• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waverley Princes Street escalators. Time for serious action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
I wasn't aware of plans for a direct lift up to the North Bridge. What is the proposed location? As it happens what I still think of as the Carlton Hotel (across the road from the Scotsman ) has submitted plans for substantial internal alterations. I wonder if they could be persuaded to incorporate a lift from Market Street to serve the public as well as their own clients? It's a lift to that side which would be most useful, giving access (when the bridge works are finally complete ) to all Southbound buses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I have waited 45 years but I am finally going to stay the Balmoral Hotel this week. After arriving at Waverley behind 47421 on Saturday 20th May 1978 and not being able to afford the £42 for a night's stay I have been saving my shillings and taken advantage of the hotels winter offer.
Of course it was the North British Hotel back in the day, and as I seem to remember, there were no escalators, just the Waverley steps to get up to Princes Street.
Around that date I would come up on the sleeper from Birmingham, use the hotel lift up to the NB lobby, and walk round to the restaurant for a full Scottish breakfast (proper porridge and cream).
Then get the bus out to Dalkeith and arrive at the office before the locals...
At the end of the day, back on the 1735 Midland Scot with dinner after Carstairs (the restaurant car always went in the Glasgow portion).
I believe the lift up to the hotel lobby is no longer available (to passengers at least).

Connoisseurs of broken escalators/travelators should study those at Manchester Airport, linking the station to the terminals.
They were out of use for many months, possibly years, awaiting repairs - are they even back in operation yet?
They are indoors (well, inside a covered bridge).

Altnabreac

Established Member
I have waited 45 years but I am finally going to stay the Balmoral Hotel this week. After arriving at Waverley behind 47421 on Saturday 20th May 1978 and not being able to afford the £42 for a night's stay I have been saving my shillings and taken advantage of the hotels winter offer.
Of course it was the North British Hotel back in the day, and as I seem to remember, there were no escalators, just the Waverley steps to get up to Princes Street.

The Balmoral always brings to mind the (possibly apocryphal) story of a very senior London media executive who late at night migrated down to the Balmoral bar from the George Hotel during the TV festival once and demanded a Gin & Tonic.

“Madam” said the barman “I’m afraid after 11pm the bar is only open to residents.”

“OK” she replies, “I want a room and a Gin & Tonic!”

Enjoy your stay. Always excellent service and friendly staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.