• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo station masterplan

davews

The pedestrian access certainly needs to be improved. Many years ago, when London was a new thing for me, getting out of Waterloo was a doddle, you just went over the footbridge and through the Shell building, kept going past the Festival Hall and across Hungerford Bridge,. You didn't even need any signposts, it was obvious all the way. It has got worse and worse over the years. Now when I want to get from the South Bank, ie the river, or from Waterloo Bridge, to the station, I always get confused and never sure which is the best way, frequently meeting blocked routes by building work. The occasional sign for Waterloo pointing in just the vague direction. When I eventually get Victoria Arch in view I have to negotiate multiple traffic controlled crossings, and then of course those stairs which even for an athletic person like me I feel unsafe on - accident waiting to happen as you say. The whole area needs rethinking, there are plenty of us who don't just jump on the tube.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Some aspects of these plans seem pretty good, I like the idea of using the old rail bridge to reach Waterloo East instead of the oddly bent pipe, the expanded concourse onto the cab road, and further reconnections of throughways and a new concourse using the undercroft.
Not sure I like some of the proposed towers, alas.
The problem with the old rail level bridge is that the tracks and platforms at both stations are at the same level, (give or take a couple of feet), so you’re still going to have to get over or under 3 of the 4 lines to/from Charing Cross, whichever end of the route you do it at.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The problem with the old rail level bridge is that the tracks and platforms at both stations are at the same level, (give or take a couple of feet), so you’re still going to have to get over or under 3 of the 4 lines to/from Charing Cross, whichever end of the route you do it at.

And you're more likely to need the other three platforms (the one nearest is for Charing Cross only).

Big Jumby 74

The area around the station is a dive. Mepham Street, Cab Road, Spur Road, and Station Approach Road are dark, cut-off, unwelcoming and unsafe-feeling
That is not a description I would give Waterloo, having worked there for 40 plus years. Mepham Street, perhaps, is not ideal, but then again there is no need for any pedestrian throughput along its entire length (as short as it is), as most people exiting Victory Arch and heading to the bus stops will divert through one of the arches under the SE lines.
As for Spur Road, Station Approach and cab road being 'dark and cut off', we will have to differ on that point. They serve a purpose, largely driven by the taxi trade. Perhaps we come from different generations!

Deepgreen

Established Member
I think the proposal to mount a number of storeys atop the main building is the most concerning - it is a magnificent frontage which would be hugely demeaned by this. The ability to pay for this sort of thing should not be at the cost of ruining a monument and landmark buildinfg.

Big Jumby 74

I think the proposal to mount a number of storeys atop the main building is the most concerning - it is a magnificent frontage which would be hugely demeaned by this.
Completely agree. There are even decorative aspects to the roof (of the building) that overlooks the train shed, which are again iconic in their small way to the rebuild of the 1920's. One could go for a fag break up there back in the day! I still don't get this obsession for building higher and higher (etc), as has been the case over the last few years in my town (not too far from yourself Deepgreen by all accounts), where there has been a council led tower block building frenzy, which has now created a wind tunnel in one open space, akin to that alongside the Union Jack Club at Waterloo (at times). One understands the need to make places accessible to all (I have my own mobility issues) but at times I think there is too much haste in the desire by some to sweep away parts of our heritage. Rant over.

YorksLad12

Established Member
  • The station is surprisingly hard to find unless you know where the entrance is. For such a huge important building surrounded by Central London on all sides, its entrances are tiny, tucked away, and not at all obvious. Mostly this is due to the unhinged decision to build elevated railway tracks to Charing Cross literally right in front of it, hiding its central-london-facing side which for every other terminus is its grand front façade. Unless one decides to demolish those tracks and open the station up properly, the best one can do is try and work around this the best one can (as the masterplan proposes).

Indeed. I sometimes stay at the Novotel Waterloo, which is actually opposite Lambeth Palace (Novotel and Ryanair have the same geography teachers). To walk south, you have to head north out of the station; any things that improve walking routes to the south of the station get my vote. I usually end up on the Bakerloo to Lambeth North and walking from there, which isn't fun.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I’m slightly confused that many on these Forums regard Liverpool Street, as drastically altered by BR, was the pinnacle of tasteful modernisation that must now be preserved at all costs. The work totally re-located the large war memorial, lifted it out of easy reading and bizarrely has the only lift entrance inserted beneath it.
What exactly is proposed to be ‘swept away’ at Waterloo?

Russel

Maybe they should look at the success (or not) of the Sidings before suggesting even more shops in the undercroft. Plans look impressive in some areas, and easier access to the south bank is long overdue, but much of this seems pie in the air.

Was at Waterloo yesterday and had a look around The Sidings, good use of space but very quiet, even during the evening peak.

camflyer

Was at Waterloo yesterday and had a look around The Sidings, good use of space but very quiet, even during the evening peak.

The Sidings never really recovered from Time Out pulling out of their plan to open one of their markets there. I can only imagine that the rents must be very high.

Russel

The Sidings never really recovered from Time Out pulling out of their plan to open one of their markets there. I can only imagine that the rents must be very high.

I only found myself down there because I'd followed the signs to the toilets and I don't think I was the only one.

Certainly strange how quiet it was compared to the main concourse.

MPW

I agree that there still needs to be an up and down (or down and up) but having the link to WLE be straight ahead from the main concourse is much more intuitive, and would likely be nicer environment than the current bridge (or else no point). Ramp to platforms could also be replaced by escalators and a proper concourse added. That could also be used to add a proper and direct ground level entrance to waterloo East (as opposed to what feels like a fire escape currently).

The distances aren't actually that far so probably not worth having travelator. Therefore time saved for seasoned commuters might be minimal. But they aren't the only station users (gen pop probably less familiar with station layouts than anyone who has ever posted on a rail forum).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I agree that there still needs to be an up and down (or down and up) but having the link to WLE be straight ahead from the main concourse is much more intuitive, and would likely be nicer environment than the current bridge (or else no point). Ramp to platforms could also be replaced by escalators and a proper concourse added. That could also be used to add a proper and direct ground level entrance to waterloo East (as opposed to what feels like a fire escape currently).
It won’t necessarily be ‘straight ahead’ to the low level bridge, as it doesn’t align with the existing concourse level route from the main concourse. It never did because the present building wasn‘t built until after the tracks were lifted. I suppose they could always knock a new route through though.

MPW

I remember reading that the BLE could include a change to approach to E&C (to better align towards old kent road) but cannot find where I saw it. Would there be any reason bakerloo path would be changed as far up the line as waterloo?

Taking it a bit too far now:
Send w&c to the current bakerloo depot, and move lambeth north closer to imperial War museum or St George's circus, and transfer to w&c? Maybe no purpose to it, other than finally being able to say w&c has been extended, easier track access, maybe higher capacity for the line overall?

It won’t necessarily be ‘straight ahead’ to the low level bridge, as it doesn’t align with the existing concourse level route from the main concourse. It never did because the present building wasn‘t built until after the tracks were lifted. I suppose they could always knock a new route through though.
The old rail bridge runs under the current ped bridge, pictured below. Looks like it's next to the back of m&s and taxi office. I guess either or both could be moved.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_231730_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_231730_Maps.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112

Dstock7080

Established Member
I remember reading that the BLE could include a change to approach to E&C (to better align towards old kent road) but cannot find where I saw it. Would there be any reason bakerloo path would be changed as far up the line as waterloo?
The current rebuilding of the Elephant & Castle site includes a new station box for the Bakerloo Line platforms, but will not be fitted out until funding for the future extension is secured.
There are no plans to change the route north of the station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I only found myself down there because I'd followed the signs to the toilets and I don't think I was the only one.

Certainly strange how quiet it was compared to the main concourse.

It is really, considering its probably easier to get to than Victoria place is from the bulk of Victoria. Is it mainly retail or restaurants ?

DerekC

Established Member
I like the piazza effect outside the main entrance - and the undercroft, although I do wonder how much of the space could really be made available. given the fact that the Waterloo & City station occupies quite a lot of space at or just below that level. Changing the accesses to the Northern, Bakerloo and Jubilee lines at deeper level would be very expensive. I hope it won't be a limited-funds bodge!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Removing the footbridge was certainly a stupid idea and clearly one that they've not been able to justify.

fandroid

Established Member
That is not a description I would give Waterloo, having worked there for 40 plus years. Mepham Street, perhaps, is not ideal, but then again there is no need for any pedestrian throughput along its entire length (as short as it is), as most people exiting Victory Arch and heading to the bus stops will divert through one of the arches under the SE lines.
As for Spur Road, Station Approach and cab road being 'dark and cut off', we will have to differ on that point. They serve a purpose, largely driven by the taxi trade. Perhaps we come from different generations!
The thing that always strikes me entering and leaving Waterloo on foot via the Victory Arch is that it's a horrendous muddle of conflicting flows, pedestrian and vehicle. If you've ever walked onwards to the Royal Festival Hall, you'll know that situation continues almost until you're right there. On many evenings, there are large numbers of pedestrians going to and fro, all trying to dodge buses, coaches, taxis and lorries and negotiating dodgy ground surfaces too.

It is really dingy in places, not even shabby chic, and there are all manner of muddled level changes near to the station itself. Waterloo is my London Terminus. I love it, and I want it to be up there with Kings Cross - St. Pancras.

Last edited:

Brush 4

Yes, adding ramps or lifts to the footbridge would have sorted it for everyone, difficult though that may have been engineering wise. Instead, in the false name of 'equality', everyone now has to take the same risks at street level. Equality of danger, not equality of safety.

camflyer

The thing that always strikes me entering and leaving Waterloo on foot via the Victory Arch is that it's a horrendous muddle of conflicting flows, pedestrian and vehicle. If you've ever walked onwards to the Royal Festival Hall, you'll know that situation continues almost until you're right there. On many evenings, there are large numbers of pedestrians going to and fro, all trying to dodge buses, coaches, taxis and lorries and negotiating dodgy ground surfaces too.

It is really dingy in places, not even shabby chic, and there are all manner of muddled level changes near to the station itself. Waterloo is my London Terminus. I love it, and I want it to be up there with Kings Cross - St. Pancras.

Go back a few decades and whoever could have guessed that Kings Cross and St Pancras would ever be held up as an example of good station design! Back in the 90s, Waterloo was probably in the best condition of any of the mainline terminus stations but it has been caught up and overtaken by others so a revamp is well overdue.

Taunton

Established Member
It wasn't done in the name of 'equality? It was done because the redevelopers of Elizabeth house refused (and weren't legally required) to have a hole for the footbridge in the redevelopment and to compensate for the amount of extra passengers that'd cause outside the front they needed the underpass closed too.
It was, Lambeth Council made a specific point of this when the footbridge was closed, and how it was their "policy" to have surface crossings for this reason, no steps. Someone can doubtless find the old statement.

michael8

Yes, adding ramps or lifts to the footbridge would have sorted it for everyone, difficult though that may have been engineering wise. Instead, in the false name of 'equality', everyone now has to take the same risks at street level. Equality of danger, not equality of safety.
With the Shell Centre redevelopment (new apartment blocks etc), a new lift was actually added to this footbridge ! But I think it's all gone now.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It was, Lambeth Council made a specific point of this when the footbridge was closed, and how it was their "policy" to have surface crossings for this reason, no steps. Someone can doubtless find the old statement.
I remember reading the main Elizabeth House and York Road planning application on Lambeth website, (the area alongside the Eurostar station), and I’m sure it’s included somewhere in there as a council policy. At least that’s definitely the impression I got. wouldn’t like to find it again, it was a couple of years ago.

Russel

It is really, considering its probably easier to get to than Victoria place is from the bulk of Victoria. Is it mainly retail or restaurants ?

I only nipped down to use the toilets so didn't really pay much attention to what else was down there but a couple of restaurants from what I remember.

Is there any other toilets at Waterloo? I'm sure the last time I was there they were just off the concourse somewhere but that was a few years ago now.

davews

The main toilets on the north end of the concourse have been closed for refurbishment since spring 2023 (the notice says 'we are freshening up') and not due to reopen until June. There are also some portabin ones at the south end.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I only nipped down to use the toilets so didn't really pay much attention to what else was down there but a couple of restaurants from what I remember.

Is there any other toilets at Waterloo? I'm sure the last time I was there they were just off the concourse somewhere but that was a few years ago now.

They were until recently, although its been portaloos on the cab road the last few times I've been there.

Taunton

Established Member
The main toilets on the north end of the concourse have been closed for refurbishment since spring 2023 (the notice says 'we are freshening up') and not due to reopen until June [2024].
15 months ? Let me introduce NR to a mechanical and electrical contractor who can install 100 complete bathrooms in 100 rooms of a new-build hotel (Premier Inn/Travelodge/ HolidayInn Express style) in about four weeks ...

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

It's also pretty dire if you want to cycle there. Coming from the East, my experience is of having to navigate that awful roundabout that surrounds the imax, then go a short way down York Road (which is not cycle-friendly) until you stumble upon the shared cycle/foot way up Cab Road - which is much too narrow to accommodate the cyclists and pedestrians. Then there are vastly insufficient bike racks for the demand. If the plan can sort those kinds of issues out, I'll be very happy.

Also - not directly related to the station but seems to be within the scope of the plan: Trying to get to Waterloo Bridge from the East is also a nightmare on a bike - requiring either navigating that roundabout, or making a (hard-to-find and unintuitive) detour along Cornwall Road and Upper Ground.

Ramp to platforms could also be replaced by escalators and a proper concourse added. That could also be used to add a proper and direct ground level entrance to waterloo East (as opposed to what feels like a fire escape currently).

Yeah, Waterloo East badly needs some kind of concourse. I guess to be most useful to passengers who actually are exiting (as opposed to getting another train from Waterloo) it would be better for the concourse to be at street level - and so, below rather than above the tracks.

The absolute ideal would be to just rebuild the platforms further West, so the station can really become a part of Waterloo, but that would be expensive and I'm pretty sure is not in the plans.