• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCRC Exemption from CDL (central door locking) regulations until September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The £7m seems a bit excessive to me. On a Saphos trip once, one of the crew told me it had cost LSL around £30k per coach to fit CDL to their Mk 1s. I think I even read a similar figure in one of the magazines as well.
The saving in stewards' wages would surely repay that within a season or two?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Given the money that they have made and presumably will continue to make by effectively operating the Hogwarts Express twice a day for a large chunk of the year, this position seems ridiculous and whilst the seven million pounds outweigh for the initial fitment work is hefty, they as others were have said would soon claw it back.

The potentially Mr trick by not going for some leveling up funding on culture grounds in conjunction with the tourist obsessed Scottish government
Levelling Up funding is administered by the UK Government, and they are certainly not allocating it so as to do any favours for the Scottish Government

stuartl

Does the £7 million figure apply to the whole of their charter operation rather than just the Jacobite ?

trebor79

Established Member
Levelling Up funding is administered by the UK Government, and they are certainly not allocating it so as to do any favours for the Scottish Government
I'm not convinced using it to subsidise a private company to continue to operate a lucrative tourist train trip would be a proper use of such funds.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The £7m seems a bit excessive to me. On a Saphos trip once, one of the crew told me it had cost LSL around £30k per coach to fit CDL to their Mk 1s. I think I even read a similar figure in one of the magazines as well.
Even if it is £7 million ( which I don't think it is as I'm sure they haven't got 233 carriages to fit! ) they can certainly afford it:

Link and screenshot show WCRC's last reported financial position, that of 2022, with a healthy net worth of £3 million, cash in bank being £4 million. This is a much healthier position than most companies display and not bad for the first full post-virus year in a sector that was hit more heavily than most by the restrictions.

1700837677238.png

12LDA28C

Established Member

Not necessarily comparable if LSL vehicles are dual braked/air only and WCRC are vac-only, the system used and hence the applicable costs would be rather different although £7m does seem a lot.

I read elsewhere that the CDL uses compressed air which of course is readily available in an air-braked vehicle but not in a vacuum-braked one.
Mabye the original ones but surely retrofitted ones would just be a wire along the length of the set + some electromagnets or servo controlled lock bolts. I don't really know how the technical specifics work but all their coaches have some communication connection between them for the PA

Dai Corner

Established Member
Mabye the original ones but surely retrofitted ones would just be a wire along the length of the set + some electromagnets or servo controlled lock bolts. I don't really know how the technical specifics work but all their coaches have some communication connection between them for the PA
I don't know the technicalities either but hopefully somebody who does will be along to explain.

paul1609

Established Member
In
I don't know the technicalities either but hopefully somebody who does will be along to explain.
The problem is that the early MK1 coaches have only a low voltage lighting system fed by a dynamo. The typical central door locking solenoid has run at 100volts and it is energise to lock so that in the event of failure it releases. You can't power such a system off the existing coach batteries so you are looking at a new power source and power and control lines running the length of the trains.
For coaches and locos with air brakes you can use the air as the power. With coaches with electric train heating and a generator or diesel loco it's much easier as they already have the power line.
Mk 1 coaches are generally only operating on a derogation so it's difficult to justify the investment as the Orr may require them to be withdrawn in X number of years.
For the avoidance of doubt this in no way a defence by me of West Coast, but the engineering and financial arguments seem sound

In

The problem is that the early MK1 coaches have only a low voltage lighting system fed by a dynamo. The typical central door locking solenoid has run at 100volts and it is energise to lock so that in the event of failure it releases. You can't power such a system off the existing coach batteries so you are looking at a new power source and power and control lines running the length of the trains.
For coaches and locos with air brakes you can use the air as the power. With coaches with electric train heating and a generator or diesel loco it's much easier as they already have the power line.
Mk 1 coaches are generally only operating on a derogation so it's difficult to justify the investment as the Orr may require them to be withdrawn in X number of years.
For the avoidance of doubt this in no way a defence by me of West Coast, but the engineering and financial arguments seem sound
Couldn't you use the heating circuit, I don't think they are steam heated anymore

paul1609

Established Member
Couldn't you use the heating circuit, I don't think they are steam heated anymore
As I understand it both sets of the Jacobite are steam heated stock although as a summer operation it's not heated.
If you bring in electric heated stock it needs either a diesel loco or generator coach or other power source.

GC class B1

The BR designed central door locking system fitted to LHCS uses an air operated bolt on the door surround that engages with a striking plate on top of the door. The system required new jumper cables fitted for the control system. If the Jacobite trains always have a diesel locomotive or generator coach then it may be feasible to fit a similar system with the compressed air and electrical supply (110 volts) provided by the diesel locomotive or generator coach.

paul1609

Established Member
I dont think the Jacobite has either a diesel loco or generator. I understand that the use of a Diesel because of the length of the loops requires the removal of a coach and complicates the steam loco run rounds.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The BR designed central door locking system fitted to LHCS uses an air operated bolt on the door surround that engages with a striking plate on top of the door. The system required new jumper cables fitted for the control system. If the Jacobite trains always have a diesel locomotive or generator coach then it may be feasible to fit a similar system with the compressed air and electrical supply (110 volts) provided by the diesel locomotive or generator coach.
A static converter could step up the 24V from the coach lighting system to 110V to power the solenoid valves. If the loading on the dynamo is an issue some of the incandescent bulbs could be replaced by LEDs. But the compressed air supply could be more challenging if the coaches are vacuum braked.

paul1609

Established Member
A static converter could step up the 24V from the coach lighting system to 110V to power the solenoid valves. If the loading on the dynamo is an issue some of the incandescent bulbs could be replaced by LEDs. But the compressed air supply could be more challenging if the coaches are vacuum braked.
The batteries and dynamos are a well known issue with maintaining just the lighting on early MK1 coaches especially on low speed runs there's no way they could maintain static convertors for CDL even with LEDs.

ThePeakNed

Surely the solution to the problem of Mk1s and CDL, is, erm, just use Mk2s..?

Are Mk2s cleared for Mallaig...

1Q18

Surely the solution to the problem of Mk1s and CDL, is, erm, just use Mk2s..?

Are Mk2s cleared for Mallaig...
They are. But there is still the issue that the steam locomotives used are generally vacuum-brake only - earlier, vac brake Mk2s will have the same issues here as the Mk1s and the later Mk2s which already have CDL are air brake only and need a generator or ETS-fitted diesel for lighting and heating.

I’m not defending WCRC here, they’ve had decades to find a solution instead of burying their corporate head in the sand.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Exemption extended to the end of February.
An ORR spokesperson said “ORR has granted WCRC a new three-month exemption from 1 December 2023 to 29 February 2024 to enable it to operate whilst its judicial review is determined”.

D6130

Established Member
Have just read an article in the Scotsman (Sorry, can't do a link from my phone) stating that the Scottish Railway Preservation Society have had to suspend their programme of main line rail tours for the foreseeable future because of the same issue with their mark 1 stock....plus the need for expensive strengthening of the carriage ends. As a result they will lose thousands of Pounds of income every year. Are there any generous millionaire rail enthusiasts out there?

Greybeard33

Established Member
The photo also shows why you cant put a diesel loco on the back without shortening the train and reducing the income.
DMUs have underfloor diesel engines powerful enough to propel the train as well as provide hotel power. Would it not be possible to equip one of the Mk1 carriages in the rake with a small diesel or petrol power pack specifically to supply compressed air and power to the CDL system? Keep the vacuum brakes, steam heating and dynamo lighting, so very little power required and no need to reduce the passenger accommodation.

trebor79

Established Member
DMUs have underfloor diesel engines powerful enough to propel the train as well as provide hotel power. Would it not be possible to equip one of the Mk1 carriages in the rake with a small diesel or petrol power pack specifically to supply compressed air and power to the CDL system? Keep the vacuum brakes, steam heating and dynamo lighting, so very little power required and no need to reduce the passenger accommodation.
It might be possible but would cost a lot of money for design/certification/safety. You'd probably need to fireproof the floor, install some noise insulation. Where is the exhaust going to go? Where do the radiators go etc?
TBH it would be quicker, easier, cheaper and cheaper to run to install sat 20kWH of LiFePO batteries in the brake compartment with an inverter to supply a CDL system as well as the lighting circuits etc. Just charge with shore power each evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.