullman. The chef in the kitchen used to look out before departure to see if the loco was steam or diesel, and if the latter would prepare much more porridge, knowing the train was going to be colder.

D Williams

Steam heat boilers were as reliable as the proverbial baby's backside! It wasn't uncommon to roster an additional fireman just to keep the boiler running.

ac6000cw

Established Member
On BR, didn't the use of a steam heat boiler require a fireman/secondman on the loco (to look after it)?

The cost of doing that was doubtless one of the reasons for phasing out steam heating (in addition to the boiler reliability issues, and the need to refill the water tank on the loco relatively frequently. The water tank also took up space which could otherwise be used for additional fuel capacity).