• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Power Supply & Auto Transformer Upgrade

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
They take a lot more from the OLE than the 221s!
(The 221s ran at least one, and usually two of the trains per hour out of Euston Pre Covid).
But DB stopping using their class 90s has decreased the OLE load...
Is the solution part of the CP7 plan?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Does that mean the 805s will need to run on diesel throughout until that work is done, I guess?

No, as they won’t meet the timings on diesel.

But DB stopping using their class 90s has decreased the OLE load...
Is the solution part of the CP7 plan?

The FOCs can, of course, switch back to electric haulage at any time. And there’s a bunch of 99s about to rock up; let’s hope that they don’t show that the power supply is too flakey!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bringing this thread up again, I'm wondering what the current process of the WCML Power Supply Upgrade is, having noticed ATF supports up on sections of the route (sans wires) for a number of years now.

I know Whitmore - Weaver Jct is waiting on Crewe ATFS being installed/commissioned, and I think Kings Langley - North Wembley is still waiting on Bushey ATFS being commissioned, but a curious question is posed by a gap still using Return Conductors between Euxton Jct & Carnforth (the SATS/AFTS for which is slightly north of the station, based on Google Maps observations).
Is there due to be an ATFS in the Preston area in the near future?

Digging around on Twitter, I found out that the groundwork is also there to extend ATF operation into Scotland, with the existing feeder at Elvanfoot allegedly ATF-ready.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Thread reopened with some posts from this thread transferred:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
When I was home (UK Preston) early September, insulators etc in position but wires missing from Euxton - Preston Station - past my house in Broughton (start of Barton loop) to Catterall. So still a fair but to do.

59CosG95

Established Member
When I was home (UK Preston) early September, insulators etc in position but wires missing from Euxton - Preston Station - past my house in Broughton (start of Barton loop) to Catterall. So still a fair but to do.
The Euxton - Preston - Catterall - Hest Bank - Carnforth stretch has probably been like that for the last 10 years!

A more recent development further south was the installation of some (but not all) ATF stovepipes on the portals between Carpenders Park & Bushey, although the insulators were never added.
(IIRC there was a change of contractor mid-work)

59CosG95

Established Member
I've noticed ATF insulators & ducting fitted under bridges, with no wires, around Apsley.

Been like that for at least a couple of years.
Correct; observations show that the ATF on the Down Fast side runs from Anchor Portal G/20/10 (nr Gallows Hill) to mast G/22/30 just south of Apsley station, while the Up Slow side ATF runs from MPA Portal G/21/19 to Anchor Portal G/22/19.
Further north, the Up side ATF reappears again at portal G/24/02 (parallel to Hardings Close), but stop at MPA portal G/24/16, immediately south of Hemel Hempstead station.

snowball

Established Member
Penwortham sorts that though.
Is something planned there? Penwortham has not been mentioned in this thread before, but I see there's a major 400kV grid nucleus there, within a few km of the WCML and the Blackpool line.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is something planned there? Penwortham has not been mentioned in this thread before, but I see there's a major 400kV grid nucleus there, within a few km of the WCML and the Blackpool line.
New feeder is planned.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Yes there used to be a power station right there in the vicinity and there are huge pylons to get across the Ribble for the old days when ships used to go there. So yes 400kV lines in vicinity.

Edvid

Established Member
There's a 2022 map of the WCML that's coloured in terms of traction power capability - found in a Rail Engineer article.

03-3-696x957.jpg

59CosG95

Established Member
Is the AT wire operational on Manchester-Liverpool and Manchester-Euxton?
I believe so, yes. I think Penwortham should relieve some of the yellow area south of Preston; once Crewe ATFS is commissioned, that should help a lot too.
Harker ATFS (north of Carlisle) should help south of there and across the border.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There's a 2022 map of the WCML that's coloured in terms of traction power capability - found in a Rail Engineer article.

03-3-696x957.jpg
Interesting article but have to say was surprised to read this

For example, an overloaded feeder outside London required the closure of all four tracks for 10 minutes at a cost of circa £1 million. Frequent short outages also present a significant maintenance workload as switchgear oil must be filtered and refilled every 30 operations.
Surely they've eliminated all the 1960's oil filled switchgear by now? If not they should have recycled some of the redundant VCBs off the ECML this shouldn't be a restriction to operations.

thecrofter

Interesting article but have to say was surprised to read this

Surely they've eliminated all the 1960's oil filled switchgear by now? If not they should have recycled some of the redundant VCBs off the ECML this shouldn't be a restriction to operations.
Certainly not. From memory, the K11 sites still remaining in what was LNW South are:
Feeder Stations:- Washwood Heath, Willenhall, Stafford (hot standby)
TSCs:- Camden, Coventry, Berskwell, Marston Green, Stechford, Perry Bar, Birmingham New Street, Coseley, Wolverhampton, Gailey

Plus a few former TSCs still acting as traction fed Signal Supply Points.

A major task to renew all these sites particularly the Feeder Stations and New Street where the Re-signalling Project used up any spare land where a replacement could go!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Certainly not. From memory, the K11 sites still remaining in what was LNW South are:
TSCs:- Camden, Coventry, Berskwell, Marston Green, Stechford, Perry Bar, Birmingham New Street, Coseley, Wolverhampton, Gailey

A major task to renew all these sites particularly the Feeder Stations and New Street where the Re-signalling Project used up any spare land where a replacement could go!
Oh thanks for the update and pretty surprised thats still on the main line mind you old switchgear was pretty rugged. Doesn't seem logical that given amount of money invested in ECML in replacing much younger kit there are no plans here to get rid of it or was a case the ATF system should have eliminated it but project was curtailed due to being budget.

Elecman

Established Member
Oh thanks for the update and pretty surprised thats still on the main line mind you old switchgear was pretty rugged. Doesn't seem logical that given amount of money invested in ECML in replacing much younger kit there are no plans here to get rid of it or was a case the ATF system should have eliminated it but project was curtailed due to being budget.
K11 gear is virtually bomb proof when maintained properly.

New Street could be accommodated in the basement of the former PSB just needs the old redundant air compressors removing.