• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather disruption Friday 26 November onwards - Storm Arwen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

haggishunter

Is this the first instance of a precautionary cancelling of services on a main line due to a wind warning?

Don't remember long stretches of major roads like the A1 (or major roads other than bridges for that matter) being closed as a precautionary measure for wind either. I imagine the byways and lanes will be busier than usual?
The A1 section is centred on a bridge that is vulnerable to significant topographic wind funnelling in certain directions - it’s been closed before and traffic diverted onto an older lower level route.

anthony263

Established Member
Cardiff to swansea reduced to a blanket 40mph.

I'm out in.the early morning in a bus so I'm going to have my work cut out for me

mad_rich

Tempting fate but I’m at home in Alnwick and it’s mildly blustery and a light dusting of snow. Nothing unusual at all for a winter in Northumberland. Few trees down in exposed areas but that happens in July up here
In Newcastle it's been wild. Was up on Simonside this afternoon and it was pretty windy, but nothing compared to this evening.

I was supposed to be going down to London tomorrow, but rather glad not to be.

Bayum

Established Member
Im down in north Leeds. If this is just a handful of what everyone is getting up north then crikey.

MoleStation

After 20years away I'm back living in Consett. Still waiting for the wind to start. And this isn't snow, for cryin out loud!!

GuyGibsonVC

The roads and A1 in Northumberland are wild with some roads now closed.

The Metro between Newcastle and the Coast is off with debris on the line.

And on the ECML, the wires are down over both roads just North of Morpeth.

pitdiver

My wife, myself and our friends went out for a meal this evening in Kirkwall. We were going to have a walk along the harbour but the wind was so strong we could hardly walk.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Seems that these precautions are therefore entirely justifiable.

"Route proving" to happen therefore at first light. One assumes.

AY1975

Established Member
I had some tentative plans for some urban exploring this weekend, knocked on the head.
Me too, I've decided to cancel my plans to get a Northern £10 day ticket tomorrow, which is the last Saturday of the current offer and for which I had saved three tokens that won't now be used. The Northern website is advising against non-essential travel tomorrow.

At least I did one the Saturday before last, though.

bramling

Veteran Member
Me too, I've decided to cancel my plans to get a Northern £10 day ticket tomorrow, which is the last Saturday of the current offer and for which I had saved three tokens that won't now be used. The Northern website is advising against non-essential travel tomorrow.

At least I did one the Saturday before last, though.

Definitely a day to stay at home, even in the southern half of the country by the looks of it. Hopefully it will turn out to be less of an issue down here, but not worth taking the risk if one doesn't need to.

Have to say this year has been one of the most miserable weather-wise I can remember in recent times, especially in the southern half of the country. We could have really done with a decent summer and autumn, but didn't really get it.

londonmidland

Established Member
Reports of poor railhead conditions in various locations, leading to trains overshooting platforms. Delays are going to be inevitable, understandably due to defensive driving. It seems the wind is not the only issue here.

jkkne

Tyne and Wear Metro have suspended service for the rest of the evening due to conditions

Banham7

Reports of poor railhead conditions in various locations, leading to trains overshooting platforms. Delays are going to be inevitable, understandably due to defensive driving. It seems the wind is not the only issue here.
Definitely, was outbound on 801101 today and on inbound return to KGX, marked as non-stop at Doncaster, LNER reports "operational incident", signal log shows it passed P1 Entry and Exit signal within seconds.

DanNCL

Established Member
Definitely, was outbound on 801101 today and on inbound return to KGX, marked as non-stop at Doncaster, LNER reports "operational incident", signal log shows it passed P1 Entry and Exit signal within seconds.
That must have been scary for those onboard...

Storm has definitely arrived in Cheshire. According to Accuweather: Current temp 5 Celsius but real feel of -7 Celsius. Winds averaging 56 km/hr with gusts up to 105 km/hr.

And from what I can hear from my living room, Accuweather is right

DJS76

I've just travelled back to London having spent a few days in Edinburgh. Was booked on the 16:12 Lumo service, was keeping an eye on the trains as it was obvious from the weather I was experiencing that delays would be inevitable. Then just after 3pm I checked and noticed that the Lumo service had been cancelled. My first thought was to get to Waverley Station (I was with my wife) and try and find out what to do. I found a member of LNER staff who said he didn't know what Lumo's plans were but helpfully gave me a number to call. That's where the helpfulness ended as when I eventually got through to Lumo, the person I spoke to was only interested in telling me that the call was being recorded and also didn't seem to have any idea what was going on with the weather.
We made our way to the travel centre to be told that the last train leaving Edinburgh heading south was the 15:30 LNER service. With a need to get back to London tonight due to young children being looked after. We had to shell out £160 for 2 tickets to London and headed for platform 2 (along with hundreds of other people) only for a platform alteration meaning a mad rush to platform 6. We managed to squeeze on but it was standing room only. Left Edinburgh 10 mins late and it was a pretty slow crawl to our first stop at Berwick where we arrived 40 mins late. We had to make u scheduled stops at Alnmouth, Durham, Doncaster and Grantham eventually arriving into King's X 80 minutes late. I'm hoping that we can claim a full refund on those tickets under delay repay rules as I shouldn't imagine getting much response from Lumo (you get what you pay for). Bad weather happens and I'm just glad we made it home (and also managed to get a seat from York!).

stuart100100

Merseyrail Northern Lines having issues....trees down around Aughton Park, Birkdale and Kirkby so all three lines part suspended

Last edited:

Established Member
To put this into some context of why they implement lune closures.
Between Newcastle and Edinburgh, as of 2230, the Overhead lines are damaged/on the ground in at least 8 separate places.
And Beriwck station has also suffered some damage to the station roof (a section has come away).
Sensible decisions based on the weather along the east coast, where reports of wind speeds of up to 90-100mph in certain places.

I've just travelled back to London having spent a few days in Edinburgh. Was booked on the 16:12 Lumo service, was keeping an eye on the trains as it was obvious from the weather I was experiencing that delays would be inevitable. Then just after 3pm I checked and noticed that the Lumo service had been cancelled. My first thought was to get to Waverley Station (I was with my wife) and try and find out what to do. I found a member of LNER staff who said he didn't know what Lumo's plans were but helpfully gave me a number to call. That's where the helpfulness ended as when I eventually got through to Lumo, the person I spoke to was only interested in telling me that the call was being recorded and also didn't seem to have any idea what was going on with the weather.
We made our way to the travel centre to be told that the last train leaving Edinburgh heading south was the 15:30 LNER service. With a need to get back to London tonight due to young children being looked after. We had to shell out £160 for 2 tickets to London and headed for platform 2 (along with hundreds of other people) only for a platform alteration meaning a mad rush to platform 6. We managed to squeeze on but it was standing room only. Left Edinburgh 10 mins late and it was a pretty slow crawl to our first stop at Berwick where we arrived 40 mins late. We had to make u scheduled stops at Alnmouth, Durham, Doncaster and Grantham eventually arriving into King's X 80 minutes late. I'm hoping that we can claim a full refund on those tickets under delay repay rules as I shouldn't imagine getting much response from Lumo (you get what you pay for). Bad weather happens and I'm just glad we made it home (and also managed to get a seat from York!).
You should be entitled to a full refund of your Lumo tickets, as they have failed to fulfil the service you paid for.
And for your Lner tickets, then yes, delay repay will be applicable.

One of the worst impacted services appears to be 2N35, the 19:15 Northern service from Chathill, which looks like it has been stuck around Pegswood for several hours and is still there now? Usually that part of the service is very quiet but with intercity services being suspended at Alnmouth earlier it is possible it picked up a few more because of that. I feel for anyone who is on that service as being stuck for that long would be unpleasent enough anyway but even worse given the severe winds around here.

ld0595

Some reports / Tweets tonight suggesting at least one train near Stonehaven and another near Huntly has been sitting for over 7 hours due to fallen trees on the line.

Last edited:

Ryry

Grand central have cancelled most of there services from Sunderland tomorrow. Looking likely some will start at York
Northern currently have postponed services from Sunderland to hartlepool and Stockton tomorrow. Reinstating around mid day to Stockton.
No through service to Middlesbrough due to planned engineering works

williamn

Very few services from Edinburgh tonight, seemed like only the slow local services running to Glasgow (which I'm currently on).
Travelling West Coast Glasgow to London tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

I'm in touch with some friends currently stranded at Liverpool Central, with Merseyrail telling them no rail replacement buses are possible as it's too late in the evening. This appears to be on multiple services heading out of Liverpool. I'm told there's an unmanageably large queue for taxis, which passengers are having to pay for themselves, including kids stuck trying to get home, and a confused man who has just been sent on his way not knowing where he is going.

Are Merseyrail within their rights here to not make any arrangements for those stranded? I've been looking at National Rail Conditions of Travel etc but am struggling to find a definitive answer here. My friends are unsure how to proceed and are now resorting to putting pressure on Merseyrail via social media to sort out buses, but do they have any concrete obligations on the part of the operator they can point to here?

If it makes a difference, I'm told some people were on the platform when the decision was made to boot them out of the station, but some were on trains stopped at Liverpool Central.

Any assistance in clarifying whether Merseyrail has some responsibility to these stranded passengers would be much appreciated, thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.