• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML photography / spotting locations around Milton Keynes

Belfastmarty

In a few weeks time I'm arriving on an early morning flight to Luton. I have a few hours spare before meeting family in Milton Keynes, so I'd like to spend some time spotting / photographing on the WCML in that general vicinity. I will have a hire car, and ideally I'd like a country location, rather than urban or a station. So far, inspection of Google Earth hasn't thrown up too many promising spots. Can anyone with some local knowledge advise some suitable locations please ? Any help appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Partly depends on what sort of stuff you'd like. Wolverton offers 3 good spots:
- the station itself, which shows the Tilt off to it's full effect (it's a very sharp curve). The station is unbarriered as well, but parking can be awkward.
- the nature reserve just north of the station, where you can get some good shots looking up to the viaduct. Especially if you go a bit further away for the longer angle, you can see trains on the viaduct quite clearly from the bird hides https://maps.app.goo.gl/mWSRwZ9Z7N6nS7F27. This is probably a 30-minute walk from the station at most.
- the 2nd bridge south of the station (H2 Millers Way) gives a good high angle over the lines, including the depot shunting sidings between the slow lines. If you're lucky/prepared you can see some very interesting things. IIRC The footway is wide on the north side of the bridge but effectively non-existent on the south side so you don't have the widest target. About 15 minutes walk from the station.

Wolverton Works is also worth a look from the Aldi Car Park, but not sure there's any good photo opportunities there. If you do stop at Wolverton I can recommend the Ole Tapas bar for lunch and Biergarten micro-pub in some of the old carriage works for refreshment, if they're open.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Would you have time to get to Berkhamstead? The castle is free entry and gives a good photographic aspect...

1717514245162.png

andythebrave

- the nature reserve just north of the station, where you can get some good shots looking up to the viaduct. Especially if you go a bit further away for the longer angle, you can see trains on the viaduct quite clearly from the bird hides https://maps.app.goo.gl/mWSRwZ9Z7N6nS7F27. This is probably a 30-minute walk from the station at most.
Yes, Haversham & Little Linford viaduct is a good spot and is searchable on Google maps. There are some decent enough car parking spots nearby. If you're going to be there a while it would be prudent to take some supplies.

Belfastmarty

Thanks to all who replied - there's some good suggestions there which I wouldn't have picked up otherwise. (And to @zwk500 for the food and drink recommendations too.)